You are not logged in.

#1 2021-03-30 23:35:12

alfmel

[Resolved] Temporary UI freeze on keyboard/mouse

I just bought a used ThnkPad x260 laptop (i5-6300U, Skylake GT2 [HD Graphics 520]). When running X I get temporary freezes in the UI when I start to type or move the mouse. The freeze is temporary, lasting anywhere from 1-5 seconds. When it unfreezes whatever I typed or mouse movements I did catch up all at once. Here are some things I have noticed about the problem:

- If I move the mouse and it freezes, hitting a key on the keyboard makes it unfreeze immediately
- I am able to switch virtual consoles when it is frozen
- If I run top on a non-minimized terminal window the problem goes away; minimize the window and the problem returns

I am running KDE, on X. Here are some other things I have tried that haven't worked:

- I have run latest Fedora on the same machine with the same problem (Gnome)
- I have removed the xf86-video-intel package
- I have booted with processor.max_cstate=1

Any ideas on the secret kernel or X parameter I need to resolve the issue?

Last edited by alfmel (2021-03-31 20:24:19)

#2 2021-03-31 06:20:59

seth

Re: [Resolved] Temporary UI freeze on keyboard/mouse

If I run top on a non-minimized terminal window the problem goes away; minimize the window and the problem returns

top specifically or anything that produces continuous output? glxgears?

sudo libinput debug-events /dev/input/eventN #sudo libinput debug-events lists the devices, pick your mouse

Does this produce ouput while the mouse seems frozen?

To add on this: does only the input freeze or does the input freeze and everything else (eg. a playing movie)?

I have booted with processor.max_cstate=1

intel_idle.max_cstate=1 i915.enable_fbc=0 i915.enable_psr=0

Finally, are you positive that this is an X11 session and does it happen w/ wayland (gnome default) as well?

#3 2021-03-31 14:16:31

alfmel

Thank you for the reply and the pointers. I think we are making progress.

seth wrote:

top specifically or anything that produces continuous output? glxgears?

Anything with output. I first noticed it running dmesg to see if there were any kernel events happening. Running glxgears (even without a terminal) makes the problem go away. Running cat with no parameters even appears to work.

seth wrote:

Does (libinput) produce ouput while the mouse seems frozen?

I couldn't tell. The problem went away since there is a window with continuous output.

seth wrote:

To add on this: does only the input freeze or does the input freeze and everything else (eg. a playing movie)?

That's hard to tell. It doesn't happen when playing a movie, possibly as something is updating the screen. When it happens it's hard to know if it was the video that froze, or the input, or both.

seth wrote:
intel_idle.max_cstate=1 i915.enable_fbc=0 i915.enable_psr=0

Adding these kernel parameters have made the problem go away. I will look into these and see if there is just one that solves the issue.

seth wrote:

Finally, are you positive that this is an X11 session and does it happen w/ wayland (gnome default) as well?

I will test this. Based on what I saw with Fedora i would assume wayland had the same issue. As I do my parameter testing I will test KDE on wayland as well.

#4 2021-03-31 14:29:24

alfmel

One more bit of information: When on X11, turning KDE's compositor off does not solve the issue.

seth wrote:

It is only an X11 issue. Running a Plasma Wayland session without the kernel parameters makes the problem go away. hmm

#5 2021-03-31 15:03:57

seth

Adding these kernel parameters have made the problem go away. I will look into these and see if there is just one that solves the issue.

You should try to figure which one. My money is on enable_psr=0

#6 2021-03-31 19:23:05

alfmel

seth wrote:

You should try to figure which one. My money is on enable_psr=0

You were right! enable_psr=0 in the kernel command line fixed the problem.

Thank you very much, Seth!

#7 2021-03-31 19:51:21

seth

~ ◉ modinfo i915 | grep psr
parm:           enable_psr:Enable PSR (0=disabled, 1=enabled) Default: -1 (use per-chip default) (int)
parm:           psr_safest_params:Replace PSR VBT parameters by the safest and not optimal ones. This is helpful to detect if PSR issues are related to bad values set in  VBT. (0=use VBT parameters, 1=use safest parameters) (bool)

Please always remember to mark resolved threads by editing your initial posts subject - so others will know that there's no task left, but maybe a solution to find.
Thanks.

Board footer