You are not logged in.

#1 2021-05-21 00:44:13

bouldersky

[SOLVED] SDDM hanging before showing any GUI on a new install

Hello,

I just installed arch on a new machine and am trying to get a display manager going. I installed xorg, the proprietary nvidia drivers (i'm on an nvidia GPU), and then SDDM. I also enabled the sddm service. When I boot, the last logs i see printed to the screen before it hangs are:

Starting version 248.3-1-arch
/dev/nvme1n1p3: clean, ... files, ... blocks

and then nothing. the system just hangs forever. I am able to switch to another session and sign in though, and as far as I can tell SDDM seems happy. systemctl is reporting it as being active (running). All that the logs from sddm say are:

Started Simple Desktop Display Manager.
Initializing...
Starting...
Logind interface found

and that's it. restarting sddm doesn't seem to do much. I get a log saying SDDM stopped, and then those same logs again that seem to report that it's happy. Switching back to the original session doesn't show any new output.

Thanks in advance for any advice smile

Last edited by bouldersky (2021-05-21 02:20:44)

#2 2021-05-21 02:20:24

bouldersky

Re: [SOLVED] SDDM hanging before showing any GUI on a new install

Welp I figured it out. In case anyone else runs into this: I installed the opengl-nvidia package at the same time as the nvidia drivers, and for some reason that was apparently causing issues. I uninstalled it and now things are working as expected.

#3 2021-06-11 13:42:33

ndewy

Re: [SOLVED] SDDM hanging before showing any GUI on a new install

bouldersky wrote:

Welp I figured it out. In case anyone else runs into this: I installed the opengl-nvidia package at the same time as the nvidia drivers, and for some reason that was apparently causing issues. I uninstalled it and now things are working as expected.

What package do you mean by opengl-nvidia?
I am having the same issue, but cannot find reference to opengl-nvidia anywhere on the package manager website nor on my system....

EDIT: I did a bit of package hunting and found out that I had the Bumblebee driver installed for no reason (as well as the nvidia drivers). Removing this worked.

Last edited by ndewy (2021-06-11 13:50:29)

Board footer