You are not logged in.

#1 2021-02-12 11:04:28

aflyingpumpkin

[SOLVED] unicode not displaying on ncmpcpp

I recently set up ncmpcpp but upon doing so I noticed that all title containing japanese text or any other form of unicode were not displaying correctly.  The characters either don't display or as a blank, ~ symbol, then a Capital Letter or @ symbol.  I have tried on both simple terminal and alacrity.  With no change.  Unicode also displays correctly outside of ncmcpp on my terminal emulator.  I am using DWM.
Examples images:
image.png
image.png

Last edited by aflyingpumpkin (2021-02-17 12:36:05)

#2 2021-02-16 10:45:00

sekret

Re: [SOLVED] unicode not displaying on ncmpcpp

What font are you using? My guess: Your font doesn't include those characters. Or do they show up correctly in other terminal applications?

#3 2021-02-16 12:01:49

d_fajardo

ymuse is an mpd client that has japanese support and can be worth a try but I'm not sure if it solves the problem.

#4 2021-02-17 06:27:18

aflyingpumpkin

sekret wrote:

What font are you using? My guess: Your font doesn't include those characters. Or do they show up correctly in other terminal applications?

It appears to be using my terminal font of Source Code Pro Medium.  Which is capable of displaying the characters when I load it with dmenu, and inside of my terminal.

#5 2021-02-17 06:33:32

aflyingpumpkin

d_fajardo wrote:

ymuse is an mpd client that has japanese support and can be worth a try but I'm not sure if it solves the problem.

I am looking for a terminal based application because it fits the rest of my system better.  Also, japanese isnt the only problem, for example I cant use unicode text for my visualizer.  Also, from what I have seen it should be working outside of a thread I saw on stack exchange.

#6 2021-02-17 10:14:09

pbnoxious

I am not sure what causes this error, but on a machine I just installed I can confirm the problem: The unicode characters are displayed incorrectly in ncmpcpp, and in ncmpcpp only
I'm using Termite as terminal emulator and InconsolataGo Nerd Fonts and viewing the files with `ls` or parsing the tags with `exiftool ` displays them correctly. In ncmpcpp they are missing (even pretty standart ones as German umlauts) or displayed wrongly.

Edit: after posting I realized that my locale was wrong. Setting LANG correctly fixed the issue. Maybe that helps you.

Last edited by pbnoxious (2021-02-17 10:33:59)

#7 2021-02-17 12:35:31

aflyingpumpkin

pbnoxious wrote:

I am not sure what causes this error, but on a machine I just installed I can confirm the problem: The unicode characters are displayed incorrectly in ncmpcpp, and in ncmpcpp only
I'm using Termite as terminal emulator and InconsolataGo Nerd Fonts and viewing the files with `ls` or parsing the tags with `exiftool ` displays them correctly. In ncmpcpp they are missing (even pretty standart ones as German umlauts) or displayed wrongly.

Edit: after posting I realized that my locale was wrong. Setting LANG correctly fixed the issue. Maybe that helps you.

Thanks! Setting my local variable properly solved the problem.

Board footer