You are not logged in.

#1 2021-04-03 17:29:21

nedrysoft

pingnoo - a traceroute/ping analyser

Hi,

I have been working on a project since around this time last year when lockdown started in the UK, it also appeared in the hot picks section of the April 2021 edition of Linux Format to my surprise!

It's a ping/traceroute analyzer application, I originally started the project just for my own uses but decided early on just to open source it all.  It's a Qt-based application, it spawned a few other projects as part of the development of it.

I had been providing packages for Ubuntu, Debian and Fedora but was asked a few days back about providing arch support.  Along with the requester's input & help, I added support in my deployment script to support the generation of a PKGBUILD file, earlier today I managed to set it up on the AUR.

The application is called pingnoo.  There are a couple of control sizing issues that have popped up under arch that I haven't seen on any other platform (Ubuntu, Fedora, Debian, macOS or Windows) which I will look into solving over the reset of the holiday weekend.

FWZYDEM.png

Image link
AUR Link
GitHub Link
Website Link

#2 2021-04-03 18:50:33

Slithery
Administrator

Re: pingnoo - a traceroute/ping analyser

There are a few issues with the PKGBUILD...

As you are pulling from git and using a pkgver function then the package name should be pingoo-git

Don't set the number of threads for building in the PKGBUILD, it's up to the user to specify their own preference in makepkg.conf

In the package function you can use the install command instead of mkdir and cp to haalf the number of lines needed.

No, it didn't "fix" anything. It just shifted the brokeness one space to the right. - jasonwryan
Closing -- for deletion; Banning -- for muppetry. - jasonwryan

aur - dotfiles

#3 2021-04-03 20:08:12

nedrysoft

Slithery wrote:

There are a few issues with the PKGBUILD...

As you are pulling from git and using a pkgver function then the package name should be pingoo-git

Don't set the number of threads for building in the PKGBUILD, it's up to the user to specify their own preference in makepkg.conf

In the package function you can use the install command instead of mkdir and cp to haalf the number of lines needed.

Hi, thanks.

I'll switch it out from git to a source tarball.

I did consider removing the thread limit.  The background on why it's like that is because I need to limit the number of threads that the compiler uses on my CI machine because it runs containerised distributions and it only has 64GB of RAM, so I have to limit the amount of RAM to each container, if a container spawns too many compile threads in the container then the container runs out of memory and the kernel kills the tasks and the compiles fail.  I guess I can pass something into make via an environment variable to solve this.

I'll switch out to using install as well.

Thanks for your comments.

#4 2021-04-03 20:54:25

progandy

nedrysoft wrote:

I did consider removing the thread limit.  The background on why it's like that is because I need to limit the number of threads that the compiler uses on my CI machine because it runs containerised distributions and it only has 64GB of RAM, so I have to limit the amount of RAM to each container, if a container spawns too many compile threads in the container then the container runs out of memory and the kernel kills the tasks and the compiles fail.  I guess I can pass something into make via an environment variable to solve this.

You should probably set it in makepkg.conf in your container (in /etc/, or you builduser config)
https://man.archlinux.org/man/core/pacm … .conf.5.en

| alias CUTF='LANG=en_XX.UTF-8@POSIX ' |

#5 2021-04-03 22:39:49

nedrysoft

progandy wrote:
nedrysoft wrote:

You should probably set it in makepkg.conf in your container (in /etc/, or you builduser config)
https://man.archlinux.org/man/core/pacm … .conf.5.en

Cool, thanks I will take a look.

In the meantime, I've fixed the 2 initial problems mentioned:

- it now downloads the source tarball from my server.
- I removed the -j 4

I'll clean up the actual build() macro tomorrow.

Thanks for the comments and heads up.

Edit:

Ha, I checked the /etc/makepkg.conf file and it defaults to the output from nproc -1, so it already does exactly what I need it to do.

Last edited by nedrysoft (2021-04-03 22:47:04)

Board footer