You are not logged in.

#1 2021-04-14 15:34:55

rasat
Forum Fellow
Website

Fvwm Virtual Management

I am focusing on the Virtual Management of Fvwm. How this powerful feature can be made useful and efficient for the different users’ interests.

The new version Fvwm3 myExt v1.9 provides space and visibility and for all age groups. Key bindings speeding up the features, such as “alt-m” (window maximize 145 175) and “alt-t” (thumbnail). The mouse or key “alt-d” (Desk 2x2) makes your small or large screen resolution go beyond the actual size of the visible display. With a pager (miniature view of the desktop) managing the virtual windows with ease of mouse stroke. This is just the base, what more to add or improve?

There is one new video showing the VWM (7:32 min).
https://youtu.be/r3vUE88bQWU

Download myExt package v.1.9 (13.7Mb)
http://rasatpc.net/download/fvwm/ext/FV … t-v1.9.zip

Last edited by rasat (2022-04-17 14:09:41)

Markku

#2 2021-04-14 22:17:26

qinohe

Re: Fvwm Virtual Management

Hey rasat, like to say how beautiful I find your layout, it's artwork, kudos.
I'm an i3 user myself for many years and very much attached to my keyboard and the tilling of the WM, so much in fact it's hard to use Fvwm. The configuration is a 'dragon' compared to i3, probably even if you're used to it. Sure, it must have it's advantages but it's hard to use it on a daily basis, and nothing beats the speed of tilling and filling the work-spaces of course! But with my 'art-glasses' on Fvwm wins in every way. BTW. I have Fvwm3 installed and copied your zip file to my Fvwm dir, very nice;-) There are most likely lots of hours/days of work in it, thanks for that!

#3 2021-04-15 10:58:19

rasat
Forum Fellow
Website

qinohe wrote:

... attached to my keyboard and the tilling of the WM... configuration is a 'dragon' compared to i3. ....it's (fvwm) hard to use it on a daily basis, and nothing beats the speed of tilling and filling the work-spaces of course!

Thank you for your reply. That what I am was looking for. Before replying to the above comments, I installed i3.

I am concluding that it is NOT correct to "compare" i3 with Fvwm or vice-versa when the former is 100% key-oriented. They are of two different mindsets. Same as Word Perfect and Word. Does the same but operates differently.

i3 and Fvwm configuration, both use simple plain text. Both can easily configure how the daily basis will be and the workflow. Fvwm has more options. There is no difference between i3 and Fvwm's super-fast and low memory usage. Tiling is a user preference that Fvwm also does (this what I heard).

I didn't test the i3 work-space. I assume it is a page not a desk of many pages. With a desk, Fvwm allows the user to go beyond the visual screen edge, where the virtual management takes place. Or, does i3 do the same?

I will check the tiling and then going to create titling and tabbing config for Fvwm.

EDIT:
A tiling window manager configuration for fvwm (2011)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xdSgf-IykIo

Last edited by rasat (2021-04-15 12:23:48)

Markku

#4 2021-04-15 13:41:25

qinohe

Well, i3 is empty basically - a 'framework', it has workspaces which are filled with containers - 'application windows'.
Fvwm has a 'desktop' already with buttons  bars etc.

The i3-config is one text document, mine is ± 500 lines + scripts, dmenu scripts and py3status.
The Fvwm seem a lot more config files.

i3 on it's own has no use for a mouse.
Fvwm is mouse orientated + keyboard.

I do agree with you, I shouldn't compare i3 to Fvwm, but it's hard not to since that is the way I interact with my machine/s.
However, I tried apps like Gimp and sweet3d, they are better of on Fvwm with the virtual desks to separate tools and workspace, I simply need to learn to work with it.
Some tools like sweet3d even work better on Fvwm and give a smoother workflow.

-----

I just saw you edit, You can almost scratch to the above text, that's amazing! I will definitely investigate if it's good for me to switch 'full time'
It's nice to have a pretty 'desktop' sometimes - if I like to show someone something, but it's even nicer to switch to a quick keyboard orientated tilling work environment, this could really be the best of both worlds!
Again, thanks for your efforts, appreciated;-)

edit: May I ask where I can find more icons for the 'QUICK Menu', like the globe?
If there are no more I can find some other theme, but they are quite nice and simple, like it.

Last edited by qinohe (2021-04-15 14:55:08)

#5 2021-04-15 21:00:09

rasat
Forum Fellow
Website

qinohe wrote:

.... where I can find more icons for the 'QUICK Menu', like the globe?

Those icons (18x18) come with the default Fvwm3. Download myExt package and check folder .fvwm/images/icons/

I hear that FvwmTabs is no longer maintain. About tiling, please read this topic, an alternative is FvwmPiazza. It's an old topic (2011).
https://fvwmforums.org/t/best-of-both-w … ation/2092

Markku

#6 2021-04-15 22:11:48

qinohe

rasat wrote:

Those icons (18x18) come with the default Fvwm3. Download myExt package and check folder .fvwm/images/icons/

Yes, I already worked trough your zip file that's why I asked for more icons, but aren't any more, yet. I suppose I'll find a nice icon theme that'll do the job, thanks.

I hear that FvwmTabs is no longer maintain. About tiling, please read this topic, an alternative is FvwmPiazza. It's an old topic (2011).
https://fvwmforums.org/t/best-of-both-w … ation/2092

Well, I looked around a little and the dev thomasadam advises to use  urob's fvwm-tiling because FvwmPiazza is unmaintained (2020)
https://fvwmforums.org/t/fvwm3-tiling-patch/3030/4
I'll keep i3 around for the time being and start experimenting with some configs seems like the best thing to do ATM.
Tabs like FvwmTabs(which is old -2006) is also a nice feature of i3 that I use a lot.

#7 2021-04-17 12:13:27

rasat
Forum Fellow
Website

qinohe wrote:

Tabs like FvwmTabs(which is old -2006) is also a nice feature of i3 that I use a lot.

Great. I will have to check if it can be done with FvwmButtons.

Did a test with Robert's tiling config. It works well in DesktopSize 2x1... one page does tiling and the other one is normal wm. A nice combination.
https://github.com/urob/fvwm-tiling

It is a full config on its own, which requires extracting the tiling part.

Last edited by rasat (2021-04-17 12:14:48)

Markku

Board footer