You are not logged in.

#1 2021-06-07 04:40:02

feinedsquirrel

Request to verify my first PKGBUILD before submission to AUR

I've just finished creating my first PKGBUILD, along with a few supporting files (a patch, .install file, and systemd unit). I am wondering if anyone has any input if I've done something wrong, or if I've made a bad selection/choice with something.

I tried to run make "makerepropkg" on the pkg file, but it fails since there is a dependency from the aur? Is there a way to point to a built version on my local machine, like the -I option for "makechrootpkg".

Anyway, any input is appreciated. The current state is on github:

https://github.com/feinedsquirrel/aur_photoview

Thanks!

edit: Should I have placed this is in "Creating & Modifying Packages"?

edit 2: I'm pretty sure it should be in "Creating & Modifying Packages". Is there a way to move this, or do I just delete this and create this over there?

Last edited by feinedsquirrel (2021-06-07 04:47:20)

#2 2021-06-07 12:48:03

loqs

Re: Request to verify my first PKGBUILD before submission to AUR

source=(
  "git+${url}.git#commit=${_commit}"
  "${pkgname}.service"
  "${pkgname}.env.patch"
)
sha512sums=(
  'SKIP'
  'SKIP'
  'SKIP'
)

Please provide checksums for the none git entries.

go build -v -o photoview .

Please see https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Go_package_guidelines]Go_package_guidelines

Need to install the following packages:
  husky
Ok to proceed? (y) 

PKGBUILDs should not prompt.  Is there a way to stop this?

#3 2021-06-07 12:59:08

a821

Upstream provides git tags; the source array could be replaced with

source=(
  "git+${url}.git#tag=v${pkgver}"

#4 2021-06-07 16:37:34

feinedsquirrel

a821, I had a pull request accepted upstream that enabled building on distributions that don't bundle cblas with blas. Upstream has not yet provided a version number including the accepted changes. So, until a newer version tag is created, I need to use the commit. I was planning on changing it back to a tag as soon as upstream provides a newer tag. Is that acceptable?

loqs, I traced the prompt back to the call to "npm install" which is used for building the ui. I replaced it with "npm install --yes" and it no longer prompts. I apologize I missed this originally, I knew I was supposed to bypass all prompts, but with so many fixes that I found from reading the wiki pages for "Creating packages" and "Arch package guidelines", it slipped through the cracks. Also, I had 512sums for the included files and was iterating so often on them it was getting annoying to update those sums every time I wanted to test the pkgbuild in the chroot, that I removed them for the time being, during this early development phase. I've added them back now.

One question I had is about the "WorkingDirectory=". Ideally, should it be "/var/lib/photoview" as opposed to the current setting of "/usr/lib/photoview"? Currently the upstream code requires the "data/" (static models the program needs, that I placed in "/usr/lib/photoview") be in the current working directory. I can develop a pull request to configure the location of the data/ directory, but that will take some time. Reason I ask is because if the program does end up generating files in the current working directory (besides the cache which I've already configured), I would think they should 'just end up' in the "/var/lib/phtooview". Thoughts?

Also, I've committed the change for the prompt removal and shasums to the repo listed above.

#5 2021-06-07 16:41:53

Scimmia
Fellow

a821 wrote:

Upstream provides git tags; the source array could be replaced with

source=(
  "git+${url}.git#tag=v${pkgver}"

You'd be surprised how often upstreams change tags. You need to use the hash of the commit or the hash of the tag so you know when they do.

#6 2021-06-07 16:54:12

feinedsquirrel

Scimmia, do you mean that once a new version is released I should still use a "#commit=<commit hash of current version release>"? I saw "#tag=v${pkgver}" in several pkgbuilds I was using as references. Is there a hard rule that applies, or just best practice?

#7 2021-06-07 16:58:02

Scimmia
Fellow

It's just best practice, there are still PKGBUILDs in the repos using that, but it's slowly being changed. As I said, it's amazing how often upstreams change their tags.

For the most part, though, just download a tarball once you get back on the releases.

#8 2021-06-07 17:05:35

feinedsquirrel

Cool, sounds good. Thanks for the info. And once I'm using the tarballs, I'll add the 512sum for that.

#9 2021-06-07 18:25:12

feinedsquirrel

Alright, I've now finished the alterations according to Go_package_guidelines. Anything else I need to change? Or tips, otherwise?

#10 2021-06-07 19:37:38

loqs

Everything looks good,  apart from one thing I just spotted:

ln -s "/usr/lib/${_pkgname}/${_pkgname}" "${pkgdir}/usr/bin"

Creates /usr/bin where bin is a symlink to /usr/lib/photoview/photoview

#11 2021-06-07 19:46:49

feinedsquirrel

Oh, good catch, thanks. I've changed it to:

install -d "${pkgdir}/usr/bin"
  ln -s "/usr/lib/${_pkgname}/${_pkgname}" "${pkgdir}/usr/bin/"

Is that better? I've read "install" is preferred over mkdir and cp, but not sure if it applies in this case.

Last edited by feinedsquirrel (2021-06-07 19:59:02)

#12 2021-06-07 20:55:47

loqs

That fixed it.  install can not perform symlinks so there is no issue with using ln to create them.

#13 2021-06-07 21:32:17

feinedsquirrel

Awesome, thanks for verifying my theory.

Thank you everyone! Hopefully I'll get around to submitting it later this evening.

Board footer