You are not logged in.

#1 2021-04-09 12:01:29

SpacetimeBull

Archinstall KDE-Wayland not working, returns to frozen termi [SOLVED]

I did a archinstall of KDE wayland with Ext4 on my nvme m.2 and the archinstall went fine, I chose ext4 KDE-wayland prop nvidia drivers, and it auto installed then I restarted and logged in through sddm and it returned me to the terminal but it was frozen(nothing was running or anything).

I believe it may be an issue with the Wayland but I was able to get wayland working with prop nvidia driver on Fedora 34 workstation. I would love to run KDE-wayland but it returns to a frozen(full size with max resolution) terminal and it freezes.

I used:
5 3600
Nvme SSD m.2
Ext4
Kde-wayland
Prop nvidia drivers
Archinstall(from the latest Iso) it is a “guided” installer.

How to reproduce:
1. Download latest arch iso from yesterday
2. Erase m.2 nvme through gparted
3. Boot into UEFI mode with arch iso
4. Choose first default boot option
5. Type archinstall
6. Select 21
7. Select 50
8. Select nvme drive (auto partition)
10. Do passwords, users, disk encryption(no effect I tried with and without encryption)
11. Did not install other packages
12. Clicked enter and let the script run
13. Rebooted ( it said no errors )
14. Remove installation medium
15. Login to KDE wayland

Last edited by SpacetimeBull (2021-04-14 20:22:02)

#2 2021-04-09 20:03:03

HalosGhost
Forum Moderator
Website

Re: Archinstall KDE-Wayland not working, returns to frozen termi [SOLVED]

Split out an unrelated thread to here: https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=265369

All the best,

-HG

#3 2021-04-09 23:21:34

icar

This is because the installer is half baked. It can't even search keyboard layouts correctly.

Anyway, I guess you'd want to share the log the installer creates if you expect assistance.

#4 2021-04-10 17:54:04

V1del
Forum Moderator

Post/check your journal from when you are kicked back to terminal. Nvidia requires modesetting to be enabled for wayland, is that the case? https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/NV … de_setting

Moving to the installer subforum.

#5 2021-04-11 15:02:20

Torxed

Not sure why I didn't get a notification about a post being made here (since I subscribe to this forum section specifically), so apologies for the some what late answer.

So nvidia proprietary driver is notoriously horrific *(at the time of writing)* to work with Wayland in general because they've opposed themselves to the GBM buffer API.
They seem to be working towards finally getting their stuff together, but it's still a bit wonky.

The installer will take care of *most* situations for you, for instance plasma-wayland is installed.
When using nvidia prop drivers you also need egl-wayland which is why the installer sources that in for you.

One of the things the installer currently can't cope with tho, is to enable the DRM kernel mode setting or install another Display Manager for kde-wayland, it uses sddm.

icar wrote:

This is because the installer is half baked. It can't even search keyboard layouts correctly.

I fail to see how this is relevant to the thread and I would phrase it a bit different, but since you mention it I'll add to your statement and yes the installer did have a bug that has been fixed ~5 hours after being reported. And some other issues came up from thousands of people testing the software. But overall, seams to have been working for the intended target audience.

I would appreciate any feedback, preferably constructive ones.

SpacetimeBull wrote:

I would love to run KDE-wayland.

In this particular case, I think enabling DRM kernel modules might solve your problem @SpacetimeBull.

If not, this is most likely a nvidia issue and the forum/support staff/wiki should be able to help you out surrounding it given the following information:

Other than: base base-devel linux linux-firmware efibootmgr nano
The following have been installed with the profile you chose:
* nvidia
* xorg-server
* xorg-xinit
* plasma-meta
* kde-applications-meta
* plasma-wayland-session
* sddm

And `sddm.service` has been enabled.
Other than that, nothing has been configured specifically for this although we are looking in to ways of detecting the right criteria - and do some optional but require configuration for the selected optional profiles. (key word: optional, I don't to freak out anyone)

Having a look at this might also shed some light on this:
* https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/NVIDIA#Wayland

Last edited by Torxed (2021-04-12 08:41:49)

#6 2021-04-14 20:21:44

SpacetimeBull

enabling DRM did not fix the issue - this is most likely an NVIDIA issue.

Board footer