You are not logged in.

#476 2020-12-26 13:51:49

seth

Re: chromium: hardware video acceleration with VA-API

No. He has issues w/ his GL installation. Because he's using manjaro.
Please don't hijack threads for solicitation - both is in violation of the forum standards.

#477 2020-12-26 22:44:04

DAC324

digitalone wrote:

Guys, if you have issues in Chromium, start using Firefox, hardware acceleration is working good there.

But font rendering of web pages is awful sad

#478 2020-12-26 23:01:08

DAC324

digitalone wrote:

Guys, if you have issues in Chromium, start using Firefox, hardware acceleration is working good there.

But font rendering of web pages is awful sad

Looks like recent versions of Firefox not only ignore system settings but also any "font_rendering" tweaks in about:config.

Last edited by DAC324 (2020-12-27 12:10:16)

#479 2020-12-26 23:08:51

DAC324

seth wrote:
[     4.277] (II) LoadModule: "glx"
[     4.278] (II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/extensions/libglx.so
[     4.289] (II) Module glx: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
…
[     4.305] (EE) NVIDIA(0): Failed to initialize the GLX module; please check in your X
[     4.305] (EE) NVIDIA(0):     log file that the GLX module has been loaded in your X
[     4.305] (EE) NVIDIA(0):     server, and that the module is the NVIDIA GLX module.  If
[     4.305] (EE) NVIDIA(0):     you continue to encounter problems, Please try
[     4.305] (EE) NVIDIA(0):     reinstalling the NVIDIA driver.
…
[     4.773] (II) GLX: Initialized DRISWRAST GL provider for screen 0

Indeed - that was the problem. For some very weird reason, these lines

ModulePath "/usr/lib/nvidia/xorg"
    ModulePath "/usr/lib/xorg/modules"

were both entirely missing from /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/10-nvidia-drm-outputclass.conf and hence, X did not recognize the Nvidia libglx.so sad

So it looks like you're right again:

seth wrote:

You do have

local/nvidia-390xx-utils 390.138-1
    NVIDIA drivers utilities

so the problem is that the module path isn't extende what would be done by  /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/10-nvidia-drm-outputclass.conf provide by that package - if this was archlinux.

=> Manjaro problem. Completely unrelated to chromium. Ask the Manjaro boards. Nobody here can possibly help you and it would violate board rules anyway.

Thank you once again and apologies for any inconvenience.  - And also thanks a bunch for the detailed debugging instructions for X problems. That surely will help me a lot going forward.

Kind regards and a relaxing holiday season,

DAC324

Last edited by DAC324 (2020-12-27 12:49:37)

#480 2021-01-21 19:32:44

TheWeirdDev

When I enable Vulkan in chrome://flags in Chromium 88, all the hardware-accelerated videos are blank and only the sound plays (I have nvidia). But when I use the '--use-vulkan' option in command line instead of that flag, the videos play just fine.

I'm not sure if that option fixes the issue, or it just doesn't enable Vulkan at all. It's kind of weird. The 'gpu' page says that Vulkan is enabled, but how can you make sure if it actually is?

Last edited by TheWeirdDev (2021-01-21 19:35:11)

#481 2021-01-21 22:19:31

xuanrui

Eh, seems that Chromium 88 broke everything again. Hardware decoding isn't working for me on 88.

Never mind, 88 was innocent. The thing is that --use-gl=desktop was required again. IIRC for version 86, I was able to get video acceleration on ANGLE just fine, so no --use-gl=desktop.

Anyone could explain why this is the case? Much thanks.

Last edited by xuanrui (2021-01-21 23:22:04)

#482 2021-01-22 06:42:09

kkkkkking

TheWeirdDev wrote:

When I enable Vulkan in chrome://flags in Chromium 88, all the hardware-accelerated videos are blank and only the sound plays (I have nvidia). But when I use the '--use-vulkan' option in command line instead of that flag, the videos play just fine.

I'm not sure if that option fixes the issue, or it just doesn't enable Vulkan at all. It's kind of weird. The 'gpu' page says that Vulkan is enabled, but how can you make sure if it actually is?

Same here. With chrome://flags or '--enable-features=Vulkan' the video went blank -- tracked  here.

But as you mentioned, with latest version  '--use-vulkan' now reports vulkan enabled in gpu status

#483 2021-01-25 13:25:16

DAC324

TheWeirdDev wrote:

When I enable Vulkan in chrome://flags in Chromium 88, all the hardware-accelerated videos are blank and only the sound plays (I have nvidia). [...]
But as you mentioned, with latest version  '--use-vulkan' now reports vulkan enabled in gpu status

Looks like Vulkan is enabled on the latest Nvidia drivers only. If you happen to use version 390, Vulkan remains off in chrome://gpu despite of any flags set.

#484 2021-01-26 15:44:21

extender

Is there any way to get this working with the quadro 770M?

Using nouveau:

If you download the nvidia decoder firmware and put it in /lib/firmware it decodes H264 but is as slow as CPU and drops frames.
Unfortunately nouveau appears to have poor power management and other issues, it's still terrible.

Using nvidia-340-dkms:

Chrome 84: detects with --use-gl=egl but no video formats are shown
Chrome 87: run with no flag, using angle, formats detect but MojoVideoDecoder falls back to ffmpeg with VDA4 error.

Using --use-gl=desktop causes gpu to not be detected at all.

So I tried firefox, so far only on nvidia-340

VA-API FFmpeg is disabled by platform sad

I get there was some issue with chrome looking for VAProfile None and the vdpau wrapper not providing it? Is there some patch? Maybe a specific version of chrome to try?

#485 2021-01-30 14:05:44

jmandawg

Just an FYI, i had to enable all 3 of these flags to get video acceleration to work on nvidia 1660ti and chromium from the official repos:

#Video Acceleration
--use-gl=desktop
--enable-accelerated-video-decode
--ignore-gpu-blacklist

Maybe the wiki should be updated because it seem --enable-accelerated-video-decode is required when using nvidia, the wiki says it's only need when using ANGLE.

#486 2021-01-30 23:55:48

extender

Besides --use-gl all the other ones can be set inside chrome://flags

#487 2021-02-02 08:27:14

DAC324

extender wrote:

Besides --use-gl all the other ones can be set inside chrome://flags

There is also

~/.config/chromium-flags.conf

for chromium and

~/.config/chromium-dev-flags.conf

for chromium-dev.

#488 2021-02-18 14:09:54

DAC324

xtknight wrote:

However, you can watch h.264 videos with hardware acceleration with the existing VDPAU-VAAPI wrapper. About fullscreen, I haven't modified anything related to fullscreening in this patch but that may be an issue unrelated to VDPAU.

Sorry for the offtopic - but is there something similar as the patch discussed here required to get Firefox working with hardware accelerated video playback on VDPAU systems?

Thank you very much in advance for the clarification.

#489 2021-03-12 03:08:30

justkdng

New chromium 89 has use_vaapi disabled, what happened?

GPG key: 3DEA 6251 3C80 3538 3A24  5A12 E578 6B42 E8E5 D565

#490 2021-03-12 09:33:47

jpegxguy

hi

#491 2021-03-12 15:43:12

foutrelis
Developer
Website

use_vaapi has defaulted to true since Chromium 88 so its removal from the PKGBUILD didn't disable it.

The reason it stopped working in Chromium 89 is because it was changed from a switch to a feature. It can be re-enabled from chrome://flags/#enable-accelerated-video-decode (or with the --enable-features=VaapiVideoDecoder flag).

#492 2021-03-12 16:58:55

justkdng

I have --enable-accelerated-video-decode on my chromium-flags.conf and it doesn't work, had to add it to the enable-features flag

GPG key: 3DEA 6251 3C80 3538 3A24  5A12 E578 6B42 E8E5 D565

#493 2021-03-13 10:07:52

digitalone

Always the same issue with Chromium on my AMD system. 1080p60 vaapi playback has microblocks every 3/4 seconds. That does not happen with Firefox.

Last edited by digitalone (2021-03-13 10:08:30)

#494 2021-03-25 12:32:46

DAC324

There used to be a chromium-dev package in AUR at https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/chromium-dev - but it has been flagged Out Of Date.
Does that mean that this package is no longer maintained? If yes, are there any successors?

I am asking this because the version number of the regular chromium (89.0.4389.90) has already overtaken the one of chromium-dev (89.0.4381.6).

#495 2021-03-25 12:40:29

progandy

DAC324 wrote:

There used to be a chromium-dev package in AUR at https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/chromium-dev - but it has been flagged Out Of Date.
Does that mean that this package is no longer maintained? If yes, are there any successors?

I am asking this because the version number of the regular chromium (89.0.4389.90) has already overtaken the one of chromium-dev (89.0.4381.6).

Out of date means there is a newer version and the PKGBUILD has to be updated (In this case using the same version number as the chrome-dev releases).

https://www.chromium.org/getting-involv … d-chromium

Last edited by progandy (2021-03-25 12:41:02)

| alias CUTF='LANG=en_XX.UTF-8@POSIX ' |

#496 2021-03-25 13:56:38

DAC324

progandy wrote:
DAC324 wrote:

Out of date means there is a newer version and the PKGBUILD has to be updated (In this case using the same version number as the chrome-dev releases).

https://www.chromium.org/getting-involv … d-chromium

Indeed, there is already version 91.0.4455.2 of chromium-dev available.

Unfortunately, simply changing the version number in PKGBUILD is not enough as there were several changes to the source, causing compile to fail with the current PKGBUILD.

Example:

ninja: error: '../../third_party/perfetto/protos/third_party/chromium/chrome_track_event.proto', needed by 'gen/third_party/perfetto/protos/third_party/chromium/chrome_track_event.descriptor', missing and no known rule to make it
ninja: error: '../../third_party/perfetto/src/protozero/protoc_plugin/protozero_plugin.cc', needed by 'obj/third_party/perfetto/src/protozero/protoc_plugin/protozero_plugin/protozero_plugin.o', missing and no known rule to make it
ninja: error: '../../third_party/tflite-support/src/tensorflow_lite_support/metadata/metadata_schema.fbs', needed by 'gen/third_party/tflite-support/src/tensorflow_lite_support/metadata/metadata_schema_generated.h', missing and no known rule to make it

The problem is that the package maintainer, sl1pkn07 (who, unfortunately, has passed away - hope he rests in peace) tried to remove unnecessary packages from the package before compiling and installing.
Looks like as of now, all third party packages that come with Chromium (except for the Android ones) are mandatory for compiling.

But even with the function to remove unwanted third party packages removed (i.e. leaving everything in), I get Python errors:

/usr/bin/python "../../build/toolchain/gcc_solink_wrapper.py" --readelf="readelf" --nm="nm"  --sofile="./libcodec.so" --tocfile="./libcodec.so.TOC" --output="./libcodec.so" -- /home/gerd/Downloads/chromium-dev/src/chromium-91.0.4455.2/third_party/llvm-build/Release+Asserts/bin/clang++ -shared -Wl,-soname="libcodec.so" -fuse-ld=/home/gerd/Downloads/chromium-dev/src/chromium-91.0.4455.2/third_party/llvm-build/Release+Asserts/bin/ld.lld -Wl,--fatal-warnings -Wl,--build-id -fPIC -Wl,-z,noexecstack -Wl,-z,relro -Wl,-z,defs -Wl,--as-needed -Wl,--icf=all -Wl,--color-diagnostics -Wl,--no-call-graph-profile-sort -m64 -Wl,-O2 -Wl,--gc-sections -rdynamic -nostdlib++ -Wl,-rpath=\$ORIGIN -Wl,-O1,--sort-common,--as-needed,-z,relro,-z,now -o "./libcodec.so" @"./libcodec.so.rsp"
FAILED: libcodec.so libcodec.so.TOC 
/usr/bin/python "../../build/toolchain/gcc_solink_wrapper.py" --readelf="readelf" --nm="nm"  --sofile="./libcodec.so" --tocfile="./libcodec.so.TOC" --output="./libcodec.so" -- /home/gerd/Downloads/chromium-dev/src/chromium-91.0.4455.2/third_party/llvm-build/Release+Asserts/bin/clang++ -shared -Wl,-soname="libcodec.so" -fuse-ld=/home/gerd/Downloads/chromium-dev/src/chromium-91.0.4455.2/third_party/llvm-build/Release+Asserts/bin/ld.lld -Wl,--fatal-warnings -Wl,--build-id -fPIC -Wl,-z,noexecstack -Wl,-z,relro -Wl,-z,defs -Wl,--as-needed -Wl,--icf=all -Wl,--color-diagnostics -Wl,--no-call-graph-profile-sort -m64 -Wl,-O2 -Wl,--gc-sections -rdynamic -nostdlib++ -Wl,-rpath=\$ORIGIN -Wl,-O1,--sort-common,--as-needed,-z,relro,-z,now -o "./libcodec.so" @"./libcodec.so.rsp"
ld.lld: error: undefined symbol: cr_png_sig_cmp
>>> referenced by png_codec.cc
>>>               obj/ui/gfx/codec/codec/png_codec.o:(gfx::PNGCodec::Decode(unsigned char const*, unsigned long, gfx::PNGCodec::ColorFormat, std::__Cr::vector<unsigned char, std::__Cr::allocator<unsigned char> >*, int*, int*))
>>>               obj/ui/gfx/codec/codec/png_codec.o:(gfx::PNGCodec::Decode(unsigned char const*, unsigned long, SkBitmap*))

ld.lld: error: undefined symbol: cr_png_destroy_read_struct
>>>               obj/ui/gfx/codec/codec/png_codec.o:(gfx::PNGCodec::Decode(unsigned char const*, unsigned long, gfx::PNGCodec::ColorFormat, std::__Cr::vector<unsigned char, std::__Cr::allocator<unsigned char> >*, int*, int*))
>>>               obj/ui/gfx/codec/codec/png_codec.o:(gfx::PNGCodec::Decode(unsigned char const*, unsigned long, SkBitmap*))

ld.lld: error: undefined symbol: cr_png_create_read_struct

ld.lld: error: undefined symbol: cr_png_create_info_struct

ld.lld: error: undefined symbol: cr_png_set_longjmp_fn
>>>               obj/ui/gfx/codec/codec/png_codec.o:(gfx::(anonymous namespace)::LogLibPNGDecodeError(png_struct_def*, char const*))
>>>               obj/ui/gfx/codec/codec/png_codec.o:(gfx::(anonymous namespace)::DecodeInfoCallback(png_struct_def*, png_info_def*))
>>> referenced 1 more times

ld.lld: error: undefined symbol: cr_png_set_error_fn

ld.lld: error: undefined symbol: cr_png_set_progressive_read_fn

ld.lld: error: undefined symbol: cr_png_process_data

ld.lld: error: undefined symbol: cr_png_get_progressive_ptr
>>>               obj/ui/gfx/codec/codec/png_codec.o:(gfx::(anonymous namespace)::DecodeInfoCallback(png_struct_def*, png_info_def*))
>>>               obj/ui/gfx/codec/codec/png_codec.o:(gfx::(anonymous namespace)::DecodeRowCallback(png_struct_def*, unsigned char*, unsigned int, int))
>>>               obj/ui/gfx/codec/codec/png_codec.o:(gfx::(anonymous namespace)::DecodeEndCallback(png_struct_def*, png_info_def*))

ld.lld: error: undefined symbol: cr_png_get_IHDR

ld.lld: error: undefined symbol: cr_png_set_expand

ld.lld: error: undefined symbol: cr_png_get_valid

ld.lld: error: undefined symbol: cr_png_set_strip_16

ld.lld: error: undefined symbol: cr_png_set_bgr

ld.lld: error: undefined symbol: cr_png_set_add_alpha

ld.lld: error: undefined symbol: cr_png_set_gray_to_rgb

ld.lld: error: undefined symbol: cr_png_get_gAMA

ld.lld: error: undefined symbol: cr_png_set_gAMA

ld.lld: error: undefined symbol: cr_png_set_gamma

ld.lld: error: undefined symbol: cr_png_set_read_user_transform_fn

ld.lld: error: too many errors emitted, stopping now (use -error-limit=0 to see all errors)

Looks like I finally found the reason sl1pkn07 gave up on this package - I guess it is time for me to give up as well sad

Last edited by DAC324 (2021-03-26 15:58:02)

#497 2021-03-27 03:40:15

jpegxguy

I just wanted to put this out there for anyone that might have this issue in the future. It seems that chromium/chrome will only apply the last instance of the --enable-features flag/cmd argument. So if you're like me and use both VaapiVideoDecoder AND WebUIDarkMode, write them in the same line like this: --enable-features=VaapiVideoDecoder,WebUIDarkMode

This was the reason I couldn't get hardware acceleration to work.

Last edited by jpegxguy (2021-03-27 03:45:47)

hi

#498 2021-03-29 13:31:43

DAC324

In case somebody is interested in testing the latest version (91.0.4455.2) of chromium-dev, I have suggested a patch in the comment section of the chromium-dev AUR package.

Only drawback observed with this version so far: It has to be started with --no-sandbox, otherwise, no text is displayed at all places where the browser's default font is used.
Looks like the sandbox, as of now, uses a Fontconfig setting different from the one present on the system, resulting in

Fontconfig error: Cannot load default config file: No such file: (null)

#499 2021-03-29 13:33:07

BachoSeven

@DAC324 I've seen that `Fontconfig` error quite often in chromium logs, so I don't think it's a new warning

#500 2021-03-29 13:36:05

BachoSeven

@DAC324 I've seen that `Fontconfig` error quite often in chromium logs, so I don't think it's a new warning. It's mentioned here and also here

Board footer