You are not logged in.

#1 2021-02-02 13:23:26

schard
Website

[ABANDONED] Reverse engineering lid switch for tablet mode detection

I have an HP Envy x360 13-ag0xxx convertible laptop, which has recently gained support for screen rotation due to my refactored version of the AMD Sensor Fusion Hub driver.
However, the tablet still fails to detect, whether the screen is folded back to tent mode or tablet mode.
I wrote a manual script for this, which has even been incorporated in the Wiki (not by me) and is available in the AUR.

While manually switching to tablet mode worked for me so far, I'd like to implement auto detection for this device.
I already checked all event driven devices recognized by libinput, but none of them react to the lid opening to tent or tablet mode.
Since it's working on Windows, I believe, that there is something missing on the driver level.
I already had a look at the hp_wmi subsystem, but could not find any new event handlers when tinkereing with it.

Hence, I request some hints on what I could investigate further to reverse engineer and detect the input device signalling the tent and tablet modes.

Solution
It looks like the switch on my particular system may be defective.
It does not show up in the ACPI tables.

Last edited by schard (2021-06-23 08:28:08)

#2 2022-03-12 09:56:56

ammen99

Re: [ABANDONED] Reverse engineering lid switch for tablet mode detection

I know this has been marked as abandoned, @schard, how did you determine that the sensor is not showing up in the ACPI table? I have a similar laptop (hp envy x360 ay-xxxx), tablet mode detection works in Windows via the AMD Sensor Fusion Hub driver. Maybe the hinge angle sensor is not in the ACPI tables, but somewhere else for our laptops?

Board footer