You are not logged in.

#1 2021-01-12 17:16:26

AzmeaL
Website

Can't switch between gpu's after reboot.

I recently switched to ArchLinux as my primary os.
After first reboot optimus manager wasn't working but i was able to use prime-run to run programs on gpu.
In optimus manager's wiki it is saying not to use some display managers so i switched to gdm-prime and by the way I'm using Gnome as desktop manager.
It really annoyed me so i decided to remove nvidia drivers and reinstall them but after reinstallation I wasn't able to run X server.
After that, a friend of mine told me to downgrade my kernel to "5.10.5-arch1-1" so i switched my kernel from "5.10.6.arch1-1".
And after all it still is not working. Can you guys help me about that?

Here is some information about my system.
Output of "optimus-manager --switch nvidia"

ERROR: a GPU setup was initiated but Xorg post-start hook did not run.
Log at /var/log/optimus-manager/switch/switch-20210112T125107.log
If your login manager is GDM, make sure to follow those instructions:
https://github.com/Askannz/optimus-manager#important--gnome-and-gdm-users
If your display manager is neither GDM, SDDM nor LightDM, or if you don't use one, read the wiki:
https://github.com/Askannz/optimus-manager/wiki/FAQ,-common-issues,-troubleshooting

Output of "lspci -k | grep -A 2 -i "VGA""

00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation UHD Graphics 630 (Mobile)
	Subsystem: Acer Incorporated [ALI] Device 1264
	Kernel driver in use: i915
--
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation GP107M [GeForce GTX 1050 Ti Mobile] (rev a1)
	Subsystem: Acer Incorporated [ALI] Device 1265
	Kernel driver in use: nvidia

Optimus Manager switch log

[93] INFO: # Xorg pre-start hook
[93] INFO: Previous state was: {'type': 'pending_pre_xorg_start', 'requested_mode': 'intel', 'current_mode': None}
[93] INFO: Requested mode is: intel
[94] INFO: Checking for GDM display servers
[1316] INFO: Available modules: ['nouveau', 'nvidia', 'nvidia_drm', 'nvidia_modeset', 'nvidia_uvm']
[1316] INFO: Unloading modules ['nvidia_drm', 'nvidia_modeset', 'nvidia_uvm', 'nvidia'] (if loaded)
[1356] INFO: Loaded extra Intel Xorg options (0 lines)
[1356] INFO: Loaded extra Intel Xorg options (0 lines)
[1356] INFO: Writing to /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/10-optimus-manager.conf
[1357] INFO: Writing state {'type': 'pending_post_xorg_start', 'switch_id': '20210112T125107', 'requested_mode': 'intel'}
[1357] INFO: Xorg pre-start hook completed successfully.
[13] INFO: # Xorg post-start hook
[13] INFO: Running /etc/optimus-manager/xsetup-intel.sh
[45] INFO: Writing state {'type': 'done', 'switch_id': '20210112T125107', 'current_mode': 'intel'}
[46] INFO: Xorg post-start hook completed successfully.
[8] INFO: # Xorg pre-start hook
[8] INFO: Previous state was: {'type': 'done', 'switch_id': '20210112T125107', 'current_mode': 'intel'}
[8] INFO: Requested mode is: intel
[8] INFO: Checking for GDM display servers
[80] INFO: Loaded extra Intel Xorg options (0 lines)
[81] INFO: Loaded extra Intel Xorg options (0 lines)
[81] INFO: Writing to /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/10-optimus-manager.conf
[81] INFO: Writing state {'type': 'pending_post_xorg_start', 'switch_id': '20210112T125107', 'requested_mode': 'intel'}
[81] INFO: Xorg pre-start hook completed successfully.

Output of "prime-run steam"

Running Steam on arch rolling 64-bit
STEAM_RUNTIME is enabled automatically
Pins up-to-date!
Steam client's requirements are satisfied
/home/azmeal/.local/share/Steam/ubuntu12_32/steam
WARNING: setlocale('en_US.UTF-8') failed, using locale: 'C'. International characters may not work.
[2021-01-12 20:07:43] Startup - updater built Dec 20 2020 23:07:02
Installing breakpad exception handler for appid(steam)/version(1608507519)
SteamUpdateUI: An X Error occurred
X Error of failed request:  BadValue (integer parameter out of range for operation)

I am kind of a new to GNU/Linux. Especially Arch. So if you need more information please let me know.

big_smile
-Recep Emre Ada

#2 2021-01-12 17:50:33

V1del
Forum Moderator

Re: Can't switch between gpu's after reboot.

For Optimus Manager to do anything together with prime-run you need to use the "hybrid" mode of optimus manager. Intel explicitly and intentionally disables the nvidia card for any use.

You don't even need Optimus Manager in the first place if you want to use prime-run.  FWIW there's no inherent incompatibility with the kernel and the current nvidia drivers there should be no issue in keeping it updated. In any case that doesn't appear to be the log file with the error Optimus manager complains about, can you double check you get the right one?

Your steam error shows that you at least also lack a few preconditions mentioned in https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Steam#Installation

#3 2021-01-12 18:18:22

AzmeaL
Website

Re: Can't switch between gpu's after reboot.

V1del wrote:

For Optimus Manager to do anything together with prime-run you need to use the "hybrid" mode of optimus manager.

Switching to hybrid mode is not working too. And giving same error.

V1del wrote:

In any case that doesn't appear to be the log file with the error Optimus manager complains about, can you double check you get the right one?

I checked "/var/log/optimus-manager/deamon/" and "/var/log/optimus-manager/switch/" both but no error logs.

V1del wrote:

Your steam error shows that you at least also lack a few preconditions mentioned in https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Steam#Installation

It was working before prime-run got broken. I showed this as an example, neither any off the apps working with prime-run.

big_smile
-Recep Emre Ada

Board footer