You are not logged in.

#1 2021-04-04 13:52:41

u666sa

Arch Linux source tree -- Arch Vs. FreeBSD

What's up guys. Hi from Russia.

Something that I realized. Distro-hopping wize I went Ubuntu, Fedora, FreeBSD, Manjaro, Arco, arch graphical installer, and then Arch the usual proper way. I haven't abandoned Windows, I use two different laptops, arch laptop is my primary.

Basically guys, arch devs, realize this. During nuclear war when everything is down, there is no internet, neither Arch nor Windows cut it. Because you can not download anything, there is no internet. FreeBSD however, is a complete operating system. In fact, it was made, it is a conspiracy theory by me, by people who intended to use it this way. In other words, if there is nuclear war, you could use FreeBSD usb flash drive to install everything, while with arch or windows, forget it, you can not.

Thus, my please to arch devs. Could you please include a script that can download and maintain a current arch build system tree right on the hard drive. And perhaps a second, separate script, that would include AUR on local HDD.

As you can see, for me nuclear war is a real concern.

P.S. imagine yourselves trying to install anything in apocalyptic environment without internet. You boys needs graphical installer, something like FreeBSD, and a local source tree. I imagine as well as AUR local source tree.

Last edited by u666sa (2021-04-04 13:54:38)

#2 2021-04-04 14:04:13

Scimmia
Fellow

Re: Arch Linux source tree -- Arch Vs. FreeBSD

I really can't tell if this thread was meant as a joke or not.

#3 2021-04-04 14:40:10

GaKu999

Scimmia wrote:

I really can't tell if this thread was meant as a joke or not.

But, but, if an nuclear war happens how do I use my arch?!?!

Seriously, hopefully by the time it ends, if there are actually remaining humans, and radioactivity is not the world’s almighty overlord, getting your computer with arch would/should not be the #1 priority.

For the action, you just make a mirror, note that for the repos it’s going to be huuuuuge, like +50GB.

My reposSome snippets

Heisenberg might have been here.

#4 2021-04-04 14:41:12

Daerandin
Website

Ignoring everything else here, I just want to point out that you can't "download" the AUR as it does not contain packages. For the AUR to work offline, you additionally need all the sources that each AUR PKGBUILD needs.

#5 2021-04-04 14:43:24

GaKu999

Daerandin wrote:

Ignoring everything else here, I just want to point out that you can't "download" the AUR as it does not contain packages. For the AUR to work offline, you additionally need all the sources that each AUR PKGBUILD needs.

Imagine using a spider to make a snapshot of every source repository out there as well as the full AUR, dang how big would that be...anyone got estimates?

My reposSome snippets

Heisenberg might have been here.

#6 2021-04-04 15:05:54

u666sa

GD. No this thread is not a joke!

Literally, think of it this way. No internet. You want a full GUI workstation. Arch can't do it for you. Windows can't do it for you - driver's duh. FreeBSD will do it for you, I have it on my flash drive as backup option, although I don't use FreeBSD.

Thus, @arch devs. Script please, something that will make something similar to FreeBSD sources on your HDD, so that you can install everything off your USB when there is no internet.

#7 2021-04-04 15:09:28

Scimmia
Fellow

You keep conflating sources and packages that you can install. If you just want the packages, they're already in your cache. Otherwise run your own mirror.

If you want sources ala FreeBSD, that's not gonna happen.

#8 2021-04-04 15:14:38

schard
Website

If you want a portable, offline medium to install Arch Linux from, then you can do it via archiso.
Just Create your custom ISO with all main databases and their respective packages downloaded into a folder on the ISO and provide it as a repository for installation.
There, you're done.

#9 2021-04-04 17:46:11

Lone_Wolf

For the PKGBUILD sources you could clone https://github.com/archlinux/svntogit-community.git  .
No idea how to get all the 3rd party sources those PKGBUILDs need to build though .

Disliking systemd intensely, but not satisfied with alternatives so focusing on taming systemd.

(A works at time B)  && (time C > time B ) ≠  (A works at time C)

#10 2021-04-04 20:41:35

Morn

u666sa wrote:

Literally, think of it this way. No internet. You want a full GUI workstation. Arch can't do it for you. Windows can't do it for you - driver's duh. FreeBSD will do it for you, I have it on my flash drive as backup option, although I don't use FreeBSD.

An EMP from a nuclear explosion will probably fry your computer, its screen, and that flash drive (or just flip a lot of bits so the data becomes useless). Not much point in a Linux distro or FreeBSD if you have nothing to run it on! Modern electronics barely works reliably under current, almost optimum conditions with no power outages and easy access to replacement parts, which would not be available after a nuclear war.

If you are really worried about nuclear war, I'd say bury a cookie tin with Russian Z80 clones, assembly manuals, and support chips in your yard. Modern PCs and laptops are too complicated and hard to repair. If one chip in them goes, the whole device may be useless if a replacement part is not available. And it doesn't even take a nuclear war to cause a chip shortage as we are seeing right now: https://asia.nikkei.com/Business/Tech/S … month-halt

#11 2021-04-05 14:07:42

twelveeighty

u666sa wrote:

[...]nuclear war is a real concern.

Sure, but during/post a nuclear war, water and food are my main concerns, not doing another Arch installation since I already have a working system? And whether I like it or not, all of the tasks I perform on my Arch machine require an Internet connection, which I'm sure is the first thing to go?

As someone who grew up during the heights of the Cold War, those were the *real* days of fear. Turns out, 99.9% of that was just that: fear. Accept the fact any one of us can drop dead at any moment, surround yourself with humans or animals you love and you'll be in a much better place.

#12 2021-04-05 18:54:12

eschwartz
Fellow

u666sa wrote:

Basically guys, arch devs, realize this. During nuclear war when everything is down, there is no internet, neither Arch nor Windows cut it. Because you can not download anything, there is no internet. FreeBSD however, is a complete operating system. In fact, it was made, it is a conspiracy theory by me, by people who intended to use it this way. In other words, if there is nuclear war, you could use FreeBSD usb flash drive to install everything, while with arch or windows, forget it, you can not.

Thus, my please to arch devs. Could you please include a script that can download and maintain a current arch build system tree right on the hard drive. And perhaps a second, separate script, that would include AUR on local HDD.

As you can see, for me nuclear war is a real concern.

P.S. imagine yourselves trying to install anything in apocalyptic environment without internet. You boys needs graphical installer, something like FreeBSD, and a local source tree. I imagine as well as AUR local source tree.

This is just factually untrue. The FreeBSD src/ repository contains only sources for the core operating system provided by FreeBSD itself, and does not provide sources for the ports tree.

So, neither FreeBSD ports nor the AUR will be available during a nuclear war that cripples the internet.

Regarding the src/ repository, this is directly comparable to Arch's binary repos, which, if you have a local mirror of binary packages, you are set for any use. You can download and maintain your system for as long as you need, or install Arch to an infinite number of new machines, but unlike FreeBSD src/ you cannot tweak it and recompile.

If you would like to tweak it and recompile, you may check out our source tree via either 'pacman -S asp' or cloning https://git.archlinux.org/svntogit/community.git and https://git.archlinux.org/svntogit/packages.git and setting up a local distfiles (as FreeBSD calls it) cache, see makepkg.conf -> SRCDEST. Then recurse into each individual package recipe and invoke 'makepkg --verifysource'.

This solution scales to the AUR as well (may need manual list of interesting packages) and is directly equivalent to setting DISTDIR in make.conf and then running 'make fetch && make checksum' for each port.

Managing AUR repos The Right Way -- aurpublish (now a standalone tool)

#13 2021-04-05 19:11:53

thorstenhirsch

LMAO.

Well, I can understand, that nuclear war is a real concern for some people and it's understandable that in order to prepare for the worst you need food and water and maybe a nuclear bomb shelter. But it's so funny to imagine a prepper running into his shelter, checking all the stuff... "food? ok. water? ok. pacman -Syu? works. glad i've mirrored core, extra, and community repos." big_smile big_smile big_smile

#14 2021-04-05 19:26:21

ugjka
Website

MPV works, check
Pr0n HDD intact, check
All set smile

https://ugjka.net
paru > yay | webcord > discord
pacman -S spotify-launcher
mount /dev/disk/by-...

Board footer