You are not logged in.

#1 2021-02-23 18:09:19

phollox

Is it possible that a package dissapear from AUR?

Hello community,

I'm looking to install a python package in a new arch box. I remember I installed it on my previous one (which is now dead) but I can't remember how I did it. But I think it was on the AUR. However, it is currently not there.

I'm trying with pip but I'm getting a bunch of errors

My understanding is that AUR packages can get migrated to the min repos, or become orphaned with lack of update. But no disappear. Is it possible to check if my belief is correct and the package was at some point in the AUR?

The package in question is CoolProp. I use it a lot, so I'm willing to make a package (just need to learn how to do it, or maintain the previous PKGBUILD, if it ever existed)

Thanks

I divide by zero, multiple times per day. Also, I don't believe in tipping
Arch + i3wm (still learning)

#2 2021-02-23 18:33:45

Scimmia
Fellow

Re: Is it possible that a package dissapear from AUR?

See the aur-requests mailing list. Packages get deleted all of the time. Depending how far back it was, there was also a mass purge 5 years ago or so.

#3 2021-02-23 18:47:16

Stefan Husmann

First, do not "pip install" systemwide. This will most certainly cause breakage on th long run.

Second, yes, packages can be deleted from AUR and do so on daily basis. Subsribe to aur-requests mailing list (or use the webinterface) to get an impression abour "delete requests". But if this was not very long ago, there still should be the PKGBUILD available and can be downloaded using git.

In this (coolprop) this seems not to be the case. I think there never was such a PKGBUILD.

#4 2021-02-24 18:04:15

phollox

Thanks, CoolProp is not there. I probably did a pip install back then.
The problem now is that CoolProp is not compatible with Python 3.9, because of a deprecated feature. It works perfectly on Python 3.8. A virtual environment saved the day

Thanks

EDIT: According to developers, the problem is related to Cython, not CoolProp. But in any case, this gave me an excuse to learn Python Virtual Environments. I always installed packages system wide, as my machines are single user, and I always work on the same type of projects, numerical simulations and data analysis, so no code ends up being deployed on a client side. Virtual Environments did not made a lot of sense, until now.

Thanks again

Last edited by phollox (2021-03-01 10:50:43)

I divide by zero, multiple times per day. Also, I don't believe in tipping
Arch + i3wm (still learning)

Board footer