You are not logged in.

#1 2021-04-24 22:58:36

tralph3

[SOLVED] Some games not working, used to play on Manjaro

So, title. I was a Manjaro user previous to Arch, and there's some games that I could play there no problem that just won't launch here. I want to make that clear to rule out hardware or compatibility issues, this is entirely a software issue. I've read the relevant entries on the Arch Wiki about my GPU and CPU, and I don't seem to be missing anything, but please, do state the obvious even if it's redundant just to rule everything out, I'm new to "arch proper" after all.

The games in specific I tried to run are Human: Fall Flat and Dirt 3, both of these were perfectly playable on Manjaro, and they just won't work on Arch. Dirt 3 shows a tiny black box, and then shuts down, and Human: Fall Flat just does nothing, it exits. I've tried different Proton versions, new and old ones, including the ones I used to run these games previously, and nothing. I've reinstalled the relevant packages for my GPU, nothing. I checked the logs and couldn't figure out what's causing the issue. I also tried other Kernels, nothing. So, here's a quick summary of my PCs specs:

CPU: Intel i5 3320m
GPU: Intel HD 4000
RAM: 8GB DDR3

Yes, I'm aware of the incomplete vulkan support on the GPU, that's why I want to make clear, I've played these games before on this same hardware, it's not a compatibility issue. Here is a more complete breakdown of my system info. And also, here are the logs for Dirt 3 and Human: Fall Flat.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by tralph3 (2021-05-08 21:38:32)

#2 2021-04-25 11:24:40

V1del
Forum Moderator

Re: [SOLVED] Some games not working, used to play on Manjaro

Welcome to the boards

Both of these read like issues initializing relevant graphics libs, make sure lib32-mesa, lib32-libglvnd and lib32-vulkan-intel are installed, and maybe throw in the output of

glxinfo32 -B #From lib32-mesa-demos

to check whether there's a general issue or whether this is steam/wine/proton specific. You might also want to compare mesa versions between what you had on Manjaro and Arch. Manjaro doesn't do anything that would inherently provide better compatibility in comparison to Arch, but they do lag behind with updates for at least two weeks and I've heard of a few reports regarding wine regressions in combination with mesa 21 which is what you might be running into.

#3 2021-04-25 20:22:30

tralph3

V1del wrote:

Welcome to the boards

Thank you!

Here is the output of the command. The packages you listed were already installed, sadly.

#4 2021-04-26 10:46:04

Lone_Wolf

You forgot to add the -B option , but apart from the low OpenGL version (max 4.2) things look ok.

Proton: 1603141982 proton-5.0-10b

Looks like that was released in november 2020[1] , have you tried with later versions ?

[1] https://github.com/ValveSoftware/Proton … on-5.0-10b

Last edited by Lone_Wolf (2021-04-26 10:47:55)

Disliking systemd intensely, but not satisfied with alternatives so focusing on taming systemd.

(A works at time B)  && (time C > time B ) ≠  (A works at time C)

#5 2021-04-26 20:17:11

tralph3

I just tried with Proton 6.3 and Experimental. Same with both. The reason I stick to 5.0 is that 5.13 was causing that games to not start with an error saying "You GPU doesn't support DirectX 11", which it does. Using Proton 5.0 fixed that issue, and I just stick to 5.0 since it seems to be the one with the best compatibility overall (for me). In case you need the command's output with the -B flag, here it is, but I think it's just the same thing, just shortened. So you can see why I'm puzzled about this, worked before, doesn't work now. Same hardware, (almost) same software, nothing seems to be missing, and it wasn't even that long, just a couple of days ago I was playing no problem. Maybe downgrading mesa? I can't check what versions I had on Manjaro, that installation is gone.

#6 2021-04-26 21:24:54

V1del
Forum Moderator

Does vulkan work, what output do you get from vulkaninfo from the vulkan-tools package.

#7 2021-04-26 23:27:25

tralph3

Yes, vulkan works. I didn't mention that I can play other games with Proton. The Binding of Isaac Rebirth works no problem (yes, I'm running it with Proton because Repentance ain't on Linux, sigh), Enter the Gungeon works, FlatOut 2 works, and to completely make sure Vulkan does indeed work, I can launch and play on RetroArch with the Vulkan video driver, something I couldn't do before installing it, it just crashes without it.

#8 2021-04-27 11:15:39

Lone_Wolf

You mentioned trying several kernels, was linux-lts 5.4[1] among them ?
If not, try that one please.

Assuming those games don't use vulkan, try running like this :

MESA_LOADER_DRIVER_OVERRIDE=i965 some-game

Does that make a difference ?

[1] https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/linux-lts54

Disliking systemd intensely, but not satisfied with alternatives so focusing on taming systemd.

#9 2021-04-28 18:38:10

tralph3

Hi, I didn't try the 5.4 kernel, but I was playing with 5.10 on Manjaro. I did try 5.10 (version on the linux-lts package) and it didn't work. I tried with the command you provided, but nothing. And about 5.4... well, I basically broke my system trying to install it lol. With the linux-lts package there was no issue, because it's a separate package, so just install, update grub and reboot, done. But for 5.4, I didn't find a 5.4 package (other than aur, but I needed to compile that so no) so I downgraded my current linux package to 5.4. After rebooting, I was getting kernel panics. So I spent about an hour and a half trying to fix that, but I'm up and running on latest kernel again.

So, if I were to try kernel 5.4 I would need some guidance on where to get it, because I didn't find info on that.

#10 2021-05-02 13:08:59

Lone_Wolf

The reason I asked to try 5.4 was that there were several issues with intel graphics in 5.5 and later.
Some of those were solved in 5.10 but not all.

Since you were using 5.10 on manjaro successfully you probably have different issues.

The logs you posted for dirt3 & Human: Fall Flat appear to be created with debug / trace options .
Unfortunately they show so much info It's hard to determine what is relevant .
Atm I'm not even certain if you have one issue that affects both games or if you each has game has it's own separate issue.

What command do you use to run them and could you post logs without those extra options ?

#11 2021-05-03 00:50:19

tralph3

I used PROTON_LOG=1 to get those logs. Here are the logs that Steam outputs to the terminal for Dirt 3 and Human: Fall Flat. To get these, I just launched Steam from the terminal and launched the games, waited till they exited and then closed Steam. Both games were run without any kind of launch options.

#12 2021-05-03 13:28:56

Lone_Wolf

(steam:95411): Gtk-WARNING **: 21:47:16.714: Unable to locate theme engine in module_path: "adwaita",
/home/tralph3/.themes/Nordic-darker/gtk-2.0/main.rc:729: error: unexpected identifier 'direction', expected character '}'
/home/tralph3/.themes/Nordic-darker/gtk-2.0/apps/chrome.rc:50: error: invalid string constant "button", expected valid string constant
/home/tralph3/.themes/Nordic-darker/gtk-2.0/apps/xfce.rc:78: error: invalid string constant "entry", expected valid string constant

Both have problems with a gtk2 theme you installed locally, Nordic-darker .

Is ~/.gtkrc-2.0 present ?
If yes, move or delete it. Also consider removing the Nordic-darker theme completely for testing.

Firmware Build Time: 2147483647 (Tue, 19 Jan 2038 03:14:07 GMT)
  Bootloader Build Time: 2147483647 (Tue, 19 Jan 2038 03:14:07 GMT)

Those build times are wrong, I have some vague memory this has to do with 64-bit timestamps being interpreted as 32-bit timestamps .
It was caused on filesystem level I think.

stat shows timestamps, maybe a command could be crafted to check for incorrect timestamps on system-root / or /home .
Hopefully other arch users can help with that.

#13 2021-05-03 20:22:00

tralph3

Yes, that file was present, I renamed it but that didn't do anything. Then I removed all traces of Nordic from my system and rebooted, games still don't launch. I noticed the gtk file got created again, so I renamed it again and it was still the same. So, no change at all. Here are the logs once again with the file moved and the theme uninstalled, Dirt 3 and Human: Fall Flat.

I have absolutely no clue on what's going on, this should work.

#14 2021-05-05 16:15:57

tralph3

Hey, I looked at my past reports on ProtonDB. Sadly Human: Fall Flat doesn't show more information than just "it works", but Dirt 3 does tell me which GPU Driver I was using. It was 3.0 Mesa 20.1.7, and now I'm using 3.0 Mesa 21.0.3. Has there been some change in between that may cause this to fail?

Note that the report has some months. The driver has surely updated in that time, and it was only when I changed to Arch that it stopped working.

Last edited by tralph3 (2021-05-05 16:16:37)

#15 2021-05-06 10:13:40

Lone_Wolf

that's 3 versions back (20.1 - 20.2 - 20.3 - 21.0 ) and thousands of commits .

arch linux archive[1] shows mesa 20.1.7-1 was present on 3 september 2020.
Mesa relies on llvm and there also was an upgrade of llvm to 11.1.0 after that, so I don't think downgrading just mesa will work.

Rebuilding that mesa version against current state is possible, another approach is to revert your system to that date which is (relatively) easier .

Check https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Arch_L … cific_date

[1] https://archive.archlinux.org/packages/m/mesa/

Last edited by Lone_Wolf (2021-05-06 10:14:42)

#16 2021-05-06 12:45:15

tralph3

That doesn't seem like a good solution. I wouldn't like to mess with my system that much. Also, yes, the mesa version is old, but the ProtonDB report is too. I was using a newer version on my last days on Manjaro for sure.

#17 2021-05-07 12:33:17

Lone_Wolf

Understood, there's a chance the problem is with user settings .

I suggest you create a new user for testing and freshly install steam + just one of the troublesome games under that user.

#18 2021-05-07 14:25:30

tralph3

Oh... That's something I didn't mention, I actually forgot. Dirt 3 is in a separate drive which I didn't touch during the OS installation (ext4 filesystem, same as my root partition). I installed Dirt 3 onto that drive while using Manjaro and then I'm accessing that same installation from Arch. I think however, that I did install Human: Fall Flat on Arch onto my main drive, but I'm not home to check that currently. I could try to reinstall Dirt 3.

I will make a new user and see if it works, although installing Steam and trying to play was one of the first things I did after installing Arch anyway.

#19 2021-05-08 21:37:53

tralph3

Well F me. Apparently reinstalling the games made them work, both of them. They do seem to have some graphical glitches tho. Dirt 3 has some weird black horizontal lines that flash from time to time, and Human: Fall Flat had the character in the main menu all distorted. Restarting the latter seemed to fix it, but Dirt 3 still has the black thingy.

I also launched Wolfenstein the New Order, which I also had installed in that other drive and it worked fine. Only thing is the resoltuion was kinda messed up, and the intro videos came back. I was using a mod to use a low widescreen resoltuion to get good performance, and I had removed the intro videos but they are there again for some reason. Anyways, things seem to work kinda as expected now. Thanks.

Board footer