You are not logged in.

#1 2003-02-05 12:50:31

rasat
Forum Fellow
Website

bbtools to run?

How to get bbtools (bbpager, bbsmount) to run when starting x-window (Openbox, Blackbox, etc.)?

Markku

#2 2003-02-05 14:40:43

jk
Website

Re: bbtools to run?

Put them in your ~/.xinitrc before the call to the window manager like this:

bbpager&
bbsmount&
exec blackbox

#3 2003-02-05 14:45:50

Rouslan

If you're starting X from console (`startx`), then put commands you need to run into the ~/.xinitrc. It shoud look somewhat similar to:

#
# ~/.xinitrc
#
/usr/bin/bbpager &
/usr/bin/bbsmount &
exec blackbox         #change to whatever wm you want
# end of file

If you're starting from GDM, then create a small bash script like

#!/bin/bash
# 
# ~/bin/startup
#
/usr/bin/bbpager &
/usr/bin/bbsmount &
# end of file

Name it startup or whatever you want and put it into ~/bin/. Don't forget to chmod 755 it. Then simply call it from your session startup file, I'm not on my box right now, but I think that it's /opt/gnome/share/gdm/Sessions/Your_Window_Manager .
That should be it, good luck!

Rouslan

#4 2003-02-06 02:37:28

rasat
Forum Fellow
Website

I am using kdm (Openbox). Doesn't use .xinitrc. Where do you add the code?

Markku

#5 2003-02-06 06:16:58

BluPhoenyx

This should be considered a hack, but you can make GDM or KDM use the .xinitrc or actually the .xsession file. AFAIK, there are at least three variants, .xinitrc, .xsession or .Xclients depending on the X configuration. In GDM or KDM you should be able to select the 'default' desktop option which should run the users .xsession script. To ensure the default desktop runs, symlink this file so it points to the correct .xinitrc script.

The more correct method for this concerns 'Session Types'. You add these to the KDE Login Session control section and the add the session itself into the script file /opt/kde/share/config/kdm/Xsession. Ok, this is real brief but it's where KDE launches the scripts from. IIRC, you would actually launch your own script as needed. I prefer the prior method myself.

BluPhoenyx

#6 2003-02-06 13:47:07

rasat
Forum Fellow
Website

BluPhoenyx wrote:

In GDM or KDM you should be able to select the 'default' desktop option which should run the users .xsession script. To ensure the default desktop runs, symlink this file so it points to the correct .xinitrc script.
.....add the session itself into the script file /opt/kde/share/config/kdm/Xsession.

I got it to run.

What I did, I checked the script in .../config/kdm/Xsession. It runs the user's .xsession (default), as you said. I made one .xsession file in both /root and /home/"user" folders. Kept kdm's session type as default.
On my first try the /root/.xsession didn't run.... forgot to change the permission (chmod 755). Now its fine smile.

/root/.xsession

bbpager &
/usr/bin/openbox

Markku

Board footer