You are not logged in.

#1 2021-04-14 16:34:29

SaturnOfTheStars6728

Trouble using Floppy Drive

In my computer I have installed an old Sony 3.5 Floppy Drive because more often than not it comes in handy for me. It is connected via a IDE to USB converter. I recently started using Arch Linux so I could better archive my floppy disks, but have encountered a problem. Upon start up of the system, the drive makes consistent clicking noises every second like a metronome unless a floppy disk is inserted. But when trying to mount the floppy disk I am returned with a "can't read superblock" error. Formatting also doesn't work. Trying to use modprobe floppy results in the error "could not insert 'floppy'. No such device.". The floppy drive isn't broken because it still works on my Windows 10 partition. I also noticed that my floppy drive is being recognized as a SCSI device going by the name sda. Assistance would be much appreciated.

Last edited by SaturnOfTheStars6728 (2021-04-14 16:38:40)

#2 2021-04-14 19:13:28

seth

Re: Trouble using Floppy Drive

Does it also do that if you only attach the converter to the PC after the system has booted?

Either you flipped the FD plug (that's possible and will get you this behavior) or something™ is constantly accessing the drive (eg. some automounter) which is more reasonable if it doesn't show the behavior on windows.
Speaking of which, also see the 3rd link in my signature.

Board footer