You are not logged in.

#1 2020-04-02 04:47:30

zonsopkomst

[SOLVED] Thinkorswim & Java Configuration Works Once

Greetings,

Was trying to get Thinkorswim working today on my Archlinux x86_64 system using Gnome DE.  Kernel is 5.5.13-arch2-1.

Followed directions according to TD Ameritrade Zulu Openjdk and Thinkorswim software instructions.  Obviously looked for the AUR package equivalent.

First installed zulu-8-bin from AUR.  This shows being part of Azul which was what the TD Ameritrade tech services rep suggested via a phone call.

java -version
openjdk version "1.8.0_242"
OpenJDK Runtime Environment (Zulu 8.44.0.9-CA-linux64) (build 1.8.0_242-b20)
OpenJDK 64-Bit Server VM (Zulu 8.44.0.9-CA-linux64) (build 25.242-b20, mixed mode)

Then installed Thinkorswim.  Installed to my /home folder, because I know it is an odd package and /opt and /usr/bin are updated using yay, so I chose to keep it separate for maintenance.  I don't think this makes any difference however.

Did a pacman -Syu.

Worked flawlessly.  Was able to use all features, until I exited Thinkorswim.  After exiting, I cd to the correct folder and ran ./thinkorswim.  It executes like before, and it looks to be running in htop, however the window is transparent when using the 'window' key in Gnome.  If I uninstall zulu-8-bin (using yay -Rns) and uninstall Thinkorswim (with their uninstaller), then reinstall both, it works again one time until I exit and try executing the platform again.

I looked through all files to see if there was a setting that could be modified, and am probably looking straight at a solution, but I'm not seeing it. 

I also installed various different 'version 8' JDK packages (all worked) after uninstalling and set them using 'archlinux-java set <package-name>' command, but had the same issue of Thinkorswim running one time and then not running correctly again.

Looked through .cache and .configs, as well as the Thinkorswim folder for configuration files that could be deleted in the hopes that a setting was overriding the default.  No luck.

Any help would be appreciated.

Last edited by zonsopkomst (2020-04-12 19:01:47)

Zonsopkomst

#2 2020-04-02 13:00:05

Lone_Wolf

Re: [SOLVED] Thinkorswim & Java Configuration Works Once

Thinkorswim used to have  wiki page, but was moved to a user page recently .

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Us … hinkorswim

Disliking systemd intensely, but not satisfied with alternatives so focusing on taming systemd.

(A works at time B)  && (time C > time B ) ≠  (A works at time C)

#3 2020-04-02 15:40:00

zonsopkomst

Hi Lone_Wolf- thanks for the response and link.

My setup is exactly the same as your link except I'm currently using zulu-8-bin instead of jre8-openjdk.  I did use jre8-openjdk originally, and still had the same issue.  I can move back to jre8-openjdk at anytime if it would be useful.

Both JDK packages work originally with the Thinkorswim application, then after exiting and logging back on, I have no window available until I switch to the overview/application view in Gnome.  Then I see a transparent window.  All other applications function normally.

If I remove both the JDK package and Thinkorswim and reinstall them, it works again, but only for the initial run.  There has to be something modifying a parameter after the initial run, I just have been unable to determine what is doing it.  On close, the Thinkorswim application does say it is saving settings.  I thought maybe Gnome need gnome-java or another package as maybe it was a display issue, but it doesn't explain why it works initially.

Zonsopkomst

#4 2020-04-03 10:38:54

Lone_Wolf

Do you do start both first and 2nd time with a .desktop file as described on the wiki page ?

Disliking systemd intensely, but not satisfied with alternatives so focusing on taming systemd.

#5 2020-04-03 16:45:09

zonsopkomst

Yes, I have a thinkorswim.desktop file created with the parameters per the instructions.

I also attempted to use the terminal as an alternative method, running the executable from the thinkorswim folder:

cd /home/$USER/thinkorswim
./thinkorswim

Both bring up the log-in screen, which after successfully logging in bring up the blank transparent window.

Zonsopkomst

#6 2020-04-09 17:29:30

zonsopkomst

I think this may be a java 'reparenting issue,' but I don't quite understand it. 

I'm back to java-8-openjdk (again zulu and opendjk both work find, just trying to cover all bases):

archlinux-java status
Available Java environments:
  java-8-openjdk/jre (default)

I appended the line export _JAVA_AWT_WM_NONREPARENTING=1 in /etc/profile.d/jre.sh according to the  'reparenting issue' wiki.

Then the article goes on to modify .xinitrc file, but I am not using xinit.  I use GDM to manage Gnome. 

Upon launch of the .desktop file, the log-in window and exit windows, both smaller than the main window, both appear and work fine.  The main window remains transparent however.  There has to be something simple that is blocking the window from displaying correctly after the initial run.

I've searched the forum, wiki, and web for terms gdm, gnome, java, reparenting to try to find some info but haven't had any luck finding anyone documenting a similar issue.

Zonsopkomst

#7 2020-04-09 17:45:48

Lone_Wolf

for java 8 changing .xinitrc shouldn't be necessary.

In case you do want to put such commands somewhere for GDM (or other display managers) check https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Di … tostarting

#8 2020-04-09 18:14:40

zonsopkomst

Thanks for the response Lone_Wolf.  I will look into the GDM command options from your link.

Still hoping someone who has experience with transparent windows using java with Arch and Gnome will reply about this issue.  It's so strange that it works for one instance and then something is modifying the window so that it does not display.  At least that is how I am understanding it in my mind.

Zonsopkomst

#9 2020-04-11 04:19:12

nasdack

Hello, I'm the author of the original wiki post. Have you tried running GNOME in xorg instead of Wayland? I tend to find Wayland as a unpredictable source of my graphical issues when dealing with niche software like thinkorswim.

#10 2020-04-12 18:56:53

zonsopkomst

Hi nasdack,

It appears Wayland was blocking the screen from running.  After choosing to boot Gnome with xorg instead, I was able to log in and log out of thinkorswim twice while running xorg.  Restarted my PC and thinkorswim came up a third time for me.  I would never have thought of using xorg instead.

Thank you for your help.  I'm going to send a link to this conversation to the Thinkorswim tech support as they requested to see what the solution is.  Maybe they can do something on their end to fix the Wayland issue.

Happy Easter!
Eric

Zonsopkomst

#11 2020-04-13 06:11:01

nasdack

I’m glad to have helped. Thank you for letting us know this worked.

#12 2020-04-14 23:51:45

ratcheer

@zonsopkomst, do some of the replies in this thread indicate that thinkorswim can be installed successfully with jre8-openjdk instead of zulu8? Because I gave up on trying thinkorswim when I saw their requirement for using zulu. I like to keep my system as close to "standard" as I can.

#13 2020-04-15 00:10:57

nasdack

I can confirm that thinkorswim works fine with jre8-openjdk. Please let us know if you encounter trouble.

#14 2020-04-15 12:43:24

ratcheer

Thank you, @nasdack

#15 2020-07-12 17:19:23

skinney6

This seems to be working for me which is fantastic. I didn't have to anything other than install ` java-8-openjdk`.

$ uname -r                                                                              
5.7.7-arch1-1
$ archlinux-java status                                                              
Available Java environments:
  java-11-openjdk
  java-8-openjdk/jre (default)

Then download and run their `thinkorswim_installer.sh` script.
Current TOS version `1964.1.2`
Very happy.

#16 2021-01-30 03:30:27

gururise

Hate to bump an old thread, but couldn't find the answer anywhere else.
So is there no way to run ThinkOrSwim in Wayland?  It works fine for me in Xorg, but I really want to run it in Wayland because thats what I use for everything else.  Is it just Think or Swim, or do other JAVA apps have issues?

#17 2021-01-30 04:00:08

nasdack

@gururise Not that I know of personally, but then again I haven't tried very hard to make it work, and I only recently switched to an AMD GPU.

Have you tried running it in Wayland? What kind of logging information are you able to glean, if at all?

> Is it just Think or Swim, or do other JAVA apps have issues?

It looks like other Java apps have trouble using Wayland. Take this recent bug report from a GNOME user on Wayland trying to use Ghidra.

https://github.com/NationalSecurityAgen … ssues/1185

#18 2021-01-30 19:46:27

gururise

nasdack wrote:

Have you tried running it in Wayland? What kind of logging information are you able to glean, if at all?

Yes, on Wayland, the login window appears, but after you log in, the main window is invisible.  The Java app runs, but there is nothing visible and no feedback on the command line. 
As far as I can tell, the app is running, I can see it in the task list and window list, but its just invisible and you cant interact with the main application.

As mentioned, works fine on X11.

It's literally the only app I need to run on a daily basis. Will check out the other java bug report.

Last edited by gururise (2021-01-30 19:47:02)

#19 2021-02-01 18:38:18

gururise

Wanted to update for those of you trying to run ToS on Wayland.  I've tried everything, including running different JDK's (Oracle, IBM, OpenJDK) and tried the suggestions in the Arch Java Wiki:

export _JAVA_AWT_WM_NONREPARENTING=1 to .bashrc
add wname compiz to ~/.xinitrc

None of the above suggestions worked under Wayland. The main window that appears after login is always invisible, making the app unusable.

Finally, someone on the ToS forums said they got it to work by deleting the workspace.*.xml files in the ToS directory each time before starting the application.  Well, this worked. If you delete those files before starting the app every time on Wayland, it will run one time. The downside to this approach is it will delete your saved workspaces, and revert you back to the default layout/workspace on ToS. This is not the ideal workaround, but at least you can now run the ToS app under wayland.

Last edited by gururise (2021-02-01 18:39:49)

#20 2021-03-18 21:37:04

JohnSnyder

I installed the ThinkorSwim program in its entirety inside of my home directory (I created the folder .thinkorswim)

I have gotten ThinkorSwim to work using both the Zulu version (zulu8.52.0.23-ca-jdk8.0.282-linux_x64) and the latest Oracle version (jre8_u281).  I expanded the compressed files into their own separate directories inside of my parent ThinkorSwim directory, and then wrote the following scripts inside of the parent ThinkorSwim directory:

export PATH="/home/john/.thinkorswim/zulu8.52.0.23-ca-jdk8.0.282-linux_x64/jre/bin/:$PATH"
exec /home/john/.thinkorswim/thinkorswim "$@"

export PATH="/home/john/.thinkorswim/jre8_u281/jre1.8.0_281/bin/:$PATH"
exec /home/john/.thinkorswim/thinkorswim "$@"

I have had both versions running simultaneously.  I am not using Wayland.

#21 2021-04-21 02:27:55

DePingus

Just wanted to add my findings. Pretty much confirms what's already been said:

* The ToS installer and program both work with openjdk 1.8.0-282 in place of zulu8.

* In Wayland I can only open the program one time.

* Deleting the ~/thinkorswim/workspace.*.xml file before every start lets me open ToS (but I lose saved workspaces).

* There are some windowing glitches in Gnome. When I maximize the main ToS window it overlaps the Gnome status bar and I can't shrink ToS again.

* Detached widgets in their own windows work normally and have their own Gnome window dressing (the main ToS window does not, it has its own maximize/close buttons).

* I'm using multiple monitors.

* The workspace.*.xml file contains settings for minesweeper and tetris?

#22 2022-10-30 21:59:17

adamruss

This is still an issue with free drivers and xwayland. Non issue when you install the nvidia drivers.

Board footer