You are not logged in.

#1 2021-05-29 15:32:52

felixthecat

[SOLVED ]Speakers have noise when connected to any Linux Computer

Hello,

The Problem:
- Static Noise when playing any kind of sound (system sounds, notifications, music...)
- Issue is only present on our Linux Computers, other devices work well with the speakers
- The Sound Card seems to not matter, I tried three different ones, two different internal ones in our two pcs, and a little USB-C sound dongle
- Present with PipeWire and Pulseaudio; reproduces in Fedora 34 and other Distros
- Headphones work perfectly fine on our Linux PCs

What I tried:
- Related steps from the Pulseaudio Troubleshooting Page, like changing scheduling or suspend settings, fixing volumes and others
- Using different sound cards
- The issue is present across multiple computers

I am not sure how to proceed with this problem, as I am not well versed enough in Linux Audio to fully diagnose it myself.
Maybe there is somebody here who has an idea for me.

Thanks in Advance,
felixthecat

Edit: I updated the Post when I realized the issue was not isolated to my sound card.

Last edited by felixthecat (2021-06-04 14:41:56)

#2 2021-06-04 13:20:26

V1del
Forum Moderator

Re: [SOLVED ]Speakers have noise when connected to any Linux Computer

Try disabling power saving in the intel module with a /etc/modprobe.d/disablePower.conf

options snd_hda_intel power_save=0

and rebooting.

If that doesn't help pick one of the systems and post

aplay -l
pacmd list-sinks
pacmd list-sink-inputs

during issue reproduction.

also try to identify what "other, working" systems are doing. a good candidate are different sample rate defaults, i.e. if Windows or whatever defaults to 48 khZ but pulse/linux to 44kHz you'd have to adjust configuration relevantly.

Also is any of these systems where you reproduce this an Arch Linux system? If not, you'd have to ask on the boards of whatever distribution you are using.

#3 2021-06-04 14:41:23

felixthecat

Re: [SOLVED ]Speakers have noise when connected to any Linux Computer

V1del wrote:

Also is any of these systems where you reproduce this an Arch Linux system? If not, you'd have to ask on the boards of whatever distribution you are using.

Thanks for your reply fist of all!
My machine is running Arch and my wife's PC Fedora 34, I was just bringing that up to clarify the issue doesn't seem to be isolated to my machine.

Earlier today I had some time to investigate further, and I was able to figure out that the noise is actually made up of two different frequencies.
It turns out that the lower-frequency part was ground noise from my network switch, whose power supply seems to be slowly giving up.
The higher frequency part persists (on both devices) even when other grounded devices are all turned off and is also not at 60Hz.

But here is the big catch:
I originally assumed that du two the issue's presence on both PCs and not on my laptop with a non-linux operating system or during Boot / in bios, it was isolated to the Linux Kernel or PulseAudio.
After I had figured out the Ground Noise part today though, I realised that the ground noise wasn't audible during boot either and that my Laptop reproduces the issue if I ground it manually.

All of this lets me conclude that I misjudged the issue's reason in laying with the Kernel or Drivers, and it seems to be a hardware issue with our wiring or interference from neighbours devices (I don't think this apartment building has separate grounding for every unit).

I will mark this thread as solved and will search out help in a forum related to audio.

Board footer