You are not logged in.

#1 2021-03-26 20:31:10

beroal
Website

separating SSH from FFTW

While reviewing what processes my desktop environment (XFCE4) starts, I discovered that it starts `ssh-agent`. Since I don't use SSH, I investigated. The media player `mpv` requires `openssh` via the following chain: `mpv` → `rubberband` → `libfftw3.so` → `openmpi` → `openssh`. An SSH implementation is required for OpenMPI support in FFTW. However, `rubberband` does not use the FFTW `.so` libraries `libfftw3*_mpi.so` that use OpenMPI. As I understand, OpenMPI is needed only when computing on clusters. I guess that the number of people using `mpv` is much higher that those having computational clusters. Can we, please, have FFTW/OpenMPI libraries as a separate package?

we are not condemned to write ugly code

#2 2021-03-26 21:44:39

loqs

Re: separating SSH from FFTW

What if openssh was moved to optdepends instead of splitting the openmpi package.  Would that not achieve the same result?

#3 2021-03-26 23:25:13

beroal
Website

Re: separating SSH from FFTW

loqs wrote:

What if openssh was moved to optdepends instead of splitting the openmpi package.  Would that not achieve the same result?

Probably, you are right. I am not very familiar with the rules. It's all the same to me. People using OpenMPI may have their opinion. Let's hear them.

we are not condemned to write ugly code

Board footer