You are not logged in.

#1 2021-01-28 19:06:24

leminhman0312

Use only XFCE panel in i3wm, show shutdown/restart/logout.. dialog?

Problem

I am using i3wm on an up to date Arch install. Following the Arch wiki, I run the xfce4-panel by:

exec --no-startup-id xfce4-panel --disable-wm-check 

And then I commented out whatever block I am using, in the

bar{... } 

section.

Everything works as expected.  But, I could not figure out how to get my current exit/restart/logout dialog to appear. 

I exit i3wm by

bindsym $mod+0 mode "$mode_system"
set $mode_system (l)ock, (e)xit, switch_(u)ser, (s)uspend, (h)ibernate, (r)eboot, (Shift+s)hutdown
mode "$mode_system" {
	bindsym r exec --no-startup-id i3exit reboot, mode "default"
        #....etc..etc.....
}

which runs an i3exit script, which looks something like this: https://pastebin.com/Fehcsg5s

So, when I press "mod+0", I would get a dialog on the i3bar and I can choose whichever options to exit/logout/restart...etc. 

Now, I only have the xfce4-panel running, so pressing "mod+0" would not show this dialog.  In fact, the command works but it is tied to the i3bar, so I could not see anything because i3bar is now not running.

To test, I pressed "mod+0".  Nothing showed up but if I kept going and press "e" for example, the system would exit like normal.

Is there a way to have this dialog box show up? The only thing I want in i3wm is just the xfce4-panel. 

Attempt

I found other solutions suggesting running an "xfce4-session" in i3wm so I can run "xfce4-session-logout".  However, I do not any other xfce stuff to run, only the panel in 3wm.

I can also run a "Frankenstein" i3wm with both i3bar and xfce4-panel.  But this is messy and I would get a double systray: one on the i3bar and the other on the xfce4-panel.

#2 2021-01-28 23:09:51

qinohe

Re: Use only XFCE panel in i3wm, show shutdown/restart/logout.. dialog?

leminhman0312 wrote:

Everything works as expected.  But, I could not figure out how to get my current exit/restart/logout dialog to appear.

You can create a launcher for the xfce panel and add a command to it, use something like:

i3-msg exec sh bin/power-menu

(see)man i3-msg

Board footer