You are not logged in.

#1 2021-04-15 15:55:53

laszlohehehe

PKGBUILD not working with some aur helpers

Hello all

I've run into a problem with one of my packages that I simply cannot figure out.

Some users of some aur helpers get errors complaining that the checksums are incorrect.

This happens for users of PAMAC and PARU but apparantly not YAY.

I use the md5sums field that I populate with `updpkgsums`. This normally works fine but all of a sudden I get this issue. I verified that the checksum is actually correct using `md5sum` locally and the file md5sum matches with the one in my PKGBUILD.

The package PKGBUILD is here: https://aur.archlinux.org/cgit/aur.git/ … -mkplugins

And this is the source it downloads and fails to check: https://github.com/madskjeldgaard/mkplu … -Linux.zip

I don't use PAMAC or PARU myself but am I missing something specific in my PKGBUILD that makes it fail on those systems?

I have completely run out of ideas to try with this.

Thanks for your help!

Best

#2 2021-04-15 16:31:22

Scimmia
Fellow

Re: PKGBUILD not working with some aur helpers

Most likely they still have a previous version of the source around, since you aren't renaming it to be unique.

#3 2021-04-15 16:35:20

laszlohehehe

Scimmia wrote:

Most likely they still have a previous version of the source around, since you aren't renaming it to be unique.

Thanks for the reply. Emptying caches almost always seems to work. Any pointers on how to avoid this / make the name unique? I though the relname was appended to the name, making it unique, but I may have been naive about that.

#4 2021-04-15 16:38:59

Scimmia
Fellow

#5 2021-04-15 16:50:41

laszlohehehe

Ah yes, thanks for the pointer. So what happens here is that the pkgbuild downloads a zip-file, but did not rename it with a new source name for the zip file, so any old version is unrecognizable from a new one just from the file name, so adding the source name in the url with package version and rel might help out. Thanks

#6 2021-04-15 20:15:20

eschwartz
Fellow

You should not include the pkgrel in there.

The upstream release is

releases/download/v0.2.0/MKPlugins-Linux.zip

This includes the "0.2.0" which is part of the github directory, but not the filename. So, the solution is to rename it to include "0.2.0" in the "downloaded" filename.

Instead, you included... "0.2.0-3" in the rename. So, every time you change the pkgrel, it will download another copy of the source code.

Also -- don't bump the pkgrel for this. The source code didn't change, the resulting package didn't change, all you did was fix one case where the package did not build at all.

Per https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/PKGBUILD#pkgrel

As fixes and additional features are added to the PKGBUILD that influence the resulting package, the pkgrel should be incremented by 1.

But.. the resulting package did not get influenced. So forcing everyone who did build it ok, to rebuild it again, seems pointless.

pkgrel is not "update this every time you edit the PKGBUILD file".

pkgrel is "update this whenever you do things such as change the dependencies, change the build/package functions, add/remove/edit an install script, or anything else that makes the resulting package different". It's a bit of a "use your judgment" situation.

Last edited by eschwartz (2021-04-15 20:18:05)

Managing AUR repos The Right Way -- aurpublish (now a standalone tool)

#7 2021-04-15 20:21:03

laszlohehehe

eschwartz wrote:

You should not include the pkgrel in there.

The upstream release is

releases/download/v0.2.0/MKPlugins-Linux.zip

This includes the "0.2.0" which is part of the github directory, but not the filename. So, the solution is to rename it to include "0.2.0" in the "downloaded" filename.

Instead, you included... "0.2.0-3" in the rename. So, every time you change the pkgrel, it will download another copy of the source code.

Also -- don't bump the pkgrel for this. The source code didn't change, the resulting package didn't change, all you did was fix one case where the package did not build at all.

Per https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/PKGBUILD#pkgrel

As fixes and additional features are added to the PKGBUILD that influence the resulting package, the pkgrel should be incremented by 1.

But.. the resulting package did not get influenced. So forcing everyone who did build it ok, to rebuild it again, seems pointless.

pkgrel is not "update this every time you edit the PKGBUILD file".

pkgrel is "update this whenever you do things such as change the dependencies, change the build/package functions, add/remove/edit an install script, or anything else that makes the resulting package different". It's a bit of a "use your judgment" situation.

Thanks for pointing out the stuff about pkgrel !

Board footer