zaciars

Help debloat kde plasma

I've installed arch linux several months ago and installed all these packages :
-plasma
-plasma-meta
-plasma-wayland-session
-kde-applications
-kde-applications-meta

But now I want to debloat my system because I have so many unnecessary applications on my system.

And I think I shouldn't have installed packages and packages-meta at the same time, sorry.

#2 2021-04-08 12:36:33

V1del
Forum Moderator

Re: Help debloat kde plasma

What do you want to "debloat" exactly? Only you know what you need and use. FWIW you can get rid of the meta packages they will be removed anyway as soon as you remove dependants and they are also not relevant since they only exist to pull everything in. Installing the groups additionally on top will also be irrelevant since that's just another way of logically pulling in all the packages.

Go through the package list of

pacman -Sg kde-applications

and remove the things you feel you don't need. If you accidentally remove something you actually need it's quickly installed again.

FWIW looking at the more specialized groups might help you, e.g. if you don't want any of the games you can just remove the entire kde-games group/meta package-

Last edited by V1del (2021-04-08 12:41:10)

#3 2021-04-08 12:41:25

zaciars

V1del wrote:

What do you want to "debloat" exactly? Only you know what you need and use. FWIW you can get rid of the meta packages they will be removed anyway as soon as you remove dependants and they are also not relevant since they only exist to pull everything in. Installing the groups additionally on top will also be irrelevant since that's just another way of logically pulling in all the packages.

I want to remove some of the apps in kde-applications packages, but pacman -R result in "... break dependecies required by ..."

I also want to delete the -meta package

#4 2021-04-08 15:44:42

mcmillan

zaciars wrote:
V1del wrote:

I want to remove some of the apps in kde-applications packages, but pacman -R result in "... break dependecies required by ..."

I also want to delete the -meta package

You'll also need to remove anything that uses a package as a dependency at the same time (including the -meta packages). If you want to automate that you can use pacman -Rc, but be careful that you're not removing anything you need.  Using -Rcp to print the output and check the list might be a good idea. Running -Rsc might also be a good idea as well to remove the dependencies for the packages you don't want anymore at the same time (take a look at these options in the pacman man page to understand exactly what you're doing)

Board footer