You are not logged in.

#1 2021-03-18 05:35:29

Mrhawkbox

Installed refind doesn't work lvm luks

Hey I was wondering what's the easiest way to switch bootloaders? I really don't want to a another install.frankly I'm to lazy for that. Blegh should of just used grub from the start.

#2 2021-03-18 09:39:40

V1del
Forum Moderator

Re: Installed refind doesn't work lvm luks

Just install it. https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/GR … allation_2

That will create a new entry in NVRAM, you can remove refind if you want but it wouldn't be strictly necessary.

Last edited by V1del (2021-03-18 09:41:22)

#3 2021-03-18 23:34:35

Mrhawkbox

V1del wrote:

Just install it. https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/GR … allation_2

That will create a new entry in NVRAM, you can remove refind if you want but it wouldn't be strictly necessary.

Ok, I'm trying to mount sda3 where thee root partition is . It says it can't read file system type.

file -Ls /dev/mapper/root 

Says no such file or directory. I'm honestly at a loss.
I already used cryptsetup and opened it.

I want to just start the install again but that won't help me if I ever see this problem again.

#4 2021-03-19 02:39:33

Mrhawkbox

Figured out what was wrong. I assumed it was unlocked but it really wasn't. It just mapped to a name on SDA that isn't the proper name. I have one more question. if I followed the standard tutorial would it be something I named?Or a in the tutorial like lv_root or volgroup0?

#5 2021-04-06 01:45:13

cfr

Can you rename this thread? The current subject is misleading in respect to the content and false since refind works fine with LVM on LUKS. (Maybe there's something special about your case, but it works fine in general.)

To answer your question, if you mean your encrypted container, you would have named it. But I don't know if that's what you meant as your suggested names seem related to LVM rather than LUKS. You will have named your volume group, too, though.

CLI Paste | How To Ask Questions

Arch Linux | x86_64 | GPT | EFI boot | refind | stub loader | systemd | LVM2 on LUKS
Lenovo x270 | Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-7200U CPU @ 2.50GHz | Intel Wireless 8265/8275 | US keyboard w/ Euro | 512G NVMe INTEL SSDPEKKF512G7L

#6 2021-04-09 04:04:23

Mrhawkbox

cfr wrote:

Can you rename this thread? The current subject is misleading in respect to the content and false since refind works fine with LVM on LUKS. (Maybe there's something special about your case, but it works fine in general.)

To answer your question, if you mean your encrypted container, you would have named it. But I don't know if that's what you meant as your suggested names seem related to LVM rather than LUKS. You will have named your volume group, too, though.

Honestly I don't think it does work. As on the webpage it is beta quality software. I tried it on this acer machine 2 different dells , a custom built and my asus laptop. So honestly I don't think it's misleading at all. It works fine without any encryption on the 2 dells and lvm. Doesn't work with lvm on the acer asus or custom built. None work with luks. I've spent countless hours trying to fix it or to see if it was pebkac scenario. It always drops into emergency shell with luks. IT'ss drop into the emergency  shell with certain machines on lvm.

Last edited by Mrhawkbox (2021-04-09 04:09:49)

Board footer