You are not logged in.

#1 2021-02-13 09:07:24

eronis55

Brave Rewards does not show any ads

The reason I use Brave is Rewards program. However, Rewards in Brave-bin package (AUR) doesn't work. It doesn't show any ads. It works fine on Ubuntu, Fedora and Windows 10. There is something wrong wtih Brave-bin package in AUR. I would really appreciate it if you told me how I could get Rewards working. From what I understand, the maintainer of brave-bin does not know much about packaging. I would like to know how can I get Rewards notifications working. Libnotify package is already installed. Any ideas?

#2 2021-02-13 12:18:32

Stefan Husmann

Re: Brave Rewards does not show any ads

From what I understand, the maintainer of brave-bin does not know much about packaging.

You should not make such claims without thinking. What make you think so?

From what I read in the the AUR comments the maintainer does know a lot about packaging, probably more than you.

"Does not work" isn't a description of an error. I do not know anything about what Rewards is, does or should do. Explain what you do, what you expect to happen and what actually happens, including error messages.

#3 2021-02-13 15:04:29

eronis55

Brave Rewards sends system messages. That's how advertisement work in Brave. GNOME notifications works fine. (I've tested notify-send)
What is expected?: Brave Rewards should send notifications which are actually ads.
What happens?: It does not send any notifications. As a result, Brave Rewards doesn't give me advertisement. Advertisement  means BAT and BAT can be turned into $s.

https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/brave-bin/

I've asked the developer about the problem as other users of his package was having the same issue. His respond was like "I don't care about Rewards. You are on your own."

Somehow, Brave package from Manjaro repositories work fine. Brave-bin package from AUR does not. I don't know what is wrong with AUR version, but it is the only place the problem exist.

#4 2021-02-13 22:11:27

Stefan Husmann

Your description still is not detailed enough to reproduce the problem. What web pages to you surf to that should trigger messages?

Also you are mixing up things.

Who is "the developer"? Upstream? If so, it is not "his package" that is in the AUR. Also, there is not brave package in the Manjaro repos. It has been removed in december. Most probably what you use on Manjaro is either outdated or exactly the AUR package. BTW, we do not support Manjaro here.

If you really think the AUR package is the culprit, the AUR comment page for brave bin would the appropiate place to post the issue there.

#5 2021-02-13 23:40:33

digitalone

#6 2021-02-14 02:09:05

eronis55

Stefan Husmann wrote:

Your description still is not detailed enough to reproduce the problem. What web pages to you surf to that should trigger messages?

Also you are mixing up things.

Who is "the developer"? Upstream? If so, it is not "his package" that is in the AUR. Also, there is not brave package in the Manjaro repos. It has been removed in december. Most probably what you use on Manjaro is either outdated or exactly the AUR package. BTW, we do not support Manjaro here.

If you really think the AUR package is the culprit, the AUR comment page for brave bin would the appropiate place to post the issue there.

It's not me not being able to express my problem. You completely misread it. Let me rephrase this: Brave Rewards is not an adblocking software. It doesn't work on a "website". It works in browser. It works as long as a Brave tab is opened. It sends notifications into your notification centre. The problem of not seeing any ads is %100 reproducable. Why not seeing ads is a problem? It's because we are paid to view ads.

Clearly you haven't even looked at AUR page.

AUR link: https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/brave-bin/

What is Brave Rewards?: https://brave.com/brave-rewards/
(Shortly, it is a program that pays you money for using Brave)

Developer is Brave Software, co-founders of Mozilla. I asked them as well. I posted on their forum as well. It is an AUR package problem.

There is Brave and Brave-beta packages in Manjaro repositories. Those packages certainly are not exact copies of AUR package either. They also are not older versions. The version in Manjaro repos certainly undergone some polishing.

The problem does not occur in Manjaro, so there is no need for you to support Manjaro for this problem. Thank anyway.

I've commented on AUR, but mixedCase said that he doesn't care about the Brave Rewards program. If you Google the problem, you will see a lot of people are complaining about the same issue. It seems to be a problem specific to AUR. Even Brave developers are not able to figure out what is going on here.

I'm not even sure you are here to help me or bite me anymore...

Last edited by eronis55 (2021-02-14 02:12:31)

#7 2021-02-14 10:26:55

Stefan Husmann

I was trying to help, but obviously I am not able to do so. The issue is upstream. Enter the bugreport digitalone posted and reopen it (it has been closed four days ago). What you can also try is to use another desktop environment like plasma or xfce to see if it is an issue that only appears in gnome or if it is an issue in brave.

#8 2021-02-14 10:31:32

Stefan Husmann

I was trying to help, but obviously I am not able to do so. The issue is upstream. Enter the bugreport digitalone posted and reopen it (it has been closed four days ago). What you can also try is to use another desktop environment like plasma or xfce to see if it is an issue that only appears in gnome or if it is an issue in brave.

I did have a look https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/brave-bin/, but I do not see any post related to Rewards there.

Edit: okay, on the third page there is a remark but it is old (novembre).

I think the problem is gnome related. I now got my first 0.020 BAT.

Last edited by Stefan Husmann (2021-02-14 11:31:51)

#9 2021-02-14 12:16:40

digitalone

I don't know if the problem is Arch or Gnome related.

Anyway the real problem is Brave. If you release a software you should test it on different operating systems and desktop environments. If they didn't test it in Gnome or on Arch, not letting their ad notification system to work, it's their issue.

They don't even want to test on Arch or Gnome. They don't care. Probably don't do much money on Linux, it's enough for them if it works on Windows and other Linux distros. Just don't use it.

#10 2021-02-22 23:25:42

eronis55

digitalone wrote:

Anyway the real problem is Brave. If you release a software you should test it on different operating systems and desktop environments. If they didn't test it in Gnome or on Arch, not letting their ad notification system to work, it's their issue.

They don't even want to test on Arch or Gnome. They don't care. Probably don't do much money on Linux, it's enough for them if it works on Windows and other Linux distros. Just don't use it.

Problem is not Brave either. It’s Brave Rewards. I could still use Brave w/o Rewards, but I guess I will switch back to Chrome. I need some change of pace.

#11 2021-03-01 16:53:54

dthano

digitalone wrote:

I had the same issue with Gnome under wayland. When I switched to xorg Brave shows adds.
The problem seems to be wayland.

#12 2021-03-02 07:59:39

digitalone

dthano wrote:

I had the same issue with Gnome under wayland. When I switched to xorg Brave shows adds.
The problem seems to be wayland.

The issue is not Wayland, but lack of Wayland support by Brave. And Chromium also, since Brave is based on it.

Board footer