You are not logged in.

#1 2021-02-07 06:50:34

Benjimanrich

wifi stopped working properly of a sudden after changing motherboard

So recently my PCs motherboard stopped working so we got it repaired with the same wifi card. Now my wifi is very slow and sometimes won't even load sites. I checked my wifi and mobile hotspot. Same issue
From a wiki page I saw that you can run

lspci -k

and

sudo dmesg | grep firmware

lspci told me that the drivers were loaded but dmesg gave me these issues which were

[1595.638166] purge skb(s) not reported by firmware
[1598.436848] rtw_8821ce 0000:02:00.0: firmware failed to restore hardware

this continues with a different set of numbers in the brackets and this is where I am stuck. I did see these errors being mentioned in the linux mailing list but is there a workaround for the time being.
Any help would be great.
Thanks

EDIT: So while my PC is trying to use wifi it slows down the entire network but it itself runs slower. Weird behaviour that I just noted

Last edited by Benjimanrich (2021-02-07 07:08:18)

#2 2021-02-07 07:39:28

seth

Re: wifi stopped working properly of a sudden after changing motherboard

The numbers in the brackets are timestamps.

I did see these errors being mentioned in the linux mailing list but is there a workaround for the time being.

Where and if there's a workaround, have you tried it?

while my PC is trying to use wifi it slows down the entire network but it itself runs slower

Google translate? What does this mean?

Please post a complete system journal ("sudo journalctl -b") and check the otput of "rfkill".
Also try the LTS kernel.

Last edited by seth (2021-02-07 07:39:55)

#3 2021-02-07 08:30:06

Benjimanrich

Re: wifi stopped working properly of a sudden after changing motherboard

seth wrote:

The numbers in the brackets are timestamps.

I did see these errors being mentioned in the linux mailing list but is there a workaround for the time being.

Where and if there's a workaround, have you tried it?

while my PC is trying to use wifi it slows down the entire network but it itself runs slower

Google translate? What does this mean?

Please post a complete system journal ("sudo journalctl -b") and check the otput of "rfkill".

Also try the LTS kernel.

Well the edited part was a mistake on my part. It actually should have been whenever I try to use the wifi on arch it slows down my network

and the lts kernel doesn't support my wifi card since support for my card was added in 5.9

abot the bug in the linux mailing list it was from early January so I thought it would be fixed in a newer kernel but nope someone else had the same issue after a week and there was no workaround specified so I'm asking here. I may try ethernet to upgrade my system

I'll check my system journal later as I don't have access to my machine atm

rfkill said no wireless devices were blocked

https://lkml.org/lkml/2020/1/8/222 this is the bug in the mailing list

Last edited by Benjimanrich (2021-02-07 08:33:01)

Board footer