You are not logged in.

#1 2021-06-04 16:06:19

IrvineHimself

[Solved] Blender 2.93 Eevee woes

Since I am fairly sure this is an upstream bug, I am not absolutely certain this is the correct place to post this. However, I would like to know if anybody else is having this problem.

Arch, updated to Blender 2.93 a few days ago. Unfortunately, There appears to be a couple of, (probably related,) problems with Eevee and Viewport rendering.

Firstly, Lighting and shadows are seriously off: Previously, with 2.92, I could get roughly comparable results using the same lighting setup for fast Eevee test renders and the finished Cycles render. With the current release, this is not even remotely possible.

Secondly, in the Eevee render, the ‘RMB → shade-smooth’ operator is not being applied. Neither is it being applied in the ‘viewport → materials’ view, although it is being applied in the ‘viewport → solid’ view.

There is a bug report, FS#71110, about Blender 2.93 needing ‘opencolorio 2.0’ for colour management, but I checked this is not the source of the problem by downloading the self-contained ‘tar.xy’ file and installing it to /usr/local/bin. This fixed the reported bug, but did nothing for my problem.

Finally, I checked it was not a ‘Wayland’ problem by logging into an ‘X-Org’ session and doing a few test renders with Nvidia-Prime.

My relevant hardware is as follows
    • Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6500U CPU @ 2.50GHz
    • Intel Corporation Skylake GT2
    • NVIDIA Corporation GM108M [GeForce 930M]

As it stands, I do not know enough about Blender to even begin tracking down the source of the problem or even gathering enough information to open a formal bug report. But, if anybody else has come across this problem, or, even better, has a solution, I would be delighted to hear from them.

Irvine

Last edited by IrvineHimself (2021-06-09 06:00:41)

Et voilà, elle arrive. La pièce, le sous, peut-être qu'il arrive avec vous!

#2 2021-06-06 06:41:37

IrvineHimself

Re: [Solved] Blender 2.93 Eevee woes

In case anyone is interested, I just posted a an upstream bug report with renders demonstrating the problem.

Irvine

#3 2021-06-09 06:00:10

IrvineHimself

Re: [Solved] Blender 2.93 Eevee woes

With some advice from the developers blog, by playing about with ‘material settings’ I  was able to resolve all my problems with ‘shade-smooth’. I am still having a few minor problems with rendering artefacts in Eevee, but I am fairly certain this is also my fault.

Irvine

Board footer