You are not logged in.

#1 2021-04-13 00:36:21

Stargateur

The discord server

I join the discord server of archlinux some time ago and... how to say....

Under construction `27/04/2020` https://discordservers.com/server/698276636356771901

I just get contacted by someone wanted help by direct message, I would be nice to at least have ONE channel open to talk publicly. I think discord is a great platform and I would enjoy have some emoji to claim by love of archlinux on other server.

I don't know who is responsible for this discord server, but it would be nice to see this server being useful.

I'm open to try to admin it that could be interesting to administrate a discord server.

(Hope I select the good subforum)

Last edited by Stargateur (2021-04-13 00:39:23)

#2 2021-04-13 00:44:02

GaKu999

Re: The discord server

Is the discord server official? Or is it like the r/archlinux?
AFAIK the ones that are official are the IRC channels.

My reposSome snippets

Heisenberg might have been here.

#3 2021-04-13 01:04:26

Stargateur

I have no idea... it's looked official enough tongue I think the current owner is someone named "Kitsune Solar". I just tried to contact her/him.

Last edited by Stargateur (2021-04-13 01:05:16)

#4 2021-04-13 10:39:25

ayekat

Neither the Arch Linux Subreddit nor the Discord server are official community channels in any way.
On r/archlinux, there's at least some Arch Linux team members involved (and it's at least listed here as unofficial); Discord on the other hand is entirely unrelated/disconnected.

If you want real-time communication with other people in the community, I'd recommend joining the IRC channel on Freenode instead (and if you prefer using Matrix, there's also a Matrix bridge for Freenode).

pkgshackscfgblag

#5 2021-04-13 20:14:04

eschwartz
Fellow

Stargateur wrote:

I just get contacted by someone wanted help by direct message, I would be nice to at least have ONE channel open to talk publicly. I think discord is a great platform and I would enjoy have some emoji to claim by love of archlinux on other server.

IMHO this proprietary software isn't a good fit for Arch Linux to use as an official support channel. The community is of course more than welcome to create fan groups of all types.

For the record, a quick google search for "discord archlinux" found two discord servers, and the one you linked to has 108 members -- the other one has 2543 members which sounds a bit more popular and maybe longer-lasting.

This is a bit of a problem when it comes to unofficial channels, in that there's no real consensus of which one to use... At least Reddit canonicalizes the name of a subreddit so multiple people cannot open the same one. Discord uses internal identifiers and anyone can name their server whatever they want, e.g. creating competing servers with the same name.

Last edited by eschwartz (2021-04-13 20:15:45)

Managing AUR repos The Right Way -- aurpublish (now a standalone tool)

#6 2021-04-13 20:18:36

progandy

eschwartz wrote:
Stargateur wrote:

IMHO this proprietary software isn't a good fit for Arch Linux to use as an official support channel. The community is of course more than welcome to create fan groups of all types.

The worst part of discord as an official support channel is its closed nature. There is no way to view the contents without a discord account. For now I have managed to avoid having to create one.

| alias CUTF='LANG=en_XX.UTF-8@POSIX ' |

#7 2021-04-13 20:56:13

Stargateur

ayekat wrote:

If you want real-time communication with other people in the community, I'd recommend joining the IRC channel on Freenode instead (and if you prefer using Matrix, there's also a Matrix bridge for Freenode).

Meh IRC does not fit my taste.

eschwartz wrote:

For the record, a quick google search for "discord archlinux" found two discord servers, and the one you linked to has 108 members -- the other one has 2543 members which sounds a bit more popular and maybe longer-lasting.

The owner of the other server answer to me "Hello. This is an unofficial server. The opening time is unknown. You can create your own server if you like. :thumbsup:"

Somehow I can't find the other one on https://discordservers.com/ but I find it with a reddit thread https://www.reddit.com/r/archlinux/comm … rd_server/. Well that one look nice for me.

progandy wrote:
eschwartz wrote:

The worst part of discord as an official support channel is its closed nature. There is no way to view the contents without a discord account. For now I have managed to avoid having to create one.

I have no strong feeling, is the service good ? yes that enough for me, I know that this could be a problem for private conversation but for public conversation I don't really care.

AFAIK, On IRC you don't have history and you also need an username that is some sort of account too. I don't see the problem to create an account to look the content cause that how discord api is build you need to "be invited" to be on server. But That could be nice that discord allow some way to see content on public service without an account.

#8 2021-04-13 21:04:37

eschwartz
Fellow

Stargateur wrote:

AFAIK, On IRC you don't have history and you also need an username that is some sort of account too. I don't see the problem to create an account to look the content cause that how discord api is build you need to "be invited" to be on server. But That could be nice that discord allow some way to see content on public service without an account.

IRC does not require a username. Unless you mean being automatically assigned "Guest12345" upon joining counts as "some sort of account"?

IRC is also an open protocol, so many channels are publicly logged because it's trivial to retrieve and parse messages seen, e.g. https://freenode.logbot.info/

#9 2021-04-13 23:10:53

Scimmia
Fellow

eschwartz wrote:
Stargateur wrote:

IRC does not require a username. Unless you mean being automatically assigned "Guest12345" upon joining counts as "some sort of account"?

#archlinux is +r, so you do have to be registered to use it.

#10 2021-04-13 23:46:08

eschwartz
Fellow

Scimmia wrote:

#archlinux is +r, so you do have to be registered to use it.

It forwards you to #archlinux-unregistered which has a bot that you can use to get an invite without registering an account.

Board footer