You are not logged in.

#1 2021-01-10 10:57:14

Readek

[SOLVED] KDE - System freezes 2 seconds after desktop loads

I'm stuck in a loop, whenever I load up Plasma, everything from last time (Firefox, Discord, Steam...) gets loaded at once and the thing is, something is freezing my entire system.

Before this happened, I was just browsing the web when I decided to open the file browser. When I clicked it, the entire thing froze, not even ctrl+alt+F? worked, so I rebooted. Now that same issue happens within 2 seconds of loading the desktop, so I assume this happens because Dolphin (or something else) was open in the last session, and its causing the freeze on startup.

This happened once I disabled v-sync from the compositor's settings, though that may be unrelated.

Last package upgrade was yesterday at around 11am CET, running a Ryzen 5 3600 and a 5700XT.

Is there any way I can clean up the session? Is there any way I can log into the terminal on boot without starting KDE?

Last edited by Readek (2021-01-11 16:13:40)

#2 2021-01-10 12:38:00

Lone_Wolf

Re: [SOLVED] KDE - System freezes 2 seconds after desktop loads

Is there any way I can log into the terminal on boot without starting KDE?

yes, append systemd.unit=multi-user.target to your boot command .

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/KDE#Autostart has info where to look for autostarting programs .

Disliking systemd intensely, but not satisfied with alternatives so focusing on taming systemd.

(A works at time B)  && (time C > time B ) ≠  (A works at time C)

#3 2021-01-10 13:38:46

Readek

I don't know where to type that. I thought I had to add it editing the command in Grub but that doesn't work (unless I added it wrong).

To make it clear, its not that the programs are set to auto start, its that the KDE session is loading all open programs from last session, so I would need to clear the session to be able to actually use the desktop for more than 2 seconds.

#4 2021-01-11 16:13:08

Readek

The issue is now fixed. I chrooted to update the system, there were tons of new updates for KDE packages but that didnt fix the issue. But when I booted again, I noticed that after a while, things started moving again for 3 seconds until everything froze for a minute again. With some patience, I managed to go into the compositor settings and re-activated v-sync, then rebooted. Seems like that was the issue, because everything went back to normal.

I'm glad that I got that fixed, but I wish I could deactivate v-sync with no issues since KDE locks the framerate of multiple monitors to the lowest hz monitor.

Board footer