You are not logged in.

#1 2021-02-21 09:50:24

oskeng
Member
Registered: 2021-02-21
Posts: 4

Fresh install on new machine: Failed to start journal service

First post here after years of educational reading.

Have previously used Linux for many years and Anarchy Linux for several years now. This is my first Arch install.

Recently built a new machine: Ryzen 5800x; GeForce 1080; MSI x570 UNIFY; 128GB 3600MHz RAM

I have followed the official install guide and configured systemd-boot as bootloader. During the first boot after installation, I get a number of "Failed to start Journal service". I also get "a start job is running for dev/nvme0n1p1" (/boot), as well as for "dev/nvme0n1p1" (/home). I also get "a start job is running for Rule-based Manager for Device Events and Files". After 1.30, boot continues with numerous "Failed to start Journal service" until ending up in recovery mode. See scrennshots below.

Having spent many hours trying to resolve it myself, I would now be very happy to get some advice from the community.

https://i.ibb.co/VMmwG9b/boot1.jpg

https://i.ibb.co/GdfKPsT/boot2.jpg

Mod edit: Replaced oversized images with links -- V1del

Edit: clarified the question

Last edited by oskeng (2021-02-21 13:34:53)

Offline

#2 2021-02-21 11:02:10

Ropid
Member
Registered: 2015-03-09
Posts: 984

Re: Fresh install on new machine: Failed to start journal service

When you play around with memory settings, use "MemTest86" to test things before you boot into your system. I destroyed Linux and Windows installations more than once through unstable settings. If you have an installed Arch, there's a neat package "memtest86-efi" in the AUR that will download and put the MemTest86 binary into your EFI partition. You can then add it to your boot-loader's menu to be able to boot into MemTest86 instead of Arch whenever you want.

You will have to battle with memory settings manually because you use 32GB "dual-rank" memory sticks and because you use all four memory slots. Both the sticks being dual-rank and having all four memory slots populated makes it hard to reach high memory speeds. You can't do it with the board's default settings.

You have to look into the following resistance settings here, see if you can find a memory setting guide for Ryzen 3000 and 5000:

"ProcODT"
"RTT" (RTT_PARK, RTT_WR, RTT_NOM)

After setting those resistances up like recommended for a four memory stick and/or dual-rank stick setup, you can then try again to enable XMP or you can try to overclock things manually. Maybe also look for a guide that's exactly for your MSI boards. Perhaps the manufacturer has a unique setting that helps with a fully populated memory setup, making it so you don't have to manually set RTT and ProcODT.

From what I could find right now, the recommended settings for dual-rank and/or four sticks should be this:

RTT_NOM = off
RTT_WR = RZQ / 3
RTT_PARK = RZQ / 1

or written differently:

RTT_NOM = off
RTT_WR = 80 Ohm
RTT_PARK = 240 Ohm

For ProcODT, I see 48 Ohm to 28 Ohm recommended.

About the term "dual-rank", it means that a memory stick uses 16 memory chips instead of 8 chips "single-rank". It's not to be confused with "dual-channel".

Offline

#3 2021-02-21 11:41:20

WorMzy
Forum Moderator
From: Scotland
Registered: 2010-06-16
Posts: 10,201
Website

Re: Fresh install on new machine: Failed to start journal service

Please note that Anarchy and installs that are a result of using it are not supported here. This was made clear during the registration process.

https://bbs.archlinux.org/misc.php?action=rules

Please do not seek support for any Anarchy installations here -- ask the Anarchy support community.


Sakura:-
Mobo: MSI X299 TOMAHAWK ARCTIC // Processor: Intel Core i7-7820X 3.6GHz // GFX: AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT // RAM: 32GB (4x 8GB) Corsair DDR4 (@ 3000MHz) // Storage: 1x 3TB HDD, 5x 1TB HDD, 2x 120GB SSD, 1x 275GB M2 SSD

Making lemonade from lemons since 2015.

Offline

#4 2021-02-21 11:44:42

oskeng
Member
Registered: 2021-02-21
Posts: 4

Re: Fresh install on new machine: Failed to start journal service

WorMzy wrote:

Please note that Anarchy and installs that are a result of using it are not supported here. This was made clear during the registration process.

https://bbs.archlinux.org/misc.php?action=rules

Please do not seek support for any Anarchy installations here -- ask the Anarchy support community.

My question concerned manual installation of vanilla Arch and had nothing to do with Anarchy. Please read the entire post. The part about Anarchy installation was just to illustrate that there may be DRAM issues.

Offline

#5 2021-02-21 12:07:18

WorMzy
Forum Moderator
From: Scotland
Registered: 2010-06-16
Posts: 10,201
Website

Re: Fresh install on new machine: Failed to start journal service

If I hadn't read the entire post I wold have dustbinned the topic for the above reason. I just wanted to address worrying statements like 'I used the Anarchy installer for convenience', followed by 'this was my first manual install of Arch'. To clarify, this was your first install of Arch.


Sakura:-
Mobo: MSI X299 TOMAHAWK ARCTIC // Processor: Intel Core i7-7820X 3.6GHz // GFX: AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT // RAM: 32GB (4x 8GB) Corsair DDR4 (@ 3000MHz) // Storage: 1x 3TB HDD, 5x 1TB HDD, 2x 120GB SSD, 1x 275GB M2 SSD

Making lemonade from lemons since 2015.

Offline

#6 2021-02-21 13:36:12

oskeng
Member
Registered: 2021-02-21
Posts: 4

Re: Fresh install on new machine: Failed to start journal service

WorMzy wrote:

If I hadn't read the entire post I wold have dustbinned the topic for the above reason. I just wanted to address worrying statements like 'I used the Anarchy installer for convenience', followed by 'this was my first manual install of Arch'. To clarify, this was your first install of Arch.

Very well, I have edited the post to clarify the (first) issue and removed the problematic formulations.

Offline

#7 2021-02-21 13:37:50

oskeng
Member
Registered: 2021-02-21
Posts: 4

Re: Fresh install on new machine: Failed to start journal service

Ropid wrote:

When you play around with memory settings, use "MemTest86" to test things before you boot into your system. I destroyed Linux and Windows installations more than once through unstable settings. If you have an installed Arch, there's a neat package "memtest86-efi" in the AUR that will download and put the MemTest86 binary into your EFI partition. You can then add it to your boot-loader's menu to be able to boot into MemTest86 instead of Arch whenever you want.

You will have to battle with memory settings manually because you use 32GB "dual-rank" memory sticks and because you use all four memory slots. Both the sticks being dual-rank and having all four memory slots populated makes it hard to reach high memory speeds. You can't do it with the board's default settings.

You have to look into the following resistance settings here, see if you can find a memory setting guide for Ryzen 3000 and 5000:

"ProcODT"
"RTT" (RTT_PARK, RTT_WR, RTT_NOM)

After setting those resistances up like recommended for a four memory stick and/or dual-rank stick setup, you can then try again to enable XMP or you can try to overclock things manually. Maybe also look for a guide that's exactly for your MSI boards. Perhaps the manufacturer has a unique setting that helps with a fully populated memory setup, making it so you don't have to manually set RTT and ProcODT.

From what I could find right now, the recommended settings for dual-rank and/or four sticks should be this:

RTT_NOM = off
RTT_WR = RZQ / 3
RTT_PARK = RZQ / 1

or written differently:

RTT_NOM = off
RTT_WR = 80 Ohm
RTT_PARK = 240 Ohm

For ProcODT, I see 48 Ohm to 28 Ohm recommended.

About the term "dual-rank", it means that a memory stick uses 16 memory chips instead of 8 chips "single-rank". It's not to be confused with "dual-channel".

Thank you very much. I have edited the question and focus on another issue than memory first, to get the installation right. Will probably get back to the memory issues later.

Offline

Board footer

Powered by FluxBB