You are not logged in.

#1 2021-03-25 15:20:47

ljshap

[SOLVED - UNSOLVABLE] Keyboard no longer working prior to LUKS prompt

=================
I chrooted into another Arch Distribution inside my LVM over Luks block which I have done in the past without any problems.
I didn't encounter any problems this time either until I rebooted and was no longer able to use my keyboard until the LUKS Passphrase prompt of
my primary distribution.  From this point on the keyboard worked fine, but I was no longer able to enter the hardware BIOS or choose another     
distribution.

Steps Taken:

1)  I tried using a wired usb keyboard but had the same results.

2)  I used the Arch installation disk mounting the esp partition, home partition and the root partition followed by arch-chroot and the following steps:

rm -r /boot/* 
        reinstalled grub.
        reinstall linux linux-firmware linux-headers

grub-install --target=x86_64-efi   --efi-directory=/boot    --bootloader-id=GRUB
        mkinitcpio -p linux
        grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg

I was hoping I had just corrupted the EFI, but I had the same results.

Any suggestions appreciated!

Thanks

====================
SOLVED - Sort of
====================

Started working after using a different USB bank.
Yea, I know, but in MY DEFENSE I did attach a wired USB keyboard to a different USB bank as well as the wireless keyboard to another USB in the original USB bank and had the same result.

It doesn't make sense that a USB port would be at fault when the keyboard works after GRUB.

It doesn't make any sense to me either!!!

Last edited by ljshap (2021-04-01 13:31:05)

Live Free or Die !

#2 2021-04-01 01:08:23

Defender110

Re: [SOLVED - UNSOLVABLE] Keyboard no longer working prior to LUKS prompt

I ran into this same problem today on my daily driver desktop which hadn't been updated in a few weeks.   As soon as the system booted to the LUKS prompt, the keyboard became unusable.  Moving the keyboard to another port had no effect.

I eventually worked around it it by plugging in an entirely different keyboard, entering LUKS password, then plugging the old keyboard back in.

Something is definitely broken here and I'm not sure that I would call this thread "SOLVED".

#3 2021-04-01 13:27:20

ljshap

Defender110 wrote:

I ran into this same problem today on my daily driver desktop which hadn't been updated in a few weeks.   As soon as the system booted to the LUKS prompt, the keyboard became unusable.  Moving the keyboard to another port had no effect.

I eventually worked around it it by plugging in an entirely different keyboard, entering LUKS password, then plugging the old keyboard back in.

Something is definitely broken here and I'm not sure that I would call this thread "SOLVED".

I edited the subject to [SOLVED - UNSOLVABLE based on the fact that somebody else had a similar weird problem.  I have no idea whether this is a software or hardware problem so it appears to be very hard to even diagnose.   After seeing your post I tried another wireless keyboard and had the same results.  I get the same results with two of the three usb blocks, so that only two usb ports work properly.  Another reason  I marked it solved is that I'm dealing with an 8 1/2 year which increases the chance for hardware problems.  This computer become my primary computer again after replacing my 4 year old ZA Reason computer which crapped out on me twice, the last time being fatal.

Last edited by ljshap (2021-04-01 13:30:30)

Live Free or Die !

#4 2021-04-01 16:12:21

Defender110

I'm not sure that it's "unsolvable".  There is some regression.  Not sure what.

#5 2021-04-02 10:31:46

ljshap

Defender110 wrote:

I'm not sure that it's "unsolvable".  There is some regression.  Not sure what.

I'm saying that it may be unsolvable due to the lack of information provided by me.  I don't know if its hardware, BIOS, EFI or other software issues.
I recreated the esp and did not see anything applicable in the BIOS. 
I have done some experimentation which only resulted in additional questions. 
The fact that the computer is 8.5 years old does increase the possibility of weirdness.

Live Free or Die !

Board footer