You are not logged in.

#1 2021-05-02 15:50:58

7ze_nixer

What is the recommended way to install rust on Arch?

I was reading Arch wiki's Rust Installation and I was wondering what is the recommended way to install Rust on Arch Linux?

Rust package vs default rust recommended way of rustup

#2 2021-05-02 17:11:50

tucuxi

Re: What is the recommended way to install rust on Arch?

Read on. The third paragraph answers your question. It's rustup.

Last edited by tucuxi (2021-05-02 17:11:59)

#3 2021-05-02 17:16:27

7ze_nixer

tucuxi wrote:

So just do it the way mentioned in the rust wiki?

#4 2021-05-02 17:30:05

eschwartz
Fellow

tucuxi wrote:

"The third paragraph" doesn't give an Arch Linux value judgment, it merely informs you that the rust developers recommend rustup.

7ze_nixer wrote:

I was reading Arch wiki's Rust Installation and I was wondering what is the recommended way to install Rust on Arch Linux?

Do you need versions of rust other than the latest stable release?

Managing AUR repos The Right Way -- aurpublish (now a standalone tool)

#5 2021-05-05 09:07:29

7ze_nixer

eschwartz wrote:
tucuxi wrote:

"The third paragraph" doesn't give an Arch Linux value judgment, it merely informs you that the rust developers recommend rustup.

7ze_nixer wrote:

Do you need versions of rust other than the latest stable release?

I don't think so, I  just started learning rust now.

I think installing the rustup package from arch might be the best way to install rust, considering that you don't have to manually add cargo PATH to your environment variables, if I am not mistaken.

#6 2021-05-05 11:28:14

eschwartz
Fellow

7ze_nixer wrote:

Then, you can just use the latest stable version of rust, by installing rust. You do not need rustup, a multiple-version-manager for rust whose only purpose is to let you easily use... multiple non-default versions of rust (including the nightly experimental builds).

7ze_nixer wrote:

I think installing the rustup package from arch might be the best way to install rust, considering that you don't have to manually add cargo PATH to your environment variables, if I am not mistaken.

... no, you don't need to add cargo PATH to your environment variables if you use pacman packages at all, because both "rust" and "rustup" packages on Arch, install to /usr/bin.

The rustup upstream installer installs to $HOME and thus needs tweaks to PATH. Just like any other program that installs to $HOME.

Managing AUR repos The Right Way -- aurpublish (now a standalone tool)

#7 2021-05-06 05:18:35

7ze_nixer

eschwartz wrote:
7ze_nixer wrote:

Then, you can just use the latest stable version of rust, by installing rust. You do not need rustup, a multiple-version-manager for rust whose only purpose is to let you easily use... multiple non-default versions of rust (including the nightly experimental builds).

7ze_nixer wrote:

... no, you don't need to add cargo PATH to your environment variables if you use pacman packages at all, because both "rust" and "rustup" packages on Arch, install to /usr/bin.

The rustup upstream installer installs to $HOME and thus needs tweaks to PATH. Just like any other program that installs to $HOME.

Thank you so much, for clearing it up. This makes a lot of sense.

Board footer