You are not logged in.

#1 2021-01-21 08:21:55

awagner

[SOLVED] Update maxes out 1 CPU core and keeps going...

Dear all,

after having postponed it for a day or so, this morning I started a system update (I have to admit, via `yay -Syu`). It downloaded 32 files, among which were `linux-5.10.9.arch1-1` and other kernel-related files. After the download, I did get this:

(32/32) Überprüfe verfügbaren Festplattenspeicher  [##############] 100%
:: Starte pre-transaction hooks...
(1/2) Removing linux initcpios...
(2/2) Remove DKMS modules
==> dkms remove --no-depmod -m steamos-xpad -v 20190810 -k 5.10.8-arch1-1
==> depmod 5.10.8-arch1-1
:: Verarbeite Paketänderungen...

and then it stayed there. Calling `htop`, I see 1 cpu core at 100% with the command

pacman -S -u -y --config /etc/pacman.conf --

After about 30 minutes (it never takes this long!), I got nervous and Ctrl-C'ed the `yay` command. Now I'm back at my command prompt, but the process is still running (for something like 50 minutes as I am writing this). Additionally, when I try to `su` or `sudo something` now, I get an error message:

error while loading shared libraries: libaudit.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

My current kernel is this:

⏚ θ75° [:~] $ uname -a
Linux lovelace 5.10.8-arch1-1 #1 SMP PREEMPT Sun, 17 Jan 2021 22:07:13 +0000 x86_64 GNU/Linux

I feel that the pacman update has gone astray but am afraid to just kill everything and reboot and hope for the best.
Do you have any advice for me?

Thanks in advance

PS. Since I was preparing to reboot anyway, all the other processes have been closed and nothing else consumes much cpu. Well, I've re-launched chromium to write this, but this should not present a significant burden at the moment. (I have 8 cores, avg load of 1.4.)
PPS. Trying to log in on a console (either as root or as me as regular user) just takes me back to the login prompt. I'm afraid I will not be able to even acquire the rights necessary to fix anything... sad

Last edited by awagner (2021-01-21 10:45:34)

#2 2021-01-21 10:29:00

awagner

Re: [SOLVED] Update maxes out 1 CPU core and keeps going...

I think after more than two hours in which the pacman process has not achieved anything and is still at 100% cpu - and because I seem to have lost /usr/lib/libaudit.* and cannot get root privileges anymore, I am going to try my luck with a reboot and a recovery usb drive...

Aaaand - success. I could arch-chroot into the system, issue a simple `pacman -Su` (since it had already downloaded everything) and reboot. And everything is up and running well again. Marking this solved now.

Last edited by awagner (2021-01-21 10:45:18)

Board footer