You are not logged in.

#1 2021-03-20 11:47:50

Tar3k Hasan

[SOLVED]Dual booting Arch with Kali.

So, I have Arch installed in my system already which is my main os/daily driver. I do know that I can install Blackarch repo in order to use all the tools I need. As it is my main OS I don't wanna do that. I've shifted to arch permanently few days ago. Well I did dual boot kali with windows 10 and other linix distributions like L. Mint, Ubuntu etc. Before shifting to Arch I used it by Dual booting with Windows 10 for 6-7 months. Then I decided to kick out windows. But I did some research and found out that so many peoples had problems dual booting Arch with Kali. Should I dual boot? Is there will be any problem with my Arch installation? It's kind of a noob question hmm pardon me for that.
Thank you.

Last edited by Tar3k Hasan (2021-04-01 20:41:18)

#2 2021-03-20 13:18:56

V1del
Forum Moderator

Re: [SOLVED]Dual booting Arch with Kali.

Why would that be an issue? If you keep the systems actually separate and don't share the partitions there's nothing special or unique or inherently breaking about booting multiple operating systems.

If you want to share the home partition that could lead to issues with different configuration files and different profile versions. If you don't do that then the systems are unrelated to each other.

#3 2021-03-20 15:37:19

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

Tar3k Hasan wrote:

I did some research and found out that so many paoples had problems dual booting Arch with Kali.

It used to be the case that Debian's (and hence Kali's) GRUB version couldn't handle multiple initramfs images in /boot so a non-working menu entry would be generated if the CPU µcode package was installed but the GRUB version in Debian testing (and hence Kali) now has the *-ucode.img files listed under GRUB_EARLY_INITRD_LINUX_STOCK so a working menu entry for Arch should now be generated automatically by Kali.

#4 2021-03-21 19:07:26

Tar3k Hasan

V1del wrote:

Why would that be an issue? If you keep the systems actually separate and don't share the partitions there's nothing special or unique or inherently breaking about booting multiple operating systems.

If you want to share the home partition that could lead to issues with different configuration files and different profile versions. If you don't do that then the systems are unrelated to each other.

Well I did it. It runs fine now. But maybe I did one mistake. I installed kali boot manager in a separate partition which is /dev/sda7 and the partition is /boot. But I don't think I needed that. I mounted my Kali boot partition in /mnt which is /dev/sda7. Then I updated grub. But it found Kali in /dev/sda8 which is kali's root partition. I don't think I needed that /boot partition for kali. I did some research and found that I don't need any bootloader in order to run the second linux system If I do linux dual boot.

Last edited by Tar3k Hasan (2021-03-21 19:11:03)

Board footer