You are not logged in.

#1 2021-04-25 13:58:33

apastuszak
Website

Firefox icon not showing in Gnome 40

I have Firefox 88 installed via Pacman. And I can run it fine from the bash prompt, and from the applications menu I enabled. But when I hit the Super key to bring up dash, it's nowhere in the icon grid and if I search for it, the only result that comes up is to install Gnome from Software Center, which is a Flatpack.

If I launch the app I do see in in the dock on the bottom, but when I right-click on it, I don't have the option to add it as a favorite.

I have reinstalled Firefox via Pacman and rebooted several times. Nothing helped.

Anyone have any ideas on how to get it back.

#2 2021-04-29 09:39:22

j-james
Website

Re: Firefox icon not showing in Gnome 40

Hey apastuszak, that sounds like you have a local configuration file accidentally hiding it. Can you check that there isn't a `firefox.desktop` file in `~/.local/share/applications`? (If so, remove it, reboot, and see if Firefox is still messed up).

#3 2021-04-30 01:53:27

apastuszak
Website

I went the extreme route.  I've been using Gnome for a LONG time.  So, I created a new account, and logged in with that account and set everything back up.  The Firefox icon is back, and Gnome is easily twice as fast as it used to be.

I'm sure I could have combed through a ton of log files to try to figure out what was funky in my profile, but I just didn't have the patience. I was able to copy my files over, resync Nextcloud files and get emails and Firefox bookmarks over in less than 15 minutes.

#4 2021-05-01 03:40:04

j-james
Website

Glad to hear you got it working!

Board footer