You are not logged in.

#1 2021-01-27 01:41:15

luser

[SOLVED] New DVD Drive Causes Audio Snafu with VLC

My old DVD drive failed, and I replaced it with a new BluRay drive. When I try to watch a DVD using VLC, the picture is fine, but the sound sounds like a card going across the spokes of a bicycle. When I try using SMPlayer, the sound is fine, but the picture is all black.

$ sudo pacman -Rsn smplayer vlc

I have tried uninstalling both smplayer and vlc and deleting ~/.config/smplayer and ~/.config/vlc and then reinstalling them, but it didn't help. I've also tried reinstalling the following:
aom
dav1d
ffmpeg
libavc1394
libdc1394
libbluray
flac
twolame
libcdio
mpg123
libogg
libmodplug
libvpx
libvorbis
speex
opus
libtheora
x264
x265
libass
libpulse
alsa-lib
jack
libsamplerate
libsoxr

And I've uninstalled and reinstalled these:
kmplayer
mplayer
k3b
libdvdcss
vcdimager
libdvdread
libdvdnav
gst-plugins-bad
transcode
cheese
gstreamer-vaapi
gnome-video-effects
zvbi

Nothing I've done so far has helped. Trying to play audio with Smplayer and video with VLC simultaneously doesn't seem very practical.
Does anyone have any suggestions for getting the drive to play both audio and video with one program? I can live with either Smplayer or VLC,
so getting the audio to work with VLC or getting video to work with Smplayer would be enough.

The fact that the drive works fine when I boot to Windows, proves the hardware works. The old drive used to work perfectly on linux, but the drawer fails to close reliably now, so it was time to replace it.

One other piece of information that might help is that audio CDs don't work very well in linux with this drive now. They play, but at irregular intervals the sound just drops out completely for 5 to 10 seconds, then it resumes. Again, I don't see this with Windows.

Last edited by luser (2021-02-01 00:05:14)

luser: an epithet applied by Windows users to linux users

#2 2021-01-27 10:30:36

d_fajardo

Re: [SOLVED] New DVD Drive Causes Audio Snafu with VLC

If you go to Toolbar->Audio in VLC, do you see your default audio device in the Audio Device dropdown?

#3 2021-01-27 18:35:56

luser

I wish it were that simple! Tantalizingly, the default device was listed, but not selected. Unfortunately, selecting it did not improve the situation. I only have built-in analog stereo as a choice, but that is the only hardware, so it seems correct.

Last edited by luser (2021-01-28 01:23:46)

#4 2021-01-30 00:11:23

luser

$ mplayer dvd://1

I was able to play audio and video using mplayer from the command line. It appears to be using AC-3 as the audio codec.

Furthermore, when I switch from Wayland to X11, smplayer (note smplayer, not mplayer) produces both video and audio. I had Wayland support enabled in SMPlayer's settings, but it still didn't work on Wayland. I'm fine with switching to X11 to resolve this problem for now to use SMPlayer.

Unfortunately, VLC, which is my preference, still produces clickety-clackety sounds but no intelligible audio regardless of whether it's on Wayland or X11. I am running KDE Plasma for my desktop environment, and in case anyone wonders, I have set the drive to region 1 using regionset from the AUR.

So, my problem is reduced to not being able to get audio from VLC, and I'm going to amend the title to reflect that.

********************* update ************************

I was finally able to resolve my problem by doing this:

Tools
Preferences
Audio
  Change Output Module to: ALSA Audio Output
  Set Device to: Pipewire Sound Server
  Save
Close and Restart VLC

I spent a lot of time changing the audio related values to no avail, until I realized that for each change, it's necessary to close and restart VLC for it to take effect.

I'm calling this one solved.

Last edited by luser (2021-02-01 02:33:01)

Board footer