You are not logged in.

#7051 2021-03-30 12:58:43

schard
Website

Re: The Official Hello Everyone Thread

@Gober, welcome fellow musician (bassist and pianist here).
But: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qq_Z5BAxAOY
SCNR

#7052 2021-04-01 03:20:53

crystaldust

HELLO EVERYONE!

I'm Zhen from China. I first tried Linux(Ubuntu) in 2008, when I was a college student. After being frustrated by Ubuntu several times, I turned into Arch in the year 2016. Really appreciate the greatest (Arch) Linux Wiki! I followed the steps from the installation guide and didn't pay too much effort to make Arch run. Wow, Arch is not that complicated, I thought then. I have to say Arch really opened a new gate and saved a lot of energy for my life! It's really great to have an operating system you can modify by your needing, and see so many great guys working on it to make it rapidly proceeding every day. Hope I could be part of this great project smile

Zhen

#7053 2021-04-02 16:42:20

hitest

Greetings from Northern Canada!  I live in a small fishing community which is south of Alaska.  I did a clean install of Arch yesterday and I *really* like KDE-plasma.  I've run Arch off and on over the years, I like it a lot.
Many thanks for this community and to everyone who makes Arch possible.

hitest
Arch, Slackware
Registered Linux User #284243

#7054 2021-04-02 21:36:07

ChrisOTB

Hi Everyone,

i more of a returnee than a new user. Had a jaunt with Lubuntu! from 2009. but was using Arch before that. Found Lubuntu 20.04 awkward on this hardware so back to Arch. Working very well here and no regrets at returning.

Hardware is a laptop, HP Stream 14" 31GB eMMC drive and 2GB RAM. AMD Mullins APU. Very economical. I live in a boat on the UK inland waters and canal and river system. Most electrical power is from solar panels and so getting economical in power use is good. I cannot just plugin! Text login to Fluxbox with a few LXDE utils. Works well and very quick. Zoom installed to talk to my kids (and grandkids lol)

Best Wishes Chris OTB (On The Boat)

#7055 2021-04-03 18:46:39

matt50xxzz

I’m a security researcher and love using Kali Linux for it. Ever since the Openvpn 2.5.1 release I’ve had issues with my PIA vpn running on Kali though it previously worked before the openvpn release sad I noticed a helpful post on this site and decided to join because of it! Unfortunately it didn’t fix the issue but gave me great insight into what is going on. I’m looking around on the forum to try to get this specific issue resolved. Any help is appreciated! Thanks for welcoming a newbie smile

#7056 2021-04-08 20:13:02

Klosteinmann

Hey everyone

I am Felix from Germany. Currently I try and install Arch for don't know which time really maybe 10 - 11 in my VM trying to figure out how to get it running and setup with proper drivers and a window manager so soon I could switch away from the demon canonical and Ubuntu. Even though I do like Ubuntu for it's relative big community I think I outgrown it over the years trying different distros from Linux Mint, KDE Plasma Desktop, PuppyOS, Manjaro Linux, Raspberry Pi OS, openSUSE reading and watching countless videos about Linux I got stuck with Ubuntu for simplicity reasons because it used to be the system I was first introduced with to Linux.

It is pretty late and the times are lame and who knows how long you live:
So story time after graduating from secondary school / high school for Americans in 2015 I didn't really knew what to do and frankly even with 21 y/o turning 22 this year I still don't really know what to do with myself anyway 16 y/o and pushed/recommended by mostly my older brother and parents started visiting a Professional school for Economics and picked the focus on computer science.

That year was great considering back in secondary school I was never able to take the IT class no matter how much I went to moan being jealous towards my friends for them getting a slot or annoying the teachers at the time for not giving me one. Small brat move getting in there was impossible. Why did I want to be in there? I probably wanted to check in on the course because I admire my next bigger brother a lot he is 7 years older then me but he always seemed to grasp how computers worked and even helped me built my PCs and recommend me parts when I didn't even know how a computer worked maybe for that admiration and dedication of him to me his younger sibling I was hyped for that year or really because there was nothing else at the time keeping me busy besides CS:GO. Also because the class seemed really easy considering that it was only our physic teacher leading the class probably teaching Office suite skills and basic HTML skills for the reminder of a year being or at least that's what I think it was judging from the opinions of my friends at the time being didn't have much.

I now remember fondly of learning those skills getting started on coding getting introduced into IT/Networking basics how to calculate an IP that is (honestly I forgot a lot over the time, as I still trashed my notes back then regularly after each year of school and wasn't really a guy that would sit down to learn stuff the textbook way like your supposed to) meet the basics of electronics switches and of course multimedia course talking about how to write a resume (that one was lame). Knowing now that I could have easily gained some skills by talking to me even older siblings with the oldest being 18 y/o then me (yep he changed my diapers) and have been working as mastered electricians, and been programming VBAs and helping in IT-Support/setting up ERP-System for semi-big companies and themselves, I really never noticed or cared up to that point to any of that or in particular programming besides maybe trying to learn Java to mod out my Minecraft game which I never did but was interested in because of a friend of mine who wrote his own in eclipse.

I remember having to learn how to decipher (I don't really remember what hmm sry) overall I enjoyed my time in the programming class for the first half of the year as in the later time when it actually came down to it I really was bad. A lot of the tasks got really hard for me like setting up a weather station outside that would report back in the temperature to the user using Arduino Uno REV3 If i remember that correctly might have been another board. Programming the function using Arduino IDE or getting into the first C# project which I immediately dropped like a bombshell seeing the complexity of the project I was attempting (it was a Zelda clone pretty much, I never played Zelda but a friend in class did and he was into the lore as well as on dark souls) in hindsight really stupid could have gathered some better good soft skills in programming, electronics If I just hadn't been so stubborn. Also I knew who of the students where fairly competent next to me which could already code in Eclipse or had no trouble on picking up a new language or where fairly well educated when it came to electronics.

Skipping forward to the end of the year or programming teacher at this point pretty feed up with mine (and probably a lot of the other students performance, as only a couple students really go into those other projects. I was trying but really I was kinda acting dumbfounded on a lot of this stuff as I had not touched anything like that before and was to stubborn to ask anybody for help) would be tasked to take out the old office Dell/HP PCs honestly I don't remember it where some old pre-builts on x86 Architecture to first identify some deliberately placed hardware error by one of our other tutors this mostly being related to a faulty BIOS, connection not done properly on the mobos etc. and then be tasked to install Arch from scratch probably with help from the teacher tough less should probably have effected you favourably in grading here.

Today as I learnt I'll probably make it easier on myself what we couldn't do back then and run the archinstall script, the nonscript experince is something which any novice user should take to get invested deeper into Linux. But can be the comfort feature to finally break the neck of the PC Maste Race people pretending that Arch is only for 1 sort of people honestly that's not what Arch is and ever was like any Linux Arch is meant for everyone.

Unfortunately I never got graded because my body had another idea that was to fight my incoming (at the time almost quarterly) quinsy so I missed out on that last lecture which I felt might have been the most important one and had to skip the test without a retrial on it. Which to this day I regret so for possibly that reason is why I wanna prove to myself that I can use it and setup Arch just like my friends/students in class did back then but also to finally get a bit more of a grip what Linux really is and how to use it, and possibly switch over from the devil desktop distro to a more complex one which leaves me more freedom on how to maintain and control my system.

So in a way Arch has significantly impacted my life. Also I kinda dig the history development of Arch considering it originated in Germany :-) yay we ain't completely fucked in digitalization. Though our politicians over the decades made sure we would be lagging behind everyone even in Europe heck even Latvia has better Internet then we do, our schools still have old projectors and only Munich gave a shit in completely trying to move off the government and administrating departments from an IT economic system controlled by Microsoft even before the 2015 released spyware, bloatware actioned Windows 10 only to a couple years ago crawling back to Microsoft. Anyway some really great people together with people around the world at least made a somehow well rounded Linux system and the main idea originated from Germany this makes me happy and cheerful for that we have a chance in this awkward situation(s) we are in.

Last edited by Klosteinmann (2021-04-08 20:21:34)

#7057 2021-04-12 13:38:46

baboon

Hi all,

My name is Michael, 36 years old, from Belgium. At the age of 21, I started working in IT but after some years I lived my dream and became a firefighter.
I still have some interests in IT but with the family and other stuff, it's not easy to follow this all the time.

I installed some linux distros for the first time in January. First Linux mint, Garuda, Ubuntu, Manjaro Plasma (still using on my current desktop) and now Arch. Started learning some basic linux stuff and still experimenting.

After 3 days of research on Arch and trying, I finally managed to install Arch Linux on a 13year old laptop an hour ago.
The current Arch installation is full of problems and I hope I can find some solutions here on the forum.

Last edited by baboon (2021-04-12 14:19:49)

#7058 2021-04-13 10:58:59

Sujay1844

Installed Arch a week ago (with some hiccups). Installed sway. I'm loving it. Arch Rocks

#7059 2021-04-13 14:18:37

sergekorol

I started using linux with Mandrake, finally on Arch from the recent use of Manjaro. I am now thinking of removing my Manjaro completely and just keep a thumbdrive handy if i ever need to install it.

Last edited by sergekorol (2021-04-13 14:23:54)

#7060 2021-04-14 10:22:37

SanskritFritz
Website

conglyvaness wrote:

Someone suggested to me on the Ubuntu Forums that I could use Arch Linux with KDEmod. I'm running it now! Pacman is really easy - one command to do everything

"KDEmod"? You mean Chakra wich was discontinued some years ago?

zʇıɹɟʇıɹʞsuɐs AUR || Cycling in Budapest with a helmet camera || Revised log levels proposal: "FYI" "WTF" and "OMG" (John Barnette)

#7061 2021-04-16 10:00:44

mailer-daemon-404

Hi legends,

I recently reentered the world of Linux, and had a great time installing Arch. Although frustrating at times (it was usually my fault smile it's always good to sink your teeth into something. The wiki. the forum and a few videos pretty much answered all much questions to get Arch, KDE and plasma on a 10+ yrs old iMac.

It fricken flies now and is still on the original platter discs. #winning

Take care.

#7062 2021-04-22 05:23:59

synicalx1

Hey all

Long time linux user here, finally made the jump to Arch due to getting sick of Manjaro and my trusty old X230 finally dying. So now I'm on a fresh install of Arch on my "new" T470, and so far so good. Fortunately I've got the benefit of running 'nix based systems for a living so the install process wasn't particularly eventful (running well supported hardware helped as well).

I'm genuinely shocked by the performance difference of Arch+XFCE vs Manjaro+XFCE on the same hardware - if I skip the bios splash screen I'm at a login prompt within about 10 seconds now vs 20 or so previously, I'm putting it down to having only the absolute bare-minimum launching on startup but I didn't expect it to be THAT much of a difference.

Anyway since I've referred to the ArchWiki on at least 2000 different occasions for help with obscure, and not so obscure issues I thought I might join in the fun here and see if I can make myself useful - or more likely, get pulled out of the fire when I inevitably break my install!

Cheers!

#7063 2021-04-24 05:17:06

CoderChris

Hello Everyone,

My name is Chris or as I go by on the net CoderChris. I started using Arch Linux about a year ago because I wanted to learn more about how computers worked under the hood and thought the best way to learn is trial by fire. I tried Ubuntu way back in the day when I was 16 (25 now) and I just didn't get it, but this time around I certainly have caught the Linux/Open Source bug. Other than Arch on my Thinkpad which I carry with me almost everywhere, I dual boot Windows 10 and OpenBSD on my desktop rig, run OSX on my work computer, and with part of my time at work help manage the Windows Server based IT infastructure. (It is a small company)

I am not a big fan of the operating system wars. I think for the most part different OSes/Distros developed under different historical constraints and have different use cases. Other than **** Windows because half my headaches are from Windows machine at work, but even that can be made livable with a good old Cygwin or WSL.

Anyway bit more about me if you are still reading and really want to know. I have a degree in music performance for the Euphonium (bonus point if you know what that is without looking it up), I work currently 9 to 5 at print shop as their lead prepress operator (meaning I work with PDF files all day in Adobe's Photoshop, Illustrator, and InDesign). I moonlight as a coder doing some web development and database migration work, hopefully I can make that my main gig at some point.

My favorite coding language is C by far. I started learning as a kid and I just love the power and near 1 to 1 relationship you have between your code and what the machine is actually doing. (Obviously not quite 1 to 1, but about as close as you can get without writing assembly) I have been working my way through the Advanced Programming in the Unix Environment book recently and I would highly recommend if anyone wants a comprehensive guide to C in Linux. I also have tried to write a few rogue likes over the years but nothing has yet reached the level where I want to publish it yet.

Other than C some other desktop languages I know or have some familiarity with are: C++, Python, x86 assembly, PHP, and GO. When I do web devlopment I prefer writing direct HTML/CSS where I can get away with it and try and stick to vanillia Javascript. That said though, I have been working on learning the Vue framework and to my suprise and shegrin I do not hate it. I mostly stick to front end work right now, but I have done some professional backend work in PHP. I want to get better at the Front End before I shift focus to the backend.

Other than that, I am the visual caption at a small DCA drum and bugle corp, I read quite a bit of books, I listen to quite a lot of music (hit me up if you want some recommends), I am a recent convert to Christianity but unaffiliated with a denomenation/church yet (reading a lot about Orthodoxy so draw what conclusions you wish from that), and I do a lot of projects around my old house I just bought.

I like to stay busy, but also if anything piques your interest please feel free to reach out. If anything we can send a few good emails back and forth.

Anyway sorry I didn't know I had so many words tonight. If you are still with me, first off find someone more interesting to read, but second I wish you well and that your journey in Arch/Linux will be a fun adventure of much learning, excitement, growth, and enjoyment.

Peace,
Chris C.

“And who better understands the Unix-nature?” Master Foo asked. “Is it he who writes the ten thousand lines, or he who, perceiving the emptiness of the task, gains merit by not coding?”

Upon hearing this, the programmer was enlightened.
Originally by Eric S. Raymond

#7064 2021-04-26 02:02:19

Ch3stnut

Hi All,

Quite new to Linux in general, have been playing with Ubuntu and Pop_OS for about 8 months, but wanted to learn more.  So have now jumped in and installed Arch.

Loving the learning process so far, and how uncluttered the system looks without all the extras installed.

Cheers

#7065 2021-04-26 03:22:45

Plaz

Heya everyone! Im Plaz (in case you probably didn't notice) I'm actually basically brand new to Linux in general, choosing Arch since my current laptop is less than ideal, and I had heard a lot about all the performance improvements available from the system. I have installed arch at least 12 times at this point because i don't know how to troubleshoot properly on this unfamiliar system (lol) but i am 100% open to learning to make something useful from myself with a subject i have been fascinated with ever since i could remember.

also im a gamer tongue

mr. barely working arch install

#7066 2021-04-29 12:30:02

polv

Hello. I am Pol from Thailand. Randomly created a nickname for myself under polv. I even have a website https://polv.cc

Although  I am not new to Linux (was distro-hopping 10 years, before switch to macOS, then back to Linux), I have never tried Arch-based distro.

Then, I started with Manjaro, from someone's recommendation, then Arco, then Arch (via archinstall first, then vanilla - well, I reinstalled).

Now, fearing to lose data, I probably won't reinstall again yet...

My career is nothing about computer, though.

#7067 2021-05-03 23:49:29

glenjo

I've been using ArchLinux about a year now - great distro!

#7068 2021-05-04 13:52:30

vibrion
Website

I'm Martin,Hi to everyone!
I'm a long time Linux user, starting with Slackware on 6CD (kernel 2.0) then SUSE 6 (also on original CD) and from several years to now Gentoo and others mixed distros (mainly on virtual machines) Latest Sysrescuecd made me curious about Arch so I've installed flawlesly on a new server. Even XEN (from git AUR) is running on it. I'm having some issues with Xen domu + Btrfs but i'll post in the right place smile
Greetings

#7069 2021-05-06 00:36:21

sergekorol

I have had Arch on my desktop since April 15th and just got my laptop moved to Arch today. Started with Linux back in the Mandrake Linux days. I must say that i came most recently from Manjaro on both computers, first as a challenge, then out of necessity. Manjaro just wouldn't work on my hybrid Amd R5/R7 graphics card in my laptop, but had it working perfectly in just a few commands in Arch. Thanks for an excellent distro. I think i found my home.

#7070 2021-05-06 05:43:29

troyus23

Last edited by troyus23 (2022-11-20 21:29:25)

fnord

#7071 2021-05-07 14:13:44

dhorifinn

Hello guys! Just arrived on the forum from Italy. See ya all around!

#7072 2021-05-10 00:17:56

lucasgta95
Website

Installed arch recently, liking so much, everything stable and lightweight

#7073 2021-05-15 01:25:42

Eigenman

Hello World. This is my first post to the ArchLinux Forum Newbie Corner.

#7074 2021-05-24 13:13:33

night.fox.kr

Hello. I have been using Arch for 2 weeks now. I was ubuntu based user for a long time until recently that I had a new laptop. I installed mint, at first it boots but after update, blank screen. Thats when I distro hopped for 2 weeks until I settled with Manjaro. I started reading about Arch and did alot of trial and error installing in my Virt-Man for like a week! (Damn that was a lot of research)

After I got the hang of installing on Virt-Man, decided to install on my desktop. And I had a success, tinkering, finding right packages since I only installed kde-desktop as my DE. After few days playing around with my desktop, I decided to replace Manjaro on my Laptop. My laptop is running Arch for like 4 days now and I couldnt be happier with result.

So I have 2 Arch system. I wanted to install arch on my very old laptop as well since my 4 yrs old daughter started playing around with computers now smile

#7075 2021-05-26 20:10:21

lory001

Hello guys! Here's Lorenzo from Italy. I'm 29 and after many years using windows I'm trying to switch back to Linux with this Arch distribution.
Everything looks good even the little pains to make everything works! big_smile

Board footer