You are not logged in.

#1 2003-02-04 21:47:11

Arielext
Website

how to set up dvd

How do you set up your dvd so it works in mplayer/xine?

apt-get install arch

#2 2003-02-04 23:17:44

BluPhoenyx

Re: how to set up dvd

Well, this is something I haven't tried yet although it's on my list of things to do. I hope to have my laptop back soon to tinker on that stuff.

IIRC, from earlier distros the dvd must be setup with scsi emulation. This means the devfs scsi stuff may come into consideration also. I know this isn't much info yet but I hope to have more later.

BluPhoenyx

#3 2003-02-04 23:19:42

sarah31
Website

well for xine it is pretty easy:

first pacman -S libdvdread libdvdcss libdvdnav xine-dvdnav

then open up xine and go into the input part of the settings and make sure your default dvd device is:

/dev/cdroms/cdromx   (where x corresponds to your drive number)

then hit enter to save the settings.

to play a encrypted dvd just press the nav button with a dvd in the drive then hit play when you get the "dvdnav://" readout appearing on your controller. It may take a few sectonds to start up but it will.

as for mplayer i think it is a matter of installing libdvdcss and libdvdread then i would assume that you look in the confile to make sure that the path to your dvd device is correct (remember you do NOT need some silly fake /devdvd with a symink to your cdrom/dvd drive that is just stupidity IMHO). if it does not work then you may have to recompile/rebuild mplayer with dvd support.

AKA uknowme

I am not your friend

#4 2003-02-05 08:16:20

Arielext
Website

and so I did
Just watched a dvd and it worked! yeah! Now to get DD/DTS working. I use an external DD/DTS decoder so all mplayer needs to do is to send the raw ac3 stream to my soundcard (configured with ALSA and uses sp/dif).

Oh yeah and is it possible to send ac3 streams from xmms to the soundcard as well?

I'm asking all this because of a harddisc crash, the best (and only good thing) about it is that I refused to install that windowthingy again. Ok, well I'm going to download a whole bunch of mp3's now smile
p.s. It sucks loosing 30GB mp3/vorbis

apt-get install arch

#5 2003-02-06 00:39:49

sarah31
Website

you may need a52dec library for that but i think one of the things i told you to install would have instlled that.

AKA uknowme

I am not your friend

#6 2003-02-06 09:02:23

Arielext
Website

Yeah, I have it wroking now smile
I used arts as output device and arts doesn't support AC3 (as far as I know)
I switched output to OSS and the DD sign blinked up instantly smile (but still I'm trying to get it to work with ALSA tongue)

apt-get install arch

Board footer