You are not logged in.

#1 2021-01-19 12:23:21

jmal

[SOLVED] Arch Generic VM Image Login Problem

Hi all, I am trying to run the generic Arch Linux qcow2 cloud image from the arch-boxes gitlab project (found here: https://gitlab.archlinux.org/archlinux/ … se/output) with QEMU. However, I cannot login using the default arch account mentioned on the gitlab README, or the root account. The README makes no mention of the password for the account.

I tried several generic passwords (arch/arch, root/root, arch/archlinux, no password, etc.) but wasn't able to login. Eventually I logged in by mounting the qcow2 image via qemu-nbd and copying over my own password files, but I would like to be able to use the image without this workaround.

Please tell me if I am missing something obvious here, and thanks in advance!

Last edited by jmal (2021-01-19 14:46:55)

#2 2021-01-19 13:52:01

Lone_Wolf

Re: [SOLVED] Arch Generic VM Image Login Problem

The link gives a 404 page not found, https://gitlab.archlinux.org/archlinux/ … ild:secure  does redirect to that same page.

There are 3 different images listed ( cloud image, libvirt and virtualbox ) . Which one are you trying to use ?

Have you tried user arch without a password ?

Disliking systemd intensely, but not satisfied with alternatives so focusing on taming systemd.

(A works at time B)  && (time C > time B ) ≠  (A works at time C)

#3 2021-01-19 14:31:28

jmal

Hi, my bad on the link, the right parenthesis was mistakenly taken as part of the link. I am trying to use the cloud image, I may also try libvirt with virt-manager later. And yes, I tried the arch user with no password, still won't login, thanks though.

#4 2021-01-19 14:45:52

jmal

I mounted the image again and chrooted into it. I actually found out that there is no arch user for some reason, so I manually added the user and set up a password. This is a cleaner solution so I'll mark the post as solved.

#5 2021-01-31 08:12:27

klausenbusk

The cloud image doesn't ship with a preconfigured user and the image is meant to be used in "the cloud" (the user is created by cloud-init according to config pulled from the datasource, arch is the default user cloud-init uses).

You can use the Config Drive datasource if you want to set the password:

$ cat > user-data <<EOF
#cloud-config
password: '1234'
chpasswd: { expire: False }
ssh_pwauth: True
EOF
$ cloud-localds seed.img user-data

Then boot the image with seed.img attached.

A basic image was added recently which comes preconfigured with a user (user/pw: arch/arch). I think it is what you want smile

#6 2021-02-02 10:37:50

jmal

Thanks a lot, the basic image is exactly what I'm looking for, it will definitely help me deploy some VMs for experimenting much quicker :)

Board footer