You are not logged in.

#1 2020-05-19 15:45:58

TheSheepGuy

How frequenctly should I update a -git package?

I maintain vgmtrans-git, the reason for using a -git package instead of a regular one is that the developer doesn't have any releases and instead wants you to compile it from source. Should I update this package with every new commit, on a time basis (e.g. weekly, fortnightly, etc.), or when N commits have been made?

#2 2020-05-19 15:48:58

Scimmia
Fellow

Re: How frequenctly should I update a -git package?

None of the above. Only update the PKGBUILD in the AUR when something needs changing.

#3 2020-05-19 16:12:13

loqs

If you update when nothing in the PKGBUILD has changed apart from the VCS version you produce a git log such as https://aur.archlinux.org/cgit/aur.git/log/?h=servo-git

#4 2020-05-19 18:40:08

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

TheSheepGuy wrote:

I maintain vgmtrans-git, the reason for using a -git package instead of a regular one is that the developer doesn't have any releases and instead wants you to compile it from source.

No, this is not the reason for using a -git package.  Any non-git packages with releases would still be compiled from source (assuming it's a compiled program in the first place).  The reason for using a -git package is to be able to use the latest code regardless of whether or not there are tagged releases.

But for your actual question - as noted above.  No.  Don't update an -git PKGBUILD just to increment the commit number.

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#5 2020-05-19 23:59:54

eschwartz
Fellow

loqs wrote:

If you update when nothing in the PKGBUILD has changed apart from the VCS version you produce a git log such as https://aur.archlinux.org/cgit/aur.git/log/?h=servo-git

I've opened an issue for this: https://github.com/archlinuxcn/lilac/issues/146

Managing AUR repos The Right Way -- aurpublish (now a standalone tool)

#6 2021-01-12 09:09:11

potatocup

Scimmia wrote:

None of the above. Only update the PKGBUILD in the AUR when something needs changing.

Did I understand correctly, that a correctly created -git package does not need any manual work to always pull the current git repository state? Does it also always automatically update the version number when the git repository changes, if I set up the pkgver() method correctly?
I published my first AUR package some time ago https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/rpiplay-git/ and still don't understand how the update process on -git packages works.

#7 2021-01-12 14:22:32

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

potatocup wrote:

Did I understand correctly, that a correctly created -git package does not need any manual work to always pull the current git repository state? Does it also always automatically update the version number when the git repository changes, if I set up the pkgver() method correctly?

Yes and yes.  That's the point.  It's possible for a properly made -git PKGBUILD to never need any changes.  The newest / current code will always be used when one runs makepkg on it.

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#8 2021-01-13 18:17:11

equalizer876

As someone who installs some -git packages on my PC, how often should I update (makepkg) it? Auracle won't notify me, because there are no release tags at all. So I need to manually set a rule when to update that AUR package.

#9 2021-01-13 18:36:14

a821

nvchecker can track upstream changes, in particular new commits in Github, among others. There is an official Arch package as well.

#10 2021-01-14 01:02:53

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

equalizer876 wrote:

how often should I update (makepkg) it?

Whenever you want.  It's not hard to have a vague idea how active upstream is.  But in any case, if you run makepkg, it will tell you if there is anything to do or not.

Board footer