You are not logged in.

#1 2019-09-18 14:50:29

pcattori

[SOLVED] Cannot connect to VPN via networkmanager-openvpn GUI

I have a `client.ovpn` config file. I'm able to connect to my VPN via sudo openvpn --config client.ovpn on the terminal. It correctly asks me for my username/password to connect to the VPN.

I'm trying to do the same via the NetworkManager GUI, specifically via networkmanager-openvpn. However, after I import the `.ovpn` config file via the GUI, trying to connect prompts for a password and a key password (but no username). I don't have a "key password" to provide and only filling out the password results in a timeout when attempting to connect to the VPN.

Last edited by pcattori (2019-09-18 16:57:25)

#2 2019-09-18 14:59:40

pcattori

Re: [SOLVED] Cannot connect to VPN via networkmanager-openvpn GUI

I noticed that when configuring the VPN in the GUI, there is a dropdown below the "Private Key Password" field that can be set to "This password is not required". I've set it to that option. I had also set my username/password in the configuration GUI.

Now when I attempt to connect, it does ask me for just a password (though shouldn't it not need to since I already set my password in the configuration GUI?). But I still get a timeout when attempting to connect even if I supply my password.

#3 2019-09-18 16:57:12

pcattori

Came across this issue on the networkmanager-openvpn repo (https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/NetworkM … /issues/20). I deleted my VPN connection from the GUI, then ran nmcli connection import type openvpn file ~/Downloads/client.ovpn as indicated in the issue. Next, I edited the resulting VPN configuration as follows:

1. Renamed from client to the name I wanted
2. Set "This password is not required" in the dropdown below "Private Key Password"
3. Entered my username and password and set "Store password for all users (not encrypted)"in the dropdown below username/password fields
4. In IPv4 tab, within "Routes", set "Use only for resources on this connection"

Now it works! Connects successfully smile

Last edited by pcattori (2019-09-18 16:58:31)

#4 2021-02-25 17:08:17

mito77

Hi I try with network manager to connect  to my HMA vpn like this : https://support.hidemyass.com/hc/en-us/ … site=false

but That don't work, I have the .ovpn and the key , I enter Login and password, but don't work. I don't know how to do that. Sorry.

$ uname -r
5.13.9-arch1-1

Board footer