You are not logged in.

#1 2021-02-17 09:17:14

Superkasper

[SOLVED] Another hard freeze in Arch Linux

Since a couple of weeks (beginning of the year maybe even last year still) my Arch Linux randomly freezes roughly every second day. My research shows that I am not the only one experiencing such freezes but the solutions appear to be very individual, which is why my last resort is opening a new thread. The freeze seems to be affect the whole system: it is e.g. not possible to ping my machine when it is frozen.

I am fairly inexperienced with Arch. Here are some details of my system.

Model Thinkpad T14
CPU Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-10510U CPU @ 1.80GHz
CPU flags  fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm pbe syscall nx pdpe1gb rdtscp lm constant_tsc art arch_perfmon pebs bts rep_good nopl xtopology nonstop_tsc cpuid aperfmperf pni pclmulqdq dtes64 monitor ds_cpl vmx est tm2 ssse3 sdbg fma cx16 xtpr pdcm pcid sse4_1 sse4_2 x2apic movbe popcnt tsc_deadline_timer aes xsave avx f16c rdrand lahf_lm abm 3dnowprefetch cpuid_fault epb invpcid_single ssbd ibrs ibpb stibp ibrs_enhanced tpr_shadow vnmi flexpriority ept vpid ept_ad fsgsbase tsc_adjust bmi1 avx2 smep bmi2 erms invpcid mpx rdseed adx smap clflushopt intel_pt xsaveopt xsavec xgetbv1 xsaves dtherm arat pln pts hwp hwp_notify hwp_act_window hwp_epp md_clear flush_l1d arch_capabilities
CPU bugs spectre_v1 spectre_v2 spec_store_bypass swapgs itlb_multihit srbds
Linux kernel 5.4.98-1-lts (I tried overcoming the freezes using the lts Kernel but no avail)
Xorg Server X.Org X Server 1.20.10
X Protocol Version 11, Revision 0

I am using the i3 window manager with picom in case it is relevant.

I realize the first thing to check is journalctl, however I have not found anything that would hint at the freeze. The last freeze must have happened this night. I left my laptop on and when I came back this morning, it was frozen. I post the last couple of hours before I hard rebooted my computer anyway: https://pastebin.com/Fcrfrpsi

I should mention that I am running a LVM on LUKS setup as described in this tutorial https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Dm … VM_on_LUKS

Any help is appreciated!

Last edited by Superkasper (2021-03-17 13:21:23)

#2 2021-02-17 09:20:18

V1del
Forum Moderator

Re: [SOLVED] Another hard freeze in Arch Linux

No trace in the kernel log and random freeze ups I almost always associate with xf86-video-intel especially on a modern GPU like this. So if you have that installed remove it and retry

Last edited by V1del (2021-02-17 09:20:31)

#3 2021-02-17 09:30:45

Superkasper

Done. There is ofc no immediate way to test this. I will report with the next freeze or within a week if no freeze happened. Thanks!

#4 2021-02-22 09:41:12

Superkasper

Unfortunately the freezes are still there. I encountered ~ 4 of them in the meantime. In the meantime I also uninstalled the nvidia and nvidia-lts packages but this was too recent to be able to tell if it did any good. Still nothing in journalctl. I have noticed that the music I was running was still looping over the last ~ 2 seconds while the computer was frozen.

Last edited by Superkasper (2021-02-22 13:14:51)

#5 2021-03-17 13:20:36

Superkasper

I found the culprit for the freezes: it was my Polybar. I do not understand why since I did not capture the any logs. Updating Polybar fixed the Problem. I will mark this as solved... I would still be interesting to know why Polybar can freeze the whole system.

#6 2021-03-19 21:20:56

W54J04S07T

V1del wrote:

No trace in the kernel log and random freeze ups I almost always associate with xf86-video-intel especially on a modern GPU like this. So if you have that installed remove it and retry

I've seen this comment before, and it raises the question
"with what"?  You don't mention which driver to use
in place of the device specific one.

Are you suggesting the vesa driver?

#7 2021-03-19 21:56:05

Zom

W54J04S07T wrote:
V1del wrote:

I've seen this comment before, and it raises the question
"with what"?  You don't mention which driver to use
in place of the device specific one.

Are you suggesting the vesa driver?

modesetting is built into xorg and is commonly used now for intel cards.

See the note under installation in the wiki

Last edited by Zom (2021-03-19 21:57:45)

Board footer