You are not logged in.

#1 2006-09-19 11:05:43

Cagnulein
Website

AUR Orphan Packages

Hi Guys, i would like to discuss with all of you about a possible problem of the AUR system: time by time, I found some packages flagged out-of-date with a "missing" mantainer ( he hasn't dropped his status but dosn't anwer to the question from the AUR users and he dosn't update his package ) so a user can't stay update with that package and if someone want to submit a new version has to create a new package...

I think this is unlogic and would be managed by someone..someone has the strenght ( admin or forum moderator? ) to decide when it's time to remove the power from that mantainer.

I don't want to remove the merits from all the AUR's mantainers, but i think when someone takes an engagement he has the duty to follow it.

Last point: my post's target is not to trigger a flame, i only want to know your opinion smile

Thanks
Cagnulein

#2 2006-09-19 11:17:12

pressh
Developer/TU

Re: AUR Orphan Packages

First, TUs have already the power to orphan packages.

Just an idea which crossed my mind:
I suppose a simple rule like 'out of date > 2 month, then packages is orphaned automatically' is not hard to implement.
Though there are always packages which are out of date because of some issues, so it should be able to set the package as 'outdated because of issues' or something similar.
This way people don't have to contact a TU to orphan a package so they can adopt it and update.

#3 2006-09-19 11:19:39

iphitus
Forum Fellow

If you come across such a package and would like to maintain it or at least update it, just send a message to a TU or to the TUR mailing list and we'll be more than happy to fix it up for you. It's happened plenty of times. That's our job.

James

#4 2006-09-19 11:20:27

Cagnulein
Website

First, TUs have already the power to orphan packages.

My fail, i didn't know this. Anyway like you said, we need an automatic system to solve this gap...

#5 2006-09-19 13:15:36

tomk
Forum Fellow

Feature Request here, with suggested implementations from neotuli and paul. Add your comments, if you want - attach a patch, if you know PHP and have the time.

#6 2006-09-19 15:05:16

phrakture
Arch Overlord
Website

I don't think an automatic system is the way to go.  What rules would be used? How would we know if a package that was not updated in 6 months means the maintainer is AWOL - perhaps there just wasn't a new version?

#7 2006-09-19 15:07:02

pressh
Developer/TU

phrakture wrote:

I don't think an automatic system is the way to go.  What rules would be used? How would we know if a package that was not updated in 6 months means the maintainer is AWOL - perhaps there just wasn't a new version?

Neotuli wrote:

1. An email should be sent to the maintainer when it is marked out of date (perhaps this should be an option, in case someone doesnt want it, added to #3059)
2. Timestamps will be implemented for out of date flags
3. A script will run once a day, any packages that have been flagged out of date for T - 1 week on that day will have another mail sent to the maintainer
4. That same script will find packages that have been flagged out of date for more than T, and orphan them

#8 2006-09-19 17:09:00

dadexter
Website

I agree with the email idea.

I hope no one was talking about my packages btw  wink

#9 2006-09-19 18:35:01

Cagnulein
Website

phrakture wrote:

my idea is applicable only on the out-of-date package...so if there isn't no new version, the package isn't out of date smile

dadexter wrote:

I agree with the email idea.

I hope no one was talking about my packages btw

no, i don't smile

An ET player smile

Board footer