You are not logged in.

#1 2006-09-28 19:35:36

sud_crow
Website

AUR and pkg descriptions Internationalization

I was thinking, as i saw that the AUR has several languages for the interface, It would be great (and i mean, real great!), if we could translate the pkg descriptions too. Those in the AUR and those in pacman, both of them.

I don't know a single distribution doing this, and i have been asked so many times ("can i see the packages descriptions on <insert>"?) about it by fellows who would like to have the full OS in their own language, search and install packages without asking people what app does what.

I'm quite sure it would be one of the greatest assets of Arch, if internationalization and localization are of any concern to the roadmap, this should be at least considered a bit.

I dont really know what would take to do something like this, I guess the whole package manager structure should be prepared, as you use the description fields for the web database, the local databse and ofcourse, the pkgbuilds.

Is this possible at all?

Regards.

Leonardo Andrés Gallego
www.archlinux-es.org || Comunidad Hispana de Arch Linux

#2 2006-09-28 20:05:51

phrakture
Arch Overlord
Website

Re: AUR and pkg descriptions Internationalization

It's definately a good idea.  I'm not sure how it would be implemented - with new packages hourly, who is going to keep up on the translation - and who is going to make sure the translations aren't like Czech for "your mother is fat"?

#3 2006-09-28 21:37:00

sud_crow
Website

phrakture wrote:

It's definitely a good idea.  I'm not sure how it would be implemented - with new packages hourly, who is going to keep up on the translation - and who is going to make sure the translations aren't like Czech for "your mother is fat"?

Well, there are several international communities, which i don't think would take this lightly, and would be quite responsible about it, i guess this should be some kind of "extension" to the Trusted Users concept to work out...

Remember that although we have the option to change the language in most of the applications, we have no way of searching for those apps in our own language, so there is a strong motivation to keep it up to date... although maybe not right away, we would organize to translate it.

Leonardo Andrés Gallego
www.archlinux-es.org || Comunidad Hispana de Arch Linux

#4 2006-09-28 21:56:00

Romashka
Forum Fellow

I think this will not work for now. Only one or two non-English-speaking communities can translate more than a half of all packages in official repos or AUR. Other languages will be represented only in some small percent of packages.

IMHO it would be better to add i18n to Pacman first (already done in Pacman 3, at least in Frugalware's tree), then - to installer, then - to all packages in Current (as they all are placed on Install CD). And only then try to extend localized package descriptions project to all other repos, Unsupported and Unstable should be the last in the list.

to live is to die

Board footer