You are not logged in.

#1 2019-01-23 19:48:33

EvilUnicorn

[SOLVED]Programs no longer starting in KDE

After running Arch for a couple of months without any problems I now have weird thing happening. As soon as I login to KDE I can open any program (firefox, konsole) as long as I'm quick enough. If I wait a little to long, nothing will start anymore. If I try to start another chrome session or konsole for example I get this in the konsole (the one I started right after login in):

[edeg@archlinux ~]$ konsole
No protocol specified
qt.qpa.xcb: could not connect to display :0
qt.qpa.plugin: Could not load the Qt platform plugin "xcb" in "" even though it was found.
This application failed to start because no Qt platform plugin could be initialized. Reinstalling the application may fix this problem.

Available platform plugins are: wayland-org.kde.kwin.qpa, eglfs, linuxfb, minimal, minimalegl, offscreen, vnc, wayland-egl, wayland, wayland-xcomposite-egl, wayland-xcomposite-glx, xcb.

Aborted (core dumped)

and for exemple chrome:

[edeg@archlinux ~]$ google-chrome-stable
No protocol specified

(google-chrome:4239): Gtk-WARNING **: 20:43:22.577: cannot open display: :0

or even dolphin:
[edeg@archlinux ~]$ dolphin
No protocol specified
qt.qpa.xcb: could not connect to display :0
qt.qpa.plugin: Could not load the Qt platform plugin "xcb" in "" even though it was found.
This application failed to start because no Qt platform plugin could be initialized. Reinstalling the application may fix this problem.

Available platform plugins are: wayland-org.kde.kwin.qpa, eglfs, linuxfb, minimal, minimalegl, offscreen, vnc, wayland-egl, wayland, wayland-xcomposite-egl, wayland-xcomposite-glx, xcb.

Aborted (core dumped)

So (I'm typing this in a chrome browser in Arch) all programs work fine, but not after one minute or so. The time it takes for everything to stop starting seems to correlate with the time it takes for my wifi to connect. But this seems so far fetched. System is updated to latest, and if I remember correctly this started after some KDE updates a week ago. What would be the logs I need to start investigating or is this a known issue atm? I'm not using Wayland btw. Any help is highly appreciated. I miss my rock solid system.

Regards

Last edited by EvilUnicorn (2019-01-23 20:16:34)

#2 2019-01-23 19:51:11

EvilUnicorn

Re: [SOLVED]Programs no longer starting in KDE

Well, always try I guess....Just plugging in wired network makes everything work instant again! So it is definitely related to the wifi!

#3 2019-01-23 19:56:12

loqs

What is the output of

hostnamectl --static

#4 2019-01-23 19:58:48

EvilUnicorn

actually...nothing at all (connected to wired now with everything working). In KDE networks both wired and wireless are stated as connected. The tray icon has changed to wired though.

Last edited by EvilUnicorn (2019-01-23 20:02:16)

#5 2019-01-23 20:01:09

loqs

Installation_guide#Network_configuration set the hostname then restart X.

#6 2019-01-23 20:12:40

EvilUnicorn

Wow, brilliant! Typing this from a happily started browser on wifi! Not sure why those files didn't exist, but I must have been doing something strange (more like stupid probably). Anyways, thank you for helping me out this quick!

#7 2021-02-01 18:08:19

pezmarino

Thaks

#8 2021-02-01 23:37:28

2ManyDogs
Forum Moderator

Closing this old solved thread.

How to post. A sincere effort to use modest and proper language and grammar is a sign of respect toward the community.

Board footer