You are not logged in.

#1 2021-01-12 18:38:23

Ghost-Order

[SOLVED] Files remained from a failed Brave installation because space

Today I tried to install brave from AUR using the yay helper but I didn't notice that I was running out of space in my home partition, at some point the process stoped and of course brave wasn't actually installed but my home partition remained at 100% of usage (previously it had like 40 GB left).

I supposed it was because the dependencies needed to build brave so I removed the orphans with 'pacman -Rs $(pacman -Qqtd)', however my home partition still is at 100% of usage with just 0.04 mb free, I even reboot just in case but it's the same.

I would like to provide the logs, but I don't know where yay store its logs or if it even store them at all.

I'm guessing that the build files remained at my home partition but I don't know where they are and if it is safe to manually delete those.

Edit: Sorry for this, I just realize that the plugin I use to see my disk space in my topbar is not showing it correctly, when I run 'df -H' on the related partition it returns:
Filesystem      Size    Used    Avail   Use%   Mounted on
/dev/sda3       931G  883G   44M    100%    /home
So the issue here is df , it is not translating correctly the percentage of the remained space.

I would like to delete this post but I don't find any button for that.

Last edited by Ghost-Order (2021-01-12 19:40:37)

#2 2021-01-12 18:52:05

loqs

Re: [SOLVED] Files remained from a failed Brave installation because space

Did you check the man page of yay to see if there was an option to print its current config?
There is not safety issue in manually removing package sources,  or built packages.

#3 2021-01-12 19:12:47

Ghost-Order

loqs wrote:

Did you check the man page of yay to see if there was an option to print its current config?
There is not safety issue in manually removing package sources,  or built packages.

There is no mention of 'log' in the yay man page, but as I said in the edit note, the issue was that my topbar plugin wasn't showing correctly the data, the 'df -H' command shows that indeed there is 40GB of free space but for some reason it still says 100% usage.

So I think a better question would be why is df not showing correctly the percentage and what can I do to fix it, but I guess that would be a question for another subforum.

Last edited by Ghost-Order (2021-01-12 19:13:24)

#4 2021-01-12 19:18:56

Slithery
Administrator

df is correct. Apparantly you've forgotten about the 5% reserved space that doesn't get counted?
You need to delete the build files that yay produced, the documentation should tell you where these are.

No, it didn't "fix" anything. It just shifted the brokeness one space to the right. - jasonwryan
Closing -- for deletion; Banning -- for muppetry. - jasonwryan

aur - dotfiles

#5 2021-01-12 19:28:31

loqs

Ghost-Order wrote:
loqs wrote:

There is no mention of 'log' in the yay man page,

man 8 yay wrote:

-P, --show
              Perform yay specific print operations.
       -g, --currentconfig
              Print current yay configuration.

#6 2021-01-12 19:34:34

Ghost-Order

Slithery wrote:

df is correct. Apparantly you've forgotten about the 5% reserved space that doesn't get counted?
You need to delete the build files that yay produced, the documentation should tell you where these are.

My bad, I didn't notice that I have 44M available... not 44GB, god I don't know why I couldn't see it before. Will look into the yay documentation, thanks.

#7 2021-01-12 19:39:53

Ghost-Order

loqs wrote:
Ghost-Order wrote:
loqs wrote:

There is no mention of 'log' in the yay man page,

man 8 yay wrote:

-P, --show
              Perform yay specific print operations.
       -g, --currentconfig
              Print current yay configuration.

Thank you very much.

#8 2021-01-12 21:07:12

Stefan Husmann

btw, 'pacman -Rs $(pacman -Qqtd)' won't delete anything from your home partition, because pacman packages do not use it.

Board footer