You are not logged in.

#1 2021-05-11 19:01:07

madness

where can i get help adding -fPIC to fortran parts of ATLAS?

Where can I get help compiling ATLAS so that the fortran parts are built with -fPIC?
I have been following the rules in the AUR for building ATLAS, and even if I try
CFLAG="-fPIC"
FFLAGS="-fPIC"
alias gfortran="gfortran -fPIC"
the lapack libraries are ALWAYS built without it.

This is the last time I am going to try before I give up completely on ever building sage.
Thank you.

#2 2021-05-11 19:10:05

loqs

Re: where can i get help adding -fPIC to fortran parts of ATLAS?

Is https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/atlas-lapack/ the package you are trying to build?  Is this an X-Y problem?  Why do the fortran parts require -fPIC?

#3 2021-05-11 19:48:28

madness

That is the package.
The fortran parts require -fPIC so that the shared library can be linked. The linking is done with the makefile inside of https://aur.archlinux.org/cgit/aur.git/ … ack.tar.gz

#4 2021-05-12 10:54:15

fistrosan

Not an expert in aur packages but I have compiled LAPACK from source many times myself. I think that if you look at the PKGBUILD inside the aur package you will see that is calling the configure. You can try to set there CFLAGS o FFLAGS =''-fPIC". You can also try adding -fPIC to the F77FLAGS defined later in the PKGBUILD.

To check whether this is a possibility I have downloaded the actual source code for ATLAS-LAPACK and looked there. It is a bit weird because only BLAS routines are in F77. All Lapack routines are in C (as if i was CLAPACK). The configure lets you set CFLAGS, but no FFLAGS. So I am guessing you best bet is to set F77FLAGS="-fPIC" in the PKGBUILD

#5 2021-05-12 10:59:38

WorMzy
Forum Moderator
Website

Mod note: Moving to AUR Issues.

Sakura:-
Mobo: MSI MAG X570S TORPEDO MAX // Processor: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X @4.9GHz // GFX: AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT // RAM: 32GB (4x 8GB) Corsair DDR4 (@ 3000MHz) // Storage: 1x 3TB HDD, 6x 1TB SSD, 2x 120GB SSD, 1x 275GB M2 SSD

Making lemonade from lemons since 2015.

#6 2021-05-12 11:24:55

Lone_Wolf

madness wrote:

This is the last time I am going to try before I give up completely on ever building sage.

loqs wrote:

Is https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/atlas-lapack/ the package you are trying to build?  Is this an X-Y problem?  Why do the fortran parts require -fPIC?

The fortran parts require -fPIC so that the shared library can be linked

That answer makes me wonder which program requires -fPIC support to link with the shared library .

There's no sage package in aur, but there are three sagecal packages that list atlas-lapack as a possible make dependency .
Are you trying to build one of those sagecal packages ?

Disliking systemd intensely, but not satisfied with alternatives so focusing on taming systemd.

(A works at time B)  && (time C > time B ) ≠  (A works at time C)

#7 2021-05-19 18:28:26

madness

My intention is to ultimately build sage, yes.

I tried FFLAGS etc., but the libraries do no link, with the error that they need to be recompiled with -fPIC.
I even tried alias gfortran="gfortran -fPIC", but it too failed.

#8 2021-05-20 09:58:40

Lone_Wolf

madness wrote:

but the libraries do no link, with the error that they need to be recompiled with -fPIC.

I wanted to build atlas-lapack to check possibillities , but stopped when it (the sourcecode, not the PKGBUILD ) refused to build unless I change to a specfic governor.

If you want further help, you'll have to provide full build logs of atlas-lapack and the sage* package you want to build.
Without those logs no one can verify whether there are other options then trying to force -fPIC .

Disliking systemd intensely, but not satisfied with alternatives so focusing on taming systemd.

(A works at time B)  && (time C > time B ) ≠  (A works at time C)

Board footer