You are not logged in.

#1 2021-04-08 12:15:47

diziet_sma

Bottles Flatpak - sound okay in winecfg, doesn't play in apps [solved]

Hi all, first post yay!

There are a bunch of legacy games I like to play in wine; now that I'm on Arch I've started using Bottles for that, since it's given me the least buggy experience as far as graphics and stability. However, no sound plays in actual Windows apps... Even though the sound test button works fine in winecfg, producing the usual audible beeps. The Flatpak does have pulseaudio permissions enabled.

The "Command Line" and "Debug" buttons in Bottles don't actually do anything, so I tried debugging in Flatpak:

flatpak run --command=bash com.usebottles.bottles
[? com.usebottles.bottles ~]$ export PATH=~/.local/share/bottles/runners/chardonnay-6.4/bin:$PATH
[? com.usebottles.bottles ~]$ export WINEPREFIX=~/.local/share/bottles/bottles/some-windows-game
[? com.usebottles.bottles ~]$ winecfg
002c:fixme:winediag:LdrInitializeThunk wine-staging 6.4 is a testing version containing experimental patches.
002c:fixme:winediag:LdrInitializeThunk Please mention your exact version when filing bug reports on winehq.org.
Application could not be started, or no application associated with the specified file.
ShellExecuteEx failed: File not found.

002c:fixme:winediag:LdrInitializeThunk wine-staging 6.4 is a testing version containing experimental patches.
002c:fixme:winediag:LdrInitializeThunk Please mention your exact version when filing bug reports on winehq.org.
Application could not be started, or no application associated with the specified file.

[? com.usebottles.bottles ~]$ export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=~/.local/share/bottles/runners/chardonnay-6.4/lib:$PATH

Not as easy as I expected. I think the problem is I'm missing some environment variables there, but I'm not really clear which ones I need to set to what.

Can anyone advise on the sound issue, or failing that, on how to get the wine commands working in a Flatpak command shell?

Update: for now I'm using wine-ubuntu-stable from the AUR, and that's working fine. Still interested in what's going on with this issue though.

Last edited by diziet_sma (2021-04-09 14:58:14)

#2 2021-04-09 14:59:26

diziet_sma

Re: Bottles Flatpak - sound okay in winecfg, doesn't play in apps [solved]

Found the issue. Sound doesn't work for Windows programs run from a directory outside a bottle, even if Bottles has full RW access to that directory. No idea why but it seems to be a thing.

Board footer