You are not logged in.

#1 2021-02-18 23:02:13

melodian

[SOLVED] Keyboard not working after boot on mid-2014 MacBook Air

I run Arch on a mid-2014 model MacBook Air (with barebones MacOS for maintenance/fallback) using systemd-boot. I recently performed a full system upgrade with

pacman -Syyuu

(I did it this way in order to solve an issue with Firefox and glib). After the next reboot, my keyboard no longer works at the login shell. I can select boot OS with the keyboard in the boot loader just fine, but when it hits the login prompt, typing no longer does anything.
Note that I still have my bootable USB, so I can modify configs and such from that.

Last edited by melodian (2021-02-24 20:28:43)

#2 2021-02-19 00:00:29

salquestfl

Re: [SOLVED] Keyboard not working after boot on mid-2014 MacBook Air

Are you using display manager for the login, or console login? If it is the former, switch to a virtual console, and disable your display manager. And look for Xorg errors.

#3 2021-02-19 00:06:57

melodian

I'm using console login.

#4 2021-02-20 20:46:45

melodian

Update: I backed up my system, wiped it, and did a fresh install from a new ISO. The original problem persists, I.e. I cannot type anything. I have tested a USB keyboard with the same result. However, if I boot from my backup (i.e. boot with my backup of my system folder set as my root folder), the keyboard works fine.

Last edited by melodian (2021-02-20 23:24:07)

#5 2021-02-24 20:30:37

melodian

I appear to have solved the problem. When I originally performed this install, and when I did the first wipe and reinstall, I had my EFI partition mounted to /mnt/efi rather than /mnt/boot. I just did another wipe and reinstall after encountering some odd errors trying to reinstall the kernel. While booted to the ISO, I removed everything from the EFI partition besides /EFI/BOOT/BOOTX64.efi and /EFI/APPLE, then after ensuring that only the root partition was mounted, cleared the system folder with

# rm -rf /mnt/*

I then rebooted back into the ISO, and this time mounted the EFI partition to /mnt/boot before performing a standard install, including reinstalling systemd-boot. When I booted the new install, the keyboard worked fine.

I think what was happening is that when I performed the full system upgrade, the system wanted to upgrade the kernel, so it upgraded the kernel in /boot. Problem was, that wasn't where the kernel I was actually using was located; the real kernel was in the EFI partition. I'll admit I'm not totally sure why that would cause the specific error I encountered, but it sounds pretty good, and my problem is fixed now.

Board footer