You are not logged in.

#1 2021-01-21 03:56:51

Coalms

[SOLVED]Exec(v or any) function related problems

The request:
Please help me figure out whats up with execv and/or where to find it as I can't find the thing itself OR the parent package while I am lost looking for it
realized it was missing earlier not being able to run a program from git,trying to run execv in a c file by myself wont work so I thought its me missing libs here
lastly if anyone needs it the git source is this this git so if you need to check for "mistakes" that are not my own but the program's itself go on but to save the trouble you can read bellow what I did while looking for it

What happened (you can skip this one but if you need to know more go on):
I was trying to run a program from git following the usual rundown,git clone,cd to folder,edit config file,sudo make clean install,the classics
until stumbled upon "updateblock - child execv: No such file or directory"
hmm...after research and whatnot I found out that execv is part of a "family of functions" (quoting man or Linux Programmer's manual to be exact ) to execute files thought I can pacman it,nop,aur?nop trying to sed execv to any of the other exec-l-lp-le-vp-vpe or even exec by itself.....nop just errors on compile
ok ok I know try find and grep using which..nop maybe

sudo find / | grep -E "execl|execlp|execle|execv|execvp|execvpe" 

aaaaaaand nop,lastly I thought maybe the maintainer of the git package made an update with a mistake and I just stumble upon it on a bad time,
checking code,include unistd.h in there ,any other requirements....nop
hmm...I'm lost again

Last edited by Coalms (2021-01-21 16:03:06)

#2 2021-01-21 04:04:43

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

Re: [SOLVED]Exec(v or any) function related problems

The exec[vlpe] functions are system function calls, not binaries to be found somewhere in your filesystem.

As for the rest of your post, I can't really make much sense of what you are saying.  Please take time to use complete sentences with punctuation.  Also edit your title: definitely remove "need help" as that serves no purpose.  I also don't know what "MISSING posters up" means.

You quote an error message which indicates some target whas not found, but it is not that "execv" is not found, but rather the error is from execv.  Whatever was passed as the first parameter to execv was not found.

EDIT:

After checking the code, I see the only calls to execv in that project pass "arg[0]" as the first parameter.  So whatever is not found is user provided, likely from the configuration you did.  Please specify exactly what you have done.

EDIT 2:

Upon further reading of the code, this is due to something you have specified as a "pathu" program in your blocks.h is not found.  Please post your blocks.h - specifically the section starting "static Blocks blocks[] = {".  I'd guess one of the "pathu" programs you've specified is not in your PATH and/or you have not correctly update the PATH() macro in your blocks.h file.

Last edited by Trilby (2021-01-21 04:22:29)

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#3 2021-01-21 15:51:04

Coalms

Snap i thought it was a build of a binary( of a c lib) I was looking for the wrong thing I guess,Ill take some time checking the code myself real quick with your guidance from your reply and post back if im lost

also apparently since its not what I thought it was(file missing from my system) I made a "wrong post" so sorry for the time waste here ;/

#4 2021-01-21 16:02:42

Coalms

Well that was embarrassing I used "$HOME" on a .c file AND forgot to put a last / at the end
I thought my problem was me missing something on the computer that I should have ie I broke something beforehand but no I was missing something on the program itself hmm
Thank you for the small guidance @Trilby

Board footer