You are not logged in.

#1 2021-03-08 01:12:06

Mocco

[SOLVED] System hangs during boot after kernel and mkinitcpio upgrade

I have upgraded to the latest kernel: 5.11.2-arch1-1 and mkinitcpio 30-1 that uses zstd compression by default.

I am on a Thinkpad X1 carbon, my filesystem is encrypted, the laptop has EFI and I use EFISTUB to boot the kernel. These are the kernel parameters:

rd.luks.name=0da53830-bd1c-4306-982b-94e4f191c04e=cryptroot root=/dev/mapper/cryptroot rw initrd=\EFI\Arch\intel-ucode.img initrd=\EFI\Arch\initramfs-linux.img

The system now hangs on the booting screen even though it does look like all services have been initialized successfully. (All rows show a green [OK]). The system just does not start gdm for me to login.

The weird part is that if I boot with the rescue shell and, when prompted to login, I just use CTRL + D to continue, the system boots just fine.

I have tried to enable debug logs during boot and have been looking through dmesg logs but am not able to pinpoint the issue. Everything seems to be working  fine, just the boot process seems a bit slower and then it hangs before showing the login screen.

Here my dmesg

Any idea on how I could debug this further?

Last edited by Mocco (2021-03-08 01:45:09)

#2 2021-03-08 01:14:45

GaKu999

Re: [SOLVED] System hangs during boot after kernel and mkinitcpio upgrade

When it boots, try to get to the tty2...and check the status of that DM service with systemctl to see if it’s hanging or something...

My reposSome snippets

Heisenberg might have been here.

#3 2021-03-08 01:17:42

Slithery
Administrator

Race condition with the graphics driver maybe?
Try setting up early KMS.

No, it didn't "fix" anything. It just shifted the brokeness one space to the right. - jasonwryan
Closing -- for deletion; Banning -- for muppetry. - jasonwryan

aur - dotfiles

#4 2021-03-08 01:43:58

Mocco

Slithery wrote:

Try setting up early KMS

I tried it and it seems to have worked, I can boot "normally" again!

Thank you Slithery! Any idea why this started happening now? I am using the standard Intel drivers for the integrated graphics card and have been running Arch on this laptop for more than a year, never had this problem....

I thought that the fact that this came up right after changing the compression algorithm to zstd was suspicious but I am not sure how the two could be related?

#5 2021-03-08 01:48:31

Slithery
Administrator

It might be that zstd is decompressing the kernel faster, so the graphics card now doesn't have time to finish initialising before it's needed by your DM.

No, it didn't "fix" anything. It just shifted the brokeness one space to the right. - jasonwryan
Closing -- for deletion; Banning -- for muppetry. - jasonwryan

aur - dotfiles

#6 2021-03-08 16:27:40

Mocco

Slithery wrote:

It might be that zstd is decompressing the kernel faster, so the graphics card now doesn't have time to finish initialising before it's needed by your DM.

Good call, thanks again for responding so quickly!

Board footer