You are not logged in.

#1 2021-04-18 09:53:56

hwittenborn

Question with sources for archive website

Sorry for the lackluster title, my original one appeared to be cutting me off after so many characters.

Anyway, I'm trying to grab a copy of pacman from the archive website for some scripting I'm trying to do, but I'm needing it to function without the signature file, as some systems that the script will run on won't have access to Arch's PGP signatures.

The thing I'm trying to get at is if the archive website is ever served from mirrors, or just anything outside the control of the Arch Linux team that would *require* verifying that the files I downloaded haven't been tampered with.

makedeb: create Debian archives from PKGBUILDs

#2 2021-04-18 16:41:14

eschwartz
Fellow

Re: Question with sources for archive website

It might. If the file is not available directly, it will 302 redirect to archive.org (the Internet Archive)

Managing AUR repos The Right Way -- aurpublish (now a standalone tool)

#3 2021-04-18 18:14:00

hwittenborn

So if it is available directly from the website(and not 302'ed to archive.org), will packages ever be served from a mirror? Or will they always serve from a single server(or rather, again, only from servers within the Arch Linux team's control)?

Last edited by hwittenborn (2021-04-18 18:18:06)

#4 2021-04-18 18:23:32

eschwartz
Fellow

Yes, if the server replies that the file is hosted on the archive.archlinux.org domain (not HTTP redirecting to another server) then it won't ever be resolving that to a server outside of our control.

#5 2021-04-18 18:25:02

eschwartz
Fellow

As a matter of curiosity, what are you trying to do? The binary package is mostly only usable from an Arch system (and only the latest version is ever immediately useful), did you want the source code instead?

#6 2021-04-18 18:40:28

hwittenborn

That's what I was looking for - just wasn't sure if there was a proxy or something that might've brought stuff to different servers or something.

Regarding your second comment, I'm trying to make a package that just contains makepkg without any of the pacman stuff for a project I'm working on(if it helps explain at all you can find it here, actual makepkg stuff here.)
I don't necessarily need the source code, I've actually tried it and failed at doing so(on Debian, as is needed per the purpose of the project), and if the binary stuff works(and I can verify it's from a trusted source and all), I'm content with just using that.

#7 2021-04-18 18:49:43

eschwartz
Fellow

Very interesting! So it tricks the system into thinking pacman exists, then uses this to skip dependency checks... so it can run makepkg to compile a package, and then convert the result into a .deb?

FWIW, pacman should build fine on Debian, but sadly there are no prebuilt packages for it. You might need to use buster due to dependencies.

#8 2021-04-18 19:21:12

hwittenborn

That's pretty much how it works - like you said, it just skips the dependency checks by making a placeholder pacman executable, and then in makedeb(the first link), there's dedicated functions that deal with installing and managing dependencies for build(), check(), and whatever else I might be forgetting atm.
Outside of that, again, like you said, it just compiles a pacman archive(outside of anything that requires pacman itself), and then converts that package to a layout that dpkg understands to build a .deb file.

I wouldn't doubt that it's just a dependency issue, it's something I'll have to look into more when I can get the time - the binaries will work for now though, I just needed to provide the sources for everything the project uses(so users know what the crud I'm doing and everything).

Board footer